Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You can use my ghost, it took me bloody ages!

The bit just after half way was interminable, 10% for ages, my average watts was OK at the half way point, but just went down and down ...

Thought I was keeping with Bill for a while, turns out it was his ghost! Adam disappeared, then did the Hokey Cokey, coming and going, then I started to close back in on Bill (or his ghost) only to discover he'd stopped, leaving me alone in the race with a couple of turbo charged bots that finished in around 35 minutes and two strangers who were killing me.

I almost gave up at an hour, as it showed almost another hour to go, but just plugged away getting slightly slower all the time. At 10% the KICKR is just so hard I had to use the 32 tooth rear gear and could barely turn the pedals, which I don't understand as I've climbed much steeper hills on a 28, though not as long I guess.

The two strangers eventually dropped out leaving me in first place, so I guess I get some reward for perseverance, then I discover Bill and Adam had bailed and done a completely separate ride, and beaten me by 20 odd minutes! :B)

Now I've got cramp in my legs ... not going to be a comfortable night.

Nearly 2 hours steep and relentless climbing is right at the limit of my capabilities, I think I may limit myself to an hour to an hour 15 or so in future.

On the positive side, my heart rate barely got above 160 (my max is around 185) so it was mainly just the strain on my leg muscles.

I think you guys put a lot more effort into it than me, but I'm not allowed to over exert myself after last years hospital visit! The wife thinks I'm mad as it is ... :scratch:

Geoff
Thanks for the offer of using your ghost Geoff but your description of events doing it yourself does not fill me with much confidence.
I know I can do it and not being cocky I know I could go up a mountain for 3 hours if need be but if I was just a cyclist then that would be fine but when it interferes with the running then that's a problem. I may myself just limit myself to an hour like you, i'll see how I am, legs are a tad sore today after yesterday :thumbsdown:

BILL S

Guru
I did that WHOLE ride, standing up. An hour and a half out of the saddle. I need to retrain myself. If you look at Bill's stats against mine, it speaks volumes. His cadence was way up on mine, and I was up on power. If I could get my legs spinning faster, and for longer, I might make some improvements.
QUOTE]

This is interesting because it shows how different our setups must be (or tyres at least). I spent at the most one minute out of the saddle because my wheel starts to spin within a few seconds and the power drops by 50 watts or so. The last tyre was a lot stickier so I could do more out of the saddle work but this one is smooth and low friction which seems to help with everything but out of the saddle. You must also weigh more than me (well at 6' 4" you probably should anyway) as you made around 10 watts more power than me. I thought we started out similar weights but I lost 2kg so now 76kg in the bkool stats. I find that with high power/low cadence my knees start to hurt after a bit and although it doesn't feel like it the power figures seem to show more power at lower torque and higher spin speeds. Although I try to vary speeds to get a rest I tend to stick with the higher cadence.
Glad we got it out of the way anyway. My legs are telling me I had a right work out so not quite sure what to pick for tonight's ride.

Reactions: Add
Lol, sorry Geoff, never let a builder start the session. I made a right hash of it. Too many Bill's about. We did wait to see if you would rejoin us, but I guess you had already committed yourself by that point. It was brutal and messy mind you. I let Bill win in the end, you know how he gets if he loses! :rolleyes:

I did that WHOLE ride, standing up. An hour and a half out of the saddle. I need to retrain myself. If you look at Bill's stats against mine, it speaks volumes. His cadence was way up on mine, and I was up on power. If I could get my legs spinning faster, and for longer, I might make some improvements.

Might need to velodrome a load of sessions, and just get spinning, as opposed to trying to use brute strength. Strong in the arm, and weak in the head as they say on site.....not to me of course, I am weak in both departments.
Blimey fair play doing the whole thing standing up! are you not on Strava like the rest of us then Adam? I would definitely give you some Kudos for that sort of effort :bravo:

Rob H

Eat, Sleep, Climb, Repeat
I have a problem... my bkool will just not talk to the software, thats 2 different ant+ sticks (non garmin) an imac, a laptop and an ipad all tested...:banghead:

The software is picking up HRM and Cadence so isolated to the unit. Has anyone had this? any suggestions? im loathed to go via wiggle as ill not see it again till summer. ..

Rob H

Eat, Sleep, Climb, Repeat

Im a 'stander' too adam, do you use a coimpact crank? i found using that let me sit at below 9%

Add

Diet starts tomorrow
I'm planning on tackling the climb tonight, say a 7pm start, aiming for 1 hour 40 - 1 hour 45, or just getting to the top. Anyone interested?

Yes thankyou, did appreciate the moral support, it is helpful, I will jump in tonight hopefully and offer you a bit of support myself. Good luck, she's a beast, but a very satisfying achievement.

Add

Diet starts tomorrow
Blimey fair play doing the whole thing standing up! are you not on Strava like the rest of us then Adam? I would definitely give you some Kudos for that sort of effort :bravo:
I find standing up is more like running. And what is Strava? What does it do and is it worth having?

I find standing up is more like running. And what is Strava? What does it do and is it worth having?
Lol you old dinosaur Add, Strava is where you upload your rides and runs and earn Kom's (king of the mountains) and segments etc, it gives you something to aim for and good info.
Say you uploaded one of your mountain efforts from Bkool you can upload it and you get lots of info on it, :see below.
https://app.strava.com/activities/240092769
On the compact question it may be easier to just read the link below.
http://www.chainreactionblogs.com/becky/2011/09/28/triple-or-compact-crank-what-should-i-get/

Reactions: Add
Top Bottom