Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Catching up with messages when I was on holiday last week, I thought you said you were riding your Tacx Neo on Bkool now. Is that correct? What happened to the Bkool Pro, as I thought you used to swap between them when you switched from Zwift to Bkool and vice versa?

The reason I'm asking is to see if you think the latest updates to the Bkool Sim have levelled the performance between Bkool and non-Bkool trainers?

I renewed my Bkool subscription for 3 months after the previous major update. I rode it with my Neo and thought it felt quite realistic, but it still didn't seem a level playing field. I rode against one of my ghosts from when I was using my Bkool Pro but got nowhere near the ghost.

If you think Bkool have now overcome that problem, I may give it another go. I'm very happy with Zwift, the variety of rides and the Cyclechat races, but I suppose like a lot of people I've got a slight soft spot for Bkool and wouldn't mind using it for a bit of variety and racing if its now a credible platform.

I have been using BigRing VR. The videos are good quality and quite varied, but the solo riding can get dull and a reliable Bkool might be a better option.

Yes, I use the NEO2 on Bkool now (don't have my Bkool Pro home at the moment). The BSIM version 5 made my Pro impossible to use, spinning at 100 RPM on the velodrome and going 30 kph, didn't seem real. And that was when it worked at all! :smile:

It is difficult to say that the playing field has been levelled completely, as some Pro's has been punished more than others. But the Pro's advantage over all other trainers is gone. Most noticable it is in the starts, where my NEO lagged many seconds behind the Pro, making it virtually impossible to jump on the wheel of (the fast) Pro riders.

Like written yesterday, the speed of your old ghosts are from the old "roller-speed" calculation and useless with the new speed calculation based on power (watt). It would be the same as comparing the same road ride done on a mountainbike and a racebike.

Come join us tonight for nice spin - it's only about 12 km and 20-25 minutes. :hello:

Del C

Veteran
Yes, I use the NEO2 on Bkool now (don't have my Bkool Pro home at the moment). The BSIM version 5 made my Pro impossible to use, spinning at 100 RPM on the velodrome and going 30 kph, didn't seem real. And that was when it worked at all! :smile:

It is difficult to say that the playing field has been levelled completely, as some Pro's has been punished more than others. But the Pro's advantage over all other trainers is gone. Most noticable it is in the starts, where my NEO lagged many seconds behind the Pro, making it virtually impossible to jump on the wheel of (the fast) Pro riders.

Like written yesterday, the speed of your old ghosts are from the old "roller-speed" calculation and useless with the new speed calculation based on power (watt). It would be the same as comparing the same road ride done on a mountainbike and a racebike.

Come join us tonight for nice spin - it's only about 12 km and 20-25 minutes. :hello:
Can't ride tonight as I'm going out this afternoon, but may give it another go.

The start problem being fixed sounds good. I can remember being glued to the start line on the Neo while the Pro riders disappeared up the road.

Catching up with messages when I was on holiday last week, I thought you said you were riding your Tacx Neo on Bkool now. Is that correct? What happened to the Bkool Pro, as I thought you used to swap between them when you switched from Zwift to Bkool and vice versa?

The reason I'm asking is to see if you think the latest updates to the Bkool Sim have levelled the performance between Bkool and non-Bkool trainers?

I renewed my Bkool subscription for 3 months after the previous major update. I rode it with my Neo and thought it felt quite realistic, but it still didn't seem a level playing field. I rode against one of my ghosts from when I was using my Bkool Pro but got nowhere near the ghost.

If you think Bkool have now overcome that problem, I may give it another go. I'm very happy with Zwift, the variety of rides and the Cyclechat races, but I suppose like a lot of people I've got a slight soft spot for Bkool and wouldn't mind using it for a bit of variety and racing if its now a credible platform.

I have been using BigRing VR. The videos are good quality and quite varied, but the solo riding can get dull and a reliable Bkool might be a better option.
If anything, for my weight, I bet the Bkool is a disadvantage. I have to work harder than real life to get the same speeds.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
Can't ride tonight as I'm going out this afternoon, but may give it another go.

The start problem being fixed sounds good. I can remember being glued to the start line on the Neo while the Pro riders disappeared up the road.

You still start a bit slow, but so do the Pro riders. Maybe they even start slower, as the BSIM update apparently also increased the lag from putting down power to actually see it on screen. Maybe it is down to the extra calculation of "real" watt from the "reported watts" from the Pro's firmware.

Let's see what next weeks version fixes/breaks. :smile:

I wont be on tonight, went out and battled wind ( weather not the beer and curry from last night) ready for a sleep now
Not on Strava, so didn't happen.
@Bored Man did a 22 mile hike. It is in both Strava and Komoot so counts twice. (Great picture at mile 11 Jimmie. You should make a print)

Edit: Nevermind. It showed up in Strava. Nice ride.A page full of PRs.

Last edited:

BILL S

Guru
The "later on getting revenge" has me worried. I know you are playing the long game and that December, January and February are going to involve weekly humiliation just when I think I might win as you storm through with 500m to go, or put in some ridiculous dig 4kms out and stay away when we are relaxing ready for the big finish.
:laugh: You know me too well. Well you understand my intention, but you may be a little too optimistic about me putting it into practice.

BILL S

Guru
If its ok with you lot, I'll start the re-run tonight at 5pm uk time (warmup start time).

The ride is "Moose Rd to Dornans" so for anyone unfamiliar with the league workings, just do a search for an already started ride of that name (using the filters) and join the ride. The countdown will have started but the race will start about 5:10
I've added all the relevant ghosts that I could find. I've got some @keithaitch hunting to do, but quite sure I will fail. This time ;)

Last edited:

Brusgaard

Über Guru
The same 10 ghosts I spoke about about 13 posts ago? :smile:

Rod McG

Über Member
We have friends coming round shortly so I had to do the race early. It looks like there are now 2 or 3 at about my speed so I look forward to doing the race at the right time next week!

Top Bottom