Tall people dont have long to live

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Phoebus

Taller people are closer to the sun, so are more at risk of skin cancer.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The best one i heard was some chap got a grant several years ago of a couple of thousand pounds to conduct reserch into why Hebden bridge attracts so many lesbians , and to do this research he spent most of his time in the local pubs talking to lesbians, now call me old fashioned if you will but i would have done that for free !
It's all a bit obvious isn't it? A lesbian couple move to a nice town which is surrounded by nice countryside and don't get hassled by the townsfolk. Their friends come to visit and like the place and decide to move (t)here too. Before you know it, there is some momentum building up. The community open a Gay/Lesbian wine bar which makes things even more welcoming. Life is good.

I'd only have charged £500 for that insight!

How about the University of Bradford paying consultants £20,000 to come up with a new name for the institution created by merging Bradford College and the University? For their £20k, they came up with:

1. Bradford University
  2. University of Bradford
  3. The University of Bradford
I'd have only charged £10k for that! :thumbsup:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
It's all a bit obvious isn't it? A lesbian couple move to a nice town which is surrounded by nice countryside and don't get hassled by the townsfolk. Their friends come to visit and like the place and decide to move (t)here too. Before you know it, there is some momentum building up. The community open a Gay/Lesbian wine bar which makes things even more welcoming. Life is good.

I'd only have charged £500 for that insight!

How about the University of Bradford paying consultants £20,000 to come up with a new name for the institution created by merging Bradford College and the University? For their £20k, they came up with:

1. Bradford University
  2. University of Bradford
  3. The University of Bradford
I'd have only charged £10k for that! :thumbsup:
I'd have undercut you by £5K

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd have done it for a tenner....

The thread title is a masterpiece of Mail/Expressery. I saw the story on the news this morning, and the different in cancer rates was something like 150 cases in 10,000. I suspect it's only on the brink of being a significant difference. And the point may simply be that taller people have more cells in their bodies, hence more potential places for cancer to start.

Taller people are, of course, also more likely to suffer from headaches, especially if they live or work in an environment with low beams.

There was a great Express headline a while back, we saw it in the recycling. "It's ok to eat salt again!" it salt, with a sub headline of "Health fascists proved wrong after lecturing us for years" (seriously, they said 'health fascists'). The first few paragraphs claimed that new study showed that cutting salt content in the diet did lower blood pressure, but had no long term health benefits.

Inside, the story continued. Turns out the gist of the report was "yes, cutting salt by a little bit has no long term health benefits. We ought to be cutting it by much much more!" So they'd misrepresented it on the front page, but actually reported it correctly inside!

Chilternrides

I have heard tell that inhaling and exhaling will eventually lead to death.
And if that's not bad enough, the opposite is true too.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I have heard tell that inhaling and exhaling will eventually lead to death.
And if that's not bad enough, the opposite is true too.

I have also been led to believe that the biggest cause of death is being born!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Was it Marcus Brigstocke, who combed the Daily Mail for a month, and made a note of every single thing they claimed caused cancer, and everything they reported as preventing it?

Coffee, among several other things, made both lists.

Trouble is, the human body, and medicine, are very, very complicated. News, and especially tabloid news, has to be pretty simple for everyone to get it. Somewhere along the way, all the subtle detail is going to be lost.

On the funding issue, BTW, I suspect that this finding is just one thing that's cropped up within a much bigger longer term project. I don't suppose anyone ever applied for funding on the basis of wanting to see if tall people get more cancer. The correlation will probably have cropped up somewhere within the mass of data collected, and someone's followed it up and written it up, and some bright media spark has spotted it. I'm sure there are dozens of reports that never get the same limelight...

Arch

Married to Night Train
I've always thought that tall old people are less numerous than short old people.

Ah, but that could be that as we age, we tend to lose height, through a combination of our soines compressing, and sometimes, stooping. So they might have started out taller, and ended up shorter.

Top Bottom