Tales from today's commute....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
He bought a multipack and every single one he had tried, had split along the valve seam. They were Presta valve type

Wasn't over or under-inflating, there were no sharp edges on the rims and the holes where the correct size

He kept them to take back.

I've had a batches do exactly the same from Halfords and from Wilkinsons too.

I have since swapped to more expensive slime tubes - which is what I gave him.

Should keep the PF away for a while :becool:

Win some, lose some. But sounds like human error if they have gone at the valve seam. Perhaps he was using a pump without a hose which can rip the valve if not used properly.
I always grab some tubes from Halfords when they have their 3 for 2 offer.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Win some, lose some. But sounds like human error if they have gone at the valve seam. Perhaps he was using a pump without a hose which can rip the valve if not used properly.
I always grab some tubes from Halfords when they have their 3 for 2 offer.

No, I saw his pump and was quite jealous of it (paging @Fnaar)

Nice fold-able Top-peak MTB one - much nicer than my overpriced Crank-Bros piece of crap

Perhaps they send all the crap tubes here to taffyland :laugh:

Lonestar

Veteran
Yet again cop car behind me at Plaistow can't be bothered to indicate....If the cops can't set an example who can? (On return) Oh that's right I stuck behind the bin lorry which was in the cycle box in front so I was behind the lorry and in front of the cop car.Third vehicle was indicating and that's about it.Not too bothered about the cycle box as I wouldn't go to the front of the lorry in that situation anyway.

This morning Anderson Coaches just past Tower Bridge decides to overtake me....we are eyeballing each other for a few seconds..I'm doing 20 mph before he tcuts left into the pavement to park in front of me.Leaving me to manage to get past him with a combination of braking and nice fixie control and as I pass I shout wtf was that all about?....Stop about two hundred yards up the road...fuming...After 5-10 minutes of swearing and gesticulating at the parked idiot I make my way a much calmer person which is probably a good thing.

Somehow I remembered the name as coach driver tried to give me an Anderson Coaches tattoo.Looked it up and it turns out this twot has parked right outside his base HQ.

For some reason I notice the driving round there is pretty shyte anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
20 mile commute in yesterday afternoon as I had to pick some gear and brake cables up, then a hot and humid to work. Shower and several beakers of water to drink!

Rubbish day at work, then I did a 15.5 mile route home to calm my mind. The sky was clear, and the stars were really bright. I turned my main light off for a while so I could see them better.. (I’d stopped by this time )

One strange occurrence, twixt Isham and Orlingbury, a particularly dark section of my ride, there was a person, with a candle in front of his face, standing in some bushes next to the road!!
I know what I saw, and no whacky baccy was involved!
Must confess, I upped my cadence for the next mile :wacko:

Apart from that, a pleasant ride both ways.
Metal box tomorrow, as I have stuff to drop off on the way.

Ciar

Veteran
A lovely ride in this fair Friday, not much wind and the bike feels great :smile:

That was until i got to Stratford Broadway and a lovely builder type gentleman took offence to me being in his road, so the bants ensued and he went merrily onto the next two red lights :crazy: just love London sometimes!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Lots of rabbits on today's commute

Strava not working on the iPhone again :angry:

I was on the receiving end of some harassment from a jackass motorist this morning.

Somehow whilst filtering a long queue of stationary traffic, I WAS AT FAULT for holding this good fellow up on his school run, he blasts his horn twice and gestures at the new cycle superhighway chock full of parked cars and 5 year olds running up the hill whilst looking the other way. This isn't the first time this has happened to me here. At school drop off hour, it often makes more sense to descend on the road. Mr motorist took umbrage to my free flowing movement through traffic as I filtered back into line in front of him to allow oncoming cars to pass and decided to take his frustrations out on me. That's when the horn blasts started.

Two long sharp blasts. I turn round to humour him but stay quite happily in place whilst traffic moves on SLOWLY, still more gesturing and tooting from our friend. I started to get mad, he got the one finger salute. Traffic means he's going nowhere. He then starts revving his engine. Rather than sit and wait for the potential nutcase to ram me from behind, I pick up my bike and get alongside him for a chat. He's now shouting out of the open windows for me to get off the road and onto the cyclepath.

"Err no mate, I'm fine right where I am. I'm perfectly entitled to ride on the road and there's no law that states I must ride on the cycle path."

"Yes there is!".

"No there isn't!"

