Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shimceltic

Veteran
1st question: why would you want to upgrade?
Because lots of people say wheels are a good way to enhance the ride, speed, uphill etc. I know there are probably better things to do with money and I've always just used the standard ones with the bike. That's also part of the question whether it would be worth it / make a difference.

microkid

I doubt it. Better wheels are fine, but don't imagine you will ride significantly faster. They might give a more stable feeling, that's true. The DT R460 is a nice rim. What might help is converting them to hand-spoked wheels, to make them a lot more stiff. I have the RR585 rims, hand-spoked, stiff as hell and rated up to 130kg.. :smile: Better than any factory wheel.

shimceltic

Veteran
I doubt it. Better wheels are fine, but don't imagine you will ride significantly faster. They might give a more stable feeling, that's true. The DT R460 is a nice rim. What might help is converting them to hand-spoked wheels, to make them a lot more stiff. I have the RR585 rims, hand-spoked, stiff as hell and rated up to 130kg.. :smile: Better than any factory wheel.
Without me sounding thick... Can you explain a bit better what that means 🕵️‍♂️

Mark68

Über Member
I have some zondas and they are a nice pair of wheels. Look nice with a silver ti frame. About 1550 grms. No tyres.
I think I have some conti gp4000 on it.
I also have some Fulcrum racing 5 and they seem to be decent.
I instantly got a faster bike because ... Well I got new wheels so they must be faster😀
To be honest though I think it is the whole package as much as anything. I built up my bike with lightweight stuff and the geometry of the bike certainly makes it feel faster than say my winter/ audaxy style bike.
I would say I felt an improvement when the road started to go up. Then again it could be in my head. Lighter stiffer frame/ bike is what I found most improvement from.

Mark68

Über Member
Ok, to spare @shimceltic nerves, I'll be there tonight y to start the fun and games. I've added @AAAC 76C ghost,and a couple more, couldn't find @perswe ,but no bots as I think they just get in the way and stop us seeing where the real people are. Tighten your helmets and hang on, it's going to be a wild one!
I've already had a wild cycle in that gale force wind today 🌬️🌬️🌬️🌬️ so could do with an easy ride thanks

microkid

Without me sounding thick... Can you explain a bit better what that means 🕵️‍♂️
Wheels are a combination of rim, spoke and hub. You can have a good rim, but if the wheel is spoked badly, you will notice that. E.g. not stable etc. You can take the same rim and hub, do a proper hand-spoked job, and turn the combination into a perfect stiff wheel you will enjoy. Most factory wheels are badly spoked. Hand-spoken wheels are a lot better, with much more tension. My wheels are hand-spoked. life-long warranty. Still perfectly straight after 3 years. (before that, I crushed 3 factory wheels).

Just saw tonight 's race on Bkool... Oh man, that course is made for me! Donut power!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200116-094103.png
    Screenshot_20200116-094103.png
    25 KB · Views: 7

shimceltic

Veteran
Just saw tonight 's race on Bkool... Oh man, that course is made for me! Donut power!!
I was slower and 100w down on my " before new algorithm time" my right thigh is gonna pop and I just couldn't keep the revs up to stay with captain Brusgaard

Brusgaard

Über Guru
False start for me, I will be redoing my captain, if not Saturday then next week. It was last week's climb btw,really nice video, I'll see if I can find the descent of the other side with video for next month, much scarier!

Sorry @keithaitch, but now you've said it more than once, and I have to correct you. We started in Sainte Marie de Campan last week, and we finished in Arreau today. Only rode the same asphalt once, as we didn't turn around at the top but continued down the descent on the other side of CdA. :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom