Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First Autumn commute of the year. Two weeks ago was bib shorts and short sleeves, last week was bib shorts with a jacket ontop of a summer base layer (needed in the morning but the jacket's sleeves and the knee warmers came off at night) and today was thin bib longs and long sleeves were needed for both morning and night. The morning seemed busier than usual and drivers more aggressive but when I got to town they all disappeared; it was a bit damp too. Tonight was the exact opposite; traffic was a standstill in town and the few drivers I met on the rest of the commute were nice and courteous.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Leg and arm warmers this morning plus gilet. Headed in a bit later for a meeting and ended up racing my boss in ( she was driving ) as I pulled in behind her about 4km from the office. I was locked up, changed and sat at my desk with a brew and a crumpet by the time she arrived.

Left at 1ish so just ride home in a t-shirt, gilet and my chinos. Was nice then.

2022_09_28_Commute.jpg

Water level still high: large rock clusters that had grass growing on them last month are hidden under waves now.

Last edited:

C R

Guru
View attachment 662684

Water level still high: large rocks clusters that had grass growing on them last month are hidden under waves now.

Looks like it is about to break over the bank.

Looks like it is about to break over the bank.

It isn't; it's not obvious from the picture but the banks on both sides are levees which come up to the height of the bridge. You can -just- see a path on the top on both sides, so the water has lots of space yet.
This is helpful because I think my apartment is on or under the level of the water in this picture.
Maybe next time I'll tale a picture from another angle so it's more obvious.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Definite change for the worst this morning - back into the Bikesters & a short sleeved baselayer under a summer weight long sleeve jersey. Lights will probably be needed for the first few miles either next week or the week after.
Thanks to clear skies it was even colder this morning - the sensor in my back garden was only just registering 5°C as I left at 7am. So you can add to the above arm warmers (couldn't be bothered going upstairs and changing to a long sleeve baselayer) and a buff this morning and waterproofs for the ride home :rain::rain:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Very close overtake by one of those massive range rovers into incoming traffic squeezing me into the kerb.Caught up with it at a mini roundabout so I shouted about how close it had been.Driver shouts back"do you want you're head knocking off ?".
I get onto the pavement,off the bike and wave and reply "come on then".driver sits there thinking about it so I ask again and he drives off.
Knuckle dragging numpty

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Closest I have come to being wiped out on a cycle commute for a long time. An entitled white Tesla driver decided he needed to park in a restricted bus lane, at speed, whilst I was on coming doing 24mph+. Only my gut instinct & quick reactions saved my skin, just. I takes a lot to shake me up on my commute, but that interaction did. Made for a very unsettled last part of commute to work.
I've got to say Tesla drivers are fast becoming my most hated car drivers, up there with those sh!tty Prius things, Smart Cars, Black Cabs & flatbed lorry drivers.

C R

Guru
Top Bottom