"Oh yes there is, get off the road!"

...as you can imagine, I know I am now dealing with brain deficit disorder. I was getting exasperated, I was about to drop it and cycle off to the path rather than hang around in traffic, but am left thinking why should I be intimidated and change my course, so I stay put. He then starts revving aggressively again, though I not sure why because there's only 2 meters of clear road ahread. At this point, the blokes 4 year old in the front seat looks like he's about to cry. I point out how his behaviour is intimidating not only me but his own child and he's causing a scene outside the schools on the road. The traffic then starts to inch forward so he moves forward 2 meters at speed and almost collides with the van infront where I had been moments before. I set off to carry on past the twunt and the horn starts again and more abuse out of the window.

I couldn't resist.

"Listen mate, sort yourself out. I can cycle here, and the only one breaking the law is you blasting your horn, haven't you read the highway code."

"Get off the road, you are holding me up." More revving. Traffic in front going nowhere fast.

"You don't own the road. I'm perfectly entitled to ride here, in any case you are getting nowhere with this traffic."

"I do own the road!".

Sadly, today was the one day this year I forgot to mount my camera. He could have been the next Ronny Pickering. Traffic starts moving again at pace and he charges off 50 meters down the road, I keep up and he turns off into a school car park. I decide to follow him and finish this conversation.

Now he was stationary in the car park, he doesn't seem so brave, his revving and shouting isn't so helpful when he has to get out of his car to be greeted by a muscular 6'2" bloke. I tap on the window and say:

"We really need to talk about the highway code mate."

"I'm calling the police, you are intimidating me!"

"Please do call the police, I'll wait here for them with you, I'm sure they will be interested to hear about your harassing cyclists with your horn and revving your engine loudly whilst stationary in traffic. They might also be interested in your missing front number plate and bald tyres".

At this point a fellow cyclist who was a few cars back but had heard the commotion pulls up to check I was ok.

The bloke at this point is clearly cowering in his car and winds his window up, his son looking scared. He sits there for 30 seconds hoping for me to give up and leave. I didn't and he eventually works up the courage to open the window again. I explained I wasn't there to hurt anyone but wanted to point out how idiotic his behaviour was. The bloke decides he doesn't want to talk anymore and then gets out of his car but still threatening to call the police. I welcomed him to call them again. He didn't. He than starts bleating on about how he only wanted me to get out of his way because he was running late.

/facepalm.

"Oh right, why didn't you say so!"

At this point I realise I'm just wasting my time and cycle off with the other fellow to lambast some people's absolute stupidity. Now I realise that this is rarely worth the effort, and there's an element of risk challenging these idiots, but I was in front of him and vulnerable, and when he drove off to the car park he wouldn't have a motor to threaten me with. Given that he felt intimidated by a bloke on a bike, I imagine he might not be so 'brave' next time. It just makes me cross really.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I was on the receiving end of some harassment from a jackass motorist this morning.

Somehow whilst filtering a long queue of stationary traffic, I WAS AT FAULT for holding this good fellow up on his school run, he blasts his horn twice and gestures at the new cycle superhighway chock full of parked cars and 5 year olds running up the hill whilst looking the other way. This isn't the first time this has happened to me here. At school drop off hour, it often makes more sense to descend on the road. Mr motorist took umbrage to my free flowing movement through traffic as I filtered back into line in front of him to allow oncoming cars to pass and decided to take his frustrations out on me. That's when the horn blasts started.

Two long sharp blasts. I turn round to humour him but stay quite happily in place whilst traffic moves on SLOWLY, still more gesturing and tooting from our friend. I started to get mad, he got the one finger salute. Traffic means he's going nowhere. He then starts revving his engine. Rather than sit and wait for the potential nutcase to ram me from behind, I pick up my bike and get alongside him for a chat. He's now shouting out of the open windows for me to get off the road and onto the cyclepath.

"Err no mate, I'm fine right where I am. I'm perfectly entitled to ride on the road and there's no law that states I must ride on the cycle path."

"Yes there is!".

"No there isn't!"

"Oh yes there is, get off the road!"

