Targets for 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice thread!
I’ve started on my virtual LeJog, but didn’t manage to capture all my rides since Jan 1st, so only 50 miles in today. I have a relaxed time limit, and it’s all based only around outdoor cycling, but it’s just about achievable, if things go to plan.
More cycling outdoors, and make some changes in the garden.

JhnBssll

Veteran
My main goal for the year is to try and get back to my Summer '19 fitness level. I'd managed to get my weight down to 97kg and my FTP up to 264 and was really enjoying my cycling as a result. Unfortunately I did less than a thousand miles last year and piled on most of the weight I'd lost so I started 2021 at 113kg and an FTP of 199 :whistle: I've been using The Sufferfest since about October last year after deciding to try various things to try and kickstart my cycling again. It took a while, but it has worked - I'm currenty 7 weeks in to the 10 week "Couch to Crusher" training plan and I've gone up to 224W FTP and definitely feel stronger for it. My weight still needs some work as I've only dropped one kilo to 112kg but I'm telling myself there must have been a muscle mass increase in there so not beating myself up just yet :laugh: In the next week or so I'll start to concentrate on dropping some kg's so I'm ready to keep up with my clubmates in the real world once this latest lockdown is finally behind us :okay: I've kept last years 4000mile target on Strava but I'm not fussed if I hit it or not, just so long as I maintain progress and don't lose it again - it's depressing how quickly it fades compared to how hard you have to work to gain it back :laugh:

OP
OP
theboxers

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Next milestone achieved <250lb
I am now below my 250lb, 113.4kg, 17st 12lb target.

Today I got to 248.5lb, 112.7kg, 17st 10lb 8oz.

Over 23lb, 10.5kg, 1st 9lb since Jan 1st 2021.

I'm not tracking weight daily or even weekly. I am just doing my weigh in once a month or so currently. Only downside is I've had to use a different set of scales. I am not sure how much that will factor in to accuracy. We'll see next month.

I am now a full sack of spuds or bag of cement lighter than I was when I got back to riding.

I am close to being on target with my distance goal of 5000km in a year, currently @42%. No idea how I'm doing with climbing though.

Onwards and downwards :mrpig:

After lockdown and wife shielding my goals are pretty low

firstly - be able to get up in the morning without having to check wife is breathing before going downstairs - pretty low bar but hey

secondly - eat more healthily - wife already thinks I am stupidly healthy because I eat green stuff every day and sometime even salad - but anyway

Next - cycle most days every week - and gradually reduce ebike assist level
Getting on well with this - normal assist is down to minimum (not counting OFF) but I have avoided the BIG hill on the route due to illness followed by hayfever/asthma - so the hill looms

after that - maybe have a holiday - abroad is probably out but 'looking at old stuff' might be a possibility. Hopefully the 'old stuff' could have been able to fly with weapons at some point - or floats on water - but I suspect Roman or earlier may be the limit.

OP
OP
theboxers

theboxers

Next - cycle most days every week - and gradually reduce ebike assist level
Getting on well with this - normal assist is down to minimum (not counting OFF) but I have avoided the BIG hill on the route due to illness followed by hayfever/asthma - so the hill looms
I managed to get back to riding consistently via use of an ebike. Today I managed to go up a hill I have not completed before without assist, was on a non ebike with lower gearing. I was buzzed after. It isn't long, about 250m, but it peaks out @15% :sweat:.

OP
OP
theboxers

theboxers

Wow I feel like I am going in the right direction.

Weight is down again. Not by much but it's down.

Power and VO2max are now in places I thought I'd never see.

FTP 265W
VO2max is 44 up from 32-33

I just need to shed some, a lot more, rubber to make use of the extra power I currently have.

mjd1988

Guru
Wow I feel like I am going in the right direction.

Weight is down again. Not by much but it's down.

Power and VO2max are now in places I thought I'd never see.

FTP 265W
VO2max is 44 up from 32-33

I just need to shed some, a lot more, rubber to make use of the extra power I currently have.

:notworthy: well done!

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Wish I could say the same 😭

I'm back to my pre cycling weight of 78kg when I started in 2015 😭😭 ... Can't believe that I got down to 64kg when I was riding the BRVR goats challenges 😪

Well done @theboxers

OP
OP
theboxers

theboxers

Wish I could say the same 😭

I'm back to my pre cycling weight of 78kg when I started in 2015 😭😭 ... Can't believe that I got down to 64kg when I was riding the BRVR goats challenges 😪

Well done @theboxers
Thanks but I've got 30 odd kg to go to get to your weight :cry:

BRVR is still my platform of choice. It hurts whenever I use it. :cursing:

OP
OP
theboxers

theboxers

:sad:😢 Weight seems to be stuck at the moment. Back to 112kg, up just over a kg in a month. Need to address my eating habits and eat more bunny food xx(.

Fitness seems to be coming along fairly well. The ride yesterday was long but not stressful, for me, avg 109 HR. My brother not so much, he is apparently sore today, :laugh:.

I tend not to struggle too much going up longer hills, to about 6%, any more. After that, unless I'm on the GT gearing, it can start to hurt :cry:.

CXRAndy

Guru
:sad:😢 Weight seems to be stuck at the moment. Back to 112kg, up just over a kg in a month. Need to address my eating habits and eat more bunny food xx(.

Fitness seems to be coming along fairly well. The ride yesterday was long but not stressful, for me, avg 109 HR. My brother not so much, he is apparently sore today, :laugh:.

I tend not to struggle too much going up longer hills, to about 6%, any more. After that, unless I'm on the GT gearing, it can start to hurt :cry:.

Ive been looking at fat based diet/temporary fasting/ketosis regimes.

Basically the premise, fast processed sugars are bad. Lowering your carb intake and slightly increasing proteins with a good measure of leafy greens, combined with eating in a 6 hour window per day. This flips the body into burning body fats as opposed to carbs. By eating carbs the body produces insulin and blocks the access of stored body fat. I tried something a few years ago and felt very little crashes energy wise compared to high carb diet

OP
OP
theboxers

theboxers

Ive been looking at fat based diet/temporary fasting/ketosis regimes.

Basically the premise, fast processed sugars are bad. Lowering your carb intake and slightly increasing proteins with a good measure of leafy greens, combined with eating in a 6 hour window per day. This flips the body into burning body fats as opposed to carbs. By eating carbs the body produces insulin and blocks the access of stored body fat. I tried something a few years ago and felt very little crashes energy wise compared to high carb diet
That's my problem. Although I know what not to eat I can't help myself :blush:. My biggest issue portion control. I like food lots of it :mrpig: and I get midnight munchies :blush:

I'll get back on track at some point, soon rather than later, hopefully :dry:.

CXRAndy

Guru
That's my problem. Although I know what not to eat I can't help myself :blush:. My biggest issue portion control. I like food lots of it :mrpig: and I get midnight munchies :blush:

I'll get back on track at some point, soon rather than later, hopefully :dry:.

Choose lower glycemic index foods, which wont spike your insulin levels. Eat your required calories within a smaller window and fast for the rest of the day by drinking mainly water with some small amount of nutrients/salts.

I did 15hr fast yesterday, with only water. You still need to be in calorie deficit, just not massively

Top Bottom