Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BILL S

Guru
3rd day sitting in hospital so no riding for me. HID rushed in Thursday, emergency op yesterday, recovering today. Hoping to take her home tonight as don't fancy another 24 hours in a chair! Only positive is I get to stay with her all day and not just visiting hours as I'm her carer and there aren't enough nurses to help her eat etc. The next time you see my ride on Strava you'll know we've finally escaped!!

And you back contracting again Carl (I seem to remember) means it's hurting your Scottish parts too so a doubly get well soon to Mrs Whorty from me!
Hope your back and neck are surviving that chair.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Watched the end of yesterday's stage at the cow and calf Ilkley yesterday, tough climb to finish the day for those racing. Off to Halifax for the start tomorrow and Leeds for the finish. It's going to be warm. I'll wave if I see Jim.
View attachment 407591

Yay... :hello:

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
3rd day sitting in hospital so no riding for me. HID rushed in Thursday, emergency op yesterday, recovering today. Hoping to take her home tonight as don't fancy another 24 hours in a chair! Only positive is I get to stay with her all day and not just visiting hours as I'm her carer and there aren't enough nurses to help her eat etc. The next time you see my ride on Strava you'll know we've finally escaped!!

Get well soon Mrs McWhortfacemiester.. sorry to hear your unwell... soon be on the mend. :thumbsup:

AAAC 76C

Large Member

All the best to both of you and I hope everything goes well.
Which Hospital are you in?

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
All the best to both of you and I hope everything goes well.
Which Hospital are you in?
Salisbury, which, as hospitals go is not too bad. We've escaped now and back home. HID is ok but still in recovery mode

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. Can't say what the op was as personal but hopefully we've sorted it now.

Hope to ride tomorrow. Need to stay fit to keep up with @Randyberlin :okay:

BILL S

Guru
I thought you were toying with me after you caught me then dropped back. I pumped up the tire oiled the chain but most importantly dropped my weight. I love to eat and it's been 6 weeks of not eating anything good in preparation for the double devil. It's tough but I'll be foraging through the UK in 26 days. You will be able to follow my progress by the news reports of bakery outages and cider shortages.

Randy, I think it's great that you're coming here to do the Double Devil! Don't be put off by anything I have to say about it, even though I'm going to tell you how tough it is and there is always the option to get off and push up some of those steeper hills. I've never seen anything steeper apart from short bits of mountain bike trails where you usually get up using momentum. These ones will make you wish you have lower gearing even if you've already lowered it. I used an 11-32 cassette but wished I had an 11-34 on the steepest climb at which point you're travelling incredibly slowly and almost wheelying over the back, and struggling to balance. The scenery is great though, even though you are already used to fantastic scenery I'm sure you will enjoy this. I have no idea whose all going this year but it's got more popular by us lot each year, with me only making it to the first two years when it was just two or three of us. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

ps Last night when I nearly caught up with you along with Keiths ghost, at that point I thought I'd play it safe and stay a little behind you as I saved my energy for what I assumed would be an attack on you in the final stages. It made my day that you totally ruined my plan to be right alongside you with a minute to go. ^_^

Randy, I think it's great that you're coming here to do the Double Devil! Don't be put off by anything I have to say about it, even though I'm going to tell you how tough it is and there is always the option to get off and push up some of those steeper hills. I've never seen anything steeper apart from short bits of mountain bike trails where you usually get up using momentum. These ones will make you wish you have lower gearing even if you've already lowered it. I used an 11-32 cassette but wished I had an 11-34 on the steepest climb at which point you're travelling incredibly slowly and almost wheelying over the back, and struggling to balance. The scenery is great though, even though you are already used to fantastic scenery I'm sure you will enjoy this. I have no idea whose all going this year but it's got more popular by us lot each year, with me only making it to the first two years when it was just two or three of us. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time.

ps Last night when I nearly caught up with you along with Keiths ghost, at that point I thought I'd play it safe and stay a little behind you as I saved my energy for what I assumed would be an attack on you in the final stages. It made my day that you totally ruined my plan to be right alongside you with a minute to go. ^_^
One word of warning. For the last 15 years of credit card touring I've always gone solo. Please don't count on me to point out road hazards or alert you to turns etc. I
I think by the end of the day you and the others will be swearing under your breath about the stupid yank.

Or maybe not. It could be soon after the begining and out loud.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
@Jim Brown ,
How was it? How about a recap?

Edit: Did you see @kipster ?

It was tough.

lovely weather. Sunburned arms and a sore throat.. not sure why but it’s sorer than a sore thing this morning.

So.. the ride was great, lovely weather and off half hour earlier, so was on my way at 6.30. I managed to get over all the earlier climbs including the awful climb out of Pately Bridge... and was heading back down towards Otley where HID and a few friends were waiting at the top of the Chevin - a killer climb. I got up that - just, and had a natter with F&F, then on my way, one more climb and coast into Leeds. My chain snapped... ! I fixed the chain and got on my way, with about 5 miles to go.. click, click, click... from the chain, so soft pedalling was the plan.. sailed all the way down into Leeds, through Kirkstall, up towards the Headrow.. 500... 400.. 300... 250.... SNAP... it went... I walked the last 200 in front of a few thousand folk, high fiving kids and all a little embarrassing. Not the finish I envisaged, but finish I did. I await the photos with trepidation.

I didn’t see Kipster probably because I did not look up - my eyes fixed on the line... but if Kipster was at the line, he couldn’t have missed me.. :blush::blush:

Top Bottom