...as you can imagine, I know I am now dealing with brain deficit disorder. I was getting exasperated, I was about to drop it and cycle off to the path rather than hang around in traffic, but am left thinking why should I be intimidated and change my course, so I stay put. He then starts revving aggressively again, though I not sure why because there's only 2 meters of clear road ahread. At this point, the blokes 4 year old in the front seat looks like he's about to cry. I point out how his behaviour is intimidating not only me but his own child and he's causing a scene outside the schools on the road. The traffic then starts to inch forward so he moves forward 2 meters at speed and almost collides with the van infront where I had been moments before. I set off to carry on past the twunt and the horn starts again and more abuse out of the window.

I couldn't resist.

"Listen mate, sort yourself out. I can cycle here, and the only one breaking the law is you blasting your horn, haven't you read the highway code."

"Get off the road, you are holding me up." More revving. Traffic in front going nowhere fast.

"You don't own the road. I'm perfectly entitled to ride here, in any case you are getting nowhere with this traffic."

"I do own the road!".

Sadly, today was the one day this year I forgot to mount my camera. He could have been the next Ronny Pickering. Traffic starts moving again at pace and he charges off 50 meters down the road, I keep up and he turns off into a school car park. I decide to follow him and finish this conversation.

Now he was stationary in the car park, he doesn't seem so brave, his revving and shouting isn't so helpful when he has to get out of his car to be greeted by a muscular 6'2" bloke. I tap on the window and say:

"We really need to talk about the highway code mate."

"I'm calling the police, you are intimidating me!"

"Please do call the police, I'll wait here for them with you, I'm sure they will be interested to hear about your harassing cyclists with your horn and revving your engine loudly whilst stationary in traffic. They might also be interested in your missing front number plate and bald tyres".

At this point a fellow cyclist who was a few cars back but had heard the commotion pulls up to check I was ok.

The bloke at this point is clearly cowering in his car and winds his window up, his son looking scared. He sits there for 30 seconds hoping for me to give up and leave. I didn't and he eventually works up the courage to open the window again. I explained I wasn't there to hurt anyone but wanted to point out how idiotic his behaviour was. The bloke decides he doesn't want to talk anymore and then gets out of his car but still threatening to call the police. I welcomed him to call them again. He didn't. He than starts bleating on about how he only wanted me to get out of his way because he was running late.

/facepalm.

"Oh right, why didn't you say so!"

At this point I realise I'm just wasting my time and cycle off with the other fellow to lambast some people's absolute stupidity. Now I realise that this is rarely worth the effort, and there's an element of risk challenging these idiots, but I was in front of him and vulnerable, and when he drove off to the car park he wouldn't have a motor to threaten me with. Given that he felt intimidated by a bloke on a bike, I imagine he might not be so 'brave' next time. It just makes me cross really.

Well done. Perhaps he'll think twice next time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I only work half day on a Friday.. lucky me. But I usually go pick up Ian Jnr from school.
This week he has a circus visit so I didn't need to pick him up today.

It's hot and sunny out so thought I should cycle all the way home.
Boy it was really hot and humid. I did set off at 12.30 so sun was at it's hottest. Doh! I had to stop at m ile 20ish for a water top up and grabbed a Magnum lolly to boot...lovely.

So, here's the map. First time I have cycled all the way home since I moved to Barming. That 2 longs distance commutes this week. One in to work, one home. The rest as normal bike/train/bike commutes.

upload_2018-7-6_17-0-9.png

A mile from home
20180706_150907.jpg

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I only work half day on a Friday.. lucky me. But I usually go pick up Ian Jnr from school.
This week he has a circus visit so I didn't need to pick him up today.

It's hot and sunny out so thought I should cycle all the way home.
Boy it was really hot and humid. I did set off at 12.30 so sun was at it's hottest. Doh! I had to stop at m ile 20ish for a water top up and grabbed a Magnum lolly to boot...lovely.

So, here's the map. First time I have cycled all the way home since I moved to Barming. That 2 longs distance commutes this week. One in to work, one home. The rest as normal bike/train/bike commutes.

View attachment 418011

A mile from home
View attachment 418012
Rather epic. I did a couple of weeks of full there and back (20 or so each way) last July, when the Honda was in the garage (for the first lot of multiple visits trying to get engine gremlins sorted). Best time coming back (I was always faster on the return!) was 1:19, 15 mph average. In February the Honda was back in, I did one (rather slow) full ride out, mostly did train/bike combo. The train is slower than me though (in summer at least)! Now the Honda is (hopefully, touch wood and other lucky items) fixed and I've got my Yamaha as backup, less of a problem. Might still cycle it from time to time.

Top Bottom