Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perswe

Über Member
@BILL S @perswe managed to claw back 10 seconds on stage 3 but couldn't stay with Bill and @AAAC 76C in the last 2kms. 10 seconds could be critical come the end of the league given how close it is and I suspect per will be relishing the climbing stage 5.

Well, climbing...I'm not so sure. I'll give it a go of course, but I'm not really the climbing type. I'm in one of the hill climb groups (Hum day hill climbs) and everytime the inclination is above 10% it goes into virtual speed and then I fall back very quickly, no matter what I do. So if stage 5 is steep, then I will be slow I'm afraid. Of course it can't be my legs, lungs or socks (yes they are white)...so it must be bkool.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
What's virtual speed and whats difference does it make
They are all virtual speeds but this is my take.

The blue speed numbers, in bkool, are the softwares 'calculated' speeds that are different to wheel speed. These generally happen on steep descents or ascents.

For example going up the Alpe d'Huez climb in bkool will give me about 6-7kmh, in blue, as my speed even though my wheel speed on my edge will show 9-10kmh. This is down to my registered weight, resistance set, slope % and my calculated power (from wheel speed on bkool trainers) being used are outside the zone where the software thinks should be achievable.

On the long steep descents, e.g. Alpe d'Huez going down, I could be doing a wheel speed of 10mph but the software will show 70mph in blue. Again the weight, slope % and all the other parameters feed into what should be achievable. These are the speeds displayed.

Ultimately virtual speeds make little difference in free riding. However if you have the power to overcome the set resistance or are able to put the variables outside the expected values, you can gain a slight advantage whilst racing. This is more of a limit in the software than a physical limit.

Finally, if racing, if you can put the variables outside the expected there will probably someone else who can also do it at the same point. So it evens out in the long run.

theboxers

@theboxers did you try manually adjusting the KICKR Climb to see if Bkool registered the altered resistance?

Geoff
@gbrown not yet. Things have got in the way of any experimentation I intended to do. I am now just getting back into the grove of indoor riding after a couple of months off the bike. I need to get my fitness back to what it was before attempting any of that.

What I have done though is put some more miles on the Cube hybrid and I'm really enjoying it. The assistance is noticeable, but I'm able to propell the bike along on the flat at above the speed limit cutout (15mph) without much difficulty. You can feel the assistance cut in and out as you go along even at the lowest setting. Compared to my GT Grade or BMC you can feel the additional weight when stationary but it is not noticeable, to me, when moving.

What I have seen though is my power balance is changed in outdoor riding. I'm not sure if it is down to the outdoor ride (and my action changing) or the way the bike itself applies the power. Again another experiment I need to do to try and find out.

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
@gbrown not yet. Things have got in the way of any experimentation I intended to do. I am now just getting back into the grove of indoor riding after a couple of months off the bike. I need to get my fitness back to what it was before attempting any of that.

What I have done though is put some more miles on the Cube hybrid and I'm really enjoying it. The assistance is noticeable, but I'm able to propell the bike along on the flat at above the speed limit cutout (15mph) without much difficulty. You can feel the assistance cut in and out as you go along even at the lowest setting. Compared to my GT Grade or BMC you can feel the additional weight when stationary but it is not noticeable, to me, when moving.

What I have seen though is my power balance is changed in outdoor riding. I'm not sure if it is down to the outdoor ride (and my action changing) or the way the bike itself applies the power. Again another experiment I need to do to try and find out.

By power balance, do you mean between left and right?

I am sure I am going to buy a Cube Hybrid or similar bike at some time, I'm just persevering with the unassisted one as it is less than a year old as was rather expensive! Eventually trundling up hills sitting on my heart rate limit will get to me, and I'll do something about it. My wife is quite keen to do some assisted cycling in the lake district, as she loves the area but doesn't like steep climbs, so it may be two assisted bikes... :eek:

The Cube currently looks the best for me, I like the fazua motor and the fact it uses normal wheels, and I like the di2, but it would be good to have a cheaper Ultegra di2 option.

Geoff

CXRAndy

Guru
There are some very nice electric bikes coming to the market. Ive only ever ridden one E bike, that was an public hire bike in Copenhagen. The pull was nice. There were many going up Ventoux last time I was there and a damned sight faster than me.

theboxers

By power balance, do you mean between left and right?

I am sure I am going to buy a Cube Hybrid or similar bike at some time, I'm just persevering with the unassisted one as it is less than a year old as was rather expensive! Eventually trundling up hills sitting on my heart rate limit will get to me, and I'll do something about it. My wife is quite keen to do some assisted cycling in the lake district, as she loves the area but doesn't like steep climbs, so it may be two assisted bikes... :eek:

The Cube currently looks the best for me, I like the fazua motor and the fact it uses normal wheels, and I like the di2, but it would be good to have a cheaper Ultegra di2 option.

Geoff
Yes my L/R power balance. It shows the same on both the V1 AND V3 pedals I have but oddly reversed between to two :huh::unsure::crazy::rofl:

AAAC 76C

Large Member
25 17
steady ghost but harder second half
i deliberately shot off to get my ghost ahead of you on thursday i hope
keep going as i flatten out and stick to a cadence till half way and then ramp up slowly
negative split as team moneybags say

Top Bottom