Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Always glad to get an email... you certainly destroyed my attempt. Two weeks of beer, crisps and haagen daz really took its toll. Better not look at the scales for a while...
And Bill and AAAC in a legue of their own nearly a minute further ahead.

I didn't feel great myself really and thought I was scuppered at the start when I was stuck 3 seconds behind you and AAAC for ages despite my best efforts but somehow I managed to catch up and stick with AAAC's ghost while at some point you lost touch. I certainly noticed the recent lack of regular bkool sessions with heart rate at 170bpm despite the fact I've done a fair bit of outdoor cycling instead - it's a different type of workout!

Daddy Pig

Veteran
And Bill and AAAC in a legue of their own nearly a minute further ahead.

I didn't feel great myself really and thought I was scuppered at the start when I was stuck 3 seconds behind you and AAAC for ages despite my best efforts but somehow I managed to catch up and stick with AAAC's ghost while at some point you lost touch. I certainly noticed the recent lack of regular bkool sessions with heart rate at 170bpm despite the fact I've done a fair bit of outdoor cycling instead - it's a different type of workout!
I think the bkool workouts can be relentless. You need your body to respond to energy needs continually.... that's what I really noticed after two weeks out the saddle. Outdoors I think you naturally come off the gas subconsciously to meet the bodies needs.

bridgy

Legendary Member
I think the bkool workouts can be relentless. You need your body to respond to energy needs continually.... that's what I really noticed after two weeks out the saddle. Outdoors I think you naturally come off the gas subconsciously to meet the bodies needs.
Yeah I think also the real world forces you to regularly back off a bit due to junctions, corners, road conditions and general self preservation - all ofwhich obviously aren't considerations on the trainer. Closest I've got to a bkool race effort in real life is a team 12 hour relay race round Brands Hatch where none of those factors come into it (hopefully doing that event again in September)

Breedon

Legendary Member
It's funny you guys say that. I never feel like doing one dsciplime fully prepares me for the other.

i always start the sunnier months feeling out of condition physically, and I start the winter months feeling I need to work harder on my cardio to compete on the turbo.

That's very true I think for most of us, when on the turbo you can give every last ounce of energy you can muster if you bonk that's fine climb of the bike and sit in front of the TV and recover.

when you bonk in the real world that's different happened to me once it was horrendous so you take your time to make sure you get home as it's more about endurance irl.

I do from time to time do high intensity on the roads PB hunting but there short and close to home

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
***Bkool update***

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Went to Halfords yesterday and bike is booked in for Friday (more likely I'll take it in Sunday afternoon as they need the bike for 48 hours). Work to be done:

• change front and rear tyres to be Conti 4 season 25s
  • change rear gearing from 11-28 to 11-32
  • full service
  • saddle bag
  • extra water bottle cage and bottle
Off Amazon i've ordered some bib shorts, new top and gloves

Plans going well for the DD :thumbsup: Looking to do a slow ride later to get some miles into the legs :tongue:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Went to Halfords yesterday and bike is booked in for Friday (more likely I'll take it in Sunday afternoon as they need the bike for 48 hours). Work to be done:

Plans going well for the DD :thumbsup: Looking to do a slow ride later to get some miles into the legs :tongue:
:thumbsup:

I've just ordered new cassettes as well a SRAM 1130 11-36 for the GT Grade and a SRAM 1030 11-36 for the BMC Alpenchallenge. They are reportedly compatable with Shimano. I've also ordered a 48t chainring for the GT Grade. That will give me identical gearing for both bikes apart for the little ring on the BMC.

GT Grade
48/36 11-36

BMC AC02
48/36/26 11-36

I'm not sure what bike I'll be using. But if I don't have the gearing for the hills I am seriously in trouble :cry:

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I'm going to venture out in the real world for the first time in 3 years!!!! :crazy: And first time ever in SPDs ... expecting to fall off at least once in the ride :banghead:
Update - I got my gear on, stepped out the door, and the heavens opened. Gone black over Bill's Mother's and not looking to get better any time soon. Looks like it's back onto the turbo then!! Always thought real world cycling was overrated :biggrin:

Top Bottom