Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithaitch

Veteran
Thanks I'll try it when I get home, the mobile version doesn't let you.
It worked and I've sent you a friend request so I can test it out if that's ok with you. I think this might be how we get in touch with new members of the league to try to get them more involved. I'm going to work on a standard welcome message directing people to this chat and the live sesssions.

keithaitch

Veteran
When you are just too powerful for the bike...

Last edited:
It worked and I've sent you a friend request so I can test it out if that's ok with you. I think this might be how we get in touch with new members of the league to try to get them more involved. I'm going to work on a standard welcome message directing people to this chat and the live sesssions.
I've got an email saying you left a message but didn't see the message.

AndyMacca

@AndyMacca
Changing to Bkool from my speed/cadence sensor made no real difference on my repeat downhill ride. The cadence was lower in Bkool but the power was still 8% higher, and the speed again about 10% lower. It is not easy to work it all out as first you need to know which sensor is being used and then the algorithm that the data is put through before display. Neither is clear so I think I have taken this as far as I can. However, I am not sure that it matters much, it's close enough for me. The key is consistency, and to be vaguely similar to others.

Whenever I do a ride I get a couple of entries in Strava, Bkool posts one and the watch another, now I'm getting a third from the bike:laugh: But it did highlight some weird differences I thought I'd share. The bike had peak power nearly 100w higher than Bkool but also some very low points in the power curve 30w or so (freewheeling I guess) but Bkool didn't have these at all so I guess I have to take back my original comment about power being the same (maybe it is when it's consistent) but it's clear the 'outliers' are being smoothed out and therefore they are meddling. I guess when catering for so many pieces of hardware they have to apply bias here and there to try and level the field. I thought I'd dig into it and extracted the TCX file from Bkool and the .FIT file from Wattbike but it created more mysteries than it solved. Average watts was within 1w, average cadence within 1rpm but here's the kicker I managed to line up the two timelines in a spreadsheet and they do track each other but oddly the ride in Bkool has a timeline 30secs longer, all the numbers just gradually drift away from the .FIT timeline at which point I realised life must have more to offer and decided throw the towel in.:wacko::surrender:

keithaitch

Veteran
oh dear that looks terminal, what happened?

Yep had another crack at that one on the new bike making my times a bit better, going well until a cough started up around 12mins in, still smashed my old ghost though. :boxing:👻
oh dear that looks terminal, what happened?

Yep had another crack at that one on the new bike making my times a bit better, going well until a cough started up around 12mins in, still smashed my old ghost though. :boxing:👻
Apparently the cracking and then fracturing of shimano fc 6800 ultegra cranks is a known problem and they will replace it with a r8000 crank WHEN IT CRACKS! This has caused a few accidents and if you have an ultegra crank set you should check it out and hopefully you clean your bike often enough to notice it before it becomes critical. I've contacted shimano, but they haven't replied yet but I'll be taking it in to my wonderful lbs and asking them to get it replaced. In the meantime I'll be on my second bike for a while so probably no chance of pegging back @AAAC 76C this month and I expect @perswe @BILL S @Mark68 and @Brusgaard to show no mercy and kick me while I'm down.

keithaitch

Veteran
Whenever I do a ride I get a couple of entries in Strava, Bkool posts one and the watch another, now I'm getting a third from the bike:laugh: But it did highlight some weird differences I thought I'd share. The bike had peak power nearly 100w higher than Bkool but also some very low points in the power curve 30w or so (freewheeling I guess) but Bkool didn't have these at all so I guess I have to take back my original comment about power being the same (maybe it is when it's consistent) but it's clear the 'outliers' are being smoothed out and therefore they are meddling. I guess when catering for so many pieces of hardware they have to apply bias here and there to try and level the field. I thought I'd dig into it and extracted the TCX file from Bkool and the .FIT file from Wattbike but it created more mysteries than it solved. Average watts was within 1w, average cadence within 1rpm but here's the kicker I managed to line up the two timelines in a spreadsheet and they do track each other but oddly the ride in Bkool has a timeline 30secs longer, all the numbers just gradually drift away from the .FIT timeline at which point I realised life must have more to offer and decided throw the towel in.:wacko::surrender:
🍻 and 🍕 in response to your last sentence.

shimceltic

Veteran
What fitness watches do people use? My vivoactive hr didn't like the swimming pool and had died.

Tracey CBM

I've got an email saying you left a message but didn't see the message.
The email link from Bkool saying someone's left a message doesn't link to the message. I have put in a support request to Bkool to let them know. I think the messages were on my ride last Thursday but if you are friends with more than a few active bkoolers the messages soon become hidden if they are not within the 3 pages of your wall.
I think it's a good idea to send new people a welcome comment once bkool make it easier to see it.

Tracey CBM

@Randy I've seen Tracey and have approved her request to join the league and rides. How did you write on their Bkool page? That could be the answer in looking for to contact new members of the league to get them more involved.
Thanks for the welcome to the league. I'm interested in the rides you do on Thursday evenings. What's the best way to know which ride you are all doing? Is it Bkool Simulator, live search, cycle chat?

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Thanks for the welcome to the league. I'm interested in the rides you do on Thursday evenings. What's the best way to know which ride you are all doing? Is it Bkool Simulator, live search, cycle chat?

:welcome:

6pm live Tracey. Usually started by @keithaitch however, there is always a small announcement on here as reminder and if there are changes.

Have fun

Brusgaard

Über Guru
I think the messages were on my ride last Thursday but if you are friends with more than a few active bkoolers the messages soon become hidden if they are not within the 3 pages of your wall.
If you want to see more messages, just edit the URL. Set offset to 30 and max to 100 and you'll se a lot more. Next change offset to 130 and so forth... The system is kinda slow, so be patient. :smile:

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
What fitness watches do people use? My vivoactive hr didn't like the swimming pool and had died.
I'm on a Garmin Fenix 3 HR, I think it's 4 years old now. I have used it in the pool, with no issues, for distance. But you need an external HRM, I use the Garmin Swim. Some of the newer watches have swim capable optical HRM built in but are spendy (I have one on order, hopefully before Christmas).

Last edited:

shimceltic

Veteran
I'm on a Garmin Fenix 3 HR, I think it's 4 years old now. I have used it in the pool, with no issues, for distance. But you need an external HRM, I use the Garmin Swim. Some of the newer watches have swim capable optical HRM built in but are spendy (I have one on order, hopefully before Christmas).
Mine is water resistant but obviously failed, garmin said I can post back for another one. The vivoactive 3 looks good value at the moment

Top Bottom