Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shimceltic

Veteran

keithaitch

Veteran
Sorry @keithaitch, but now you've said it more than once, and I have to correct you. We started in Sainte Marie de Campan last week, and we finished in Arreau today. Only rode the same asphalt once, as we didn't turn around at the top but continued down the descent on the other side of CdA. :smile:
I'm well confused. The video and the map don't match, believe me, I know the roads. The descent into Arreau is very open, much twister and today's descent was definitely down to campan with the first 3/4 kms through the woods. Having false started I decided to at least enjoy the views. I did enjoy seeing the place I stayed at once at km 9.

Brusgaard

Ãœber Guru
I'm well confused. The video and the map don't match, believe me, I know the roads. The descent into Arreau is very open, much twister and today's descent was definitely down to campan with the first 3/4 kms through the woods. Having false started I decided to at least enjoy the views. I did enjoy seeing the place I stayed at once at km 9.

Hmmm, weird. But the 3D matches the GPS-data/map I suppose?

keithaitch

Veteran
I think that you would only see minimal difference, if any, to what you now have. I agree with @microkid that most factory standard wheels are not well built as they are bog standard and we aren't, we are all different and ride differently. Mass produced wheels meet the lowest common denominator. Also the wheels are what most manufacturers can cut corners on price wise and they do. Yes an upgrade is usually beneficial, bringing your wheels up to the standard of the rest of your bike. I'd try to find a local wheel builder, tell him what you want, that is how you ride how much you weigh and he how much you are willing to spend and he should be able to make you a lovely stiff pair that will last you a long, long time. When Drew built my good wheels, https://ridefullgas.com/revolution-...ng-deep-gloss-29mm-wide-58mm-deep-1565g-pair/
He built them specifically for me, for my weight for my aggressive out of the saddle climbing style. My wheels which are made with the same materials as my friend's are a completely different set of wheels. Mine are for me, his are for him.
All this said I still think mavic make the best mass produced wheels. My current work bike is nearly 30 years old and the mavic wheels have never given me any trouble in those 30 years and still run true and free. I have a, pair of kysirium elite s on my second road bike, they perform really well though don't have the pick up my good wheels have nor the ability to roll without losing momentum. They are I think are the best medium range wheels of you don't go for a custom build. Hope this helps,perhaps direct message me if you want to converse more, I'll happily give you the benefit of my experience.

keithaitch

Veteran
Hmmm, weird. But the 3D matches the GPS-data/map I suppose?
I don't know. What I do know is that the drop to Arreau is all down, not an inch of climb like we had tonight. I used to do that side, the Arreau side regularly as a climb on bkool with video,it's one of my favourites though I haven't done it in a while. I can send it to you if you like so you can see how different what we did tonight was.

shimceltic

Veteran
I think that you would only see minimal difference, if any, to what you now have. I agree with @microkid that most factory standard wheels are not well built as they are bog standard and we aren't, we are all different and ride differently. Mass produced wheels meet the lowest common denominator. Also the wheels are what most manufacturers can cut corners on price wise and they do. Yes an upgrade is usually beneficial, bringing your wheels up to the standard of the rest of your bike. I'd try to find a local wheel builder, tell him what you want, that is how you ride how much you weigh and he how much you are willing to spend and he should be able to make you a lovely stiff pair that will last you a long, long time. When Drew built my good wheels, https://ridefullgas.com/revolution-...ng-deep-gloss-29mm-wide-58mm-deep-1565g-pair/
He built them specifically for me, for my weight for my aggressive out of the saddle climbing style. My wheels which are made with the same materials as my friend's are a completely different set of wheels. Mine are for me, his are for him.
All this said I still think mavic make the best mass produced wheels. My current work bike is nearly 30 years old and the mavic wheels have never given me any trouble in those 30 years and still run true and free. I have a, pair of kysirium elite s on my second road bike, they perform really well though don't have the pick up my good wheels have nor the ability to roll without losing momentum. They are I think are the best medium range wheels of you don't go for a custom build. Hope this helps,perhaps direct message me if you want to converse more, I'll happily give you the benefit of my experience.
Thanks for the experienced reply, much appreciated.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Wheels are a combination of rim, spoke and hub. You can have a good rim, but if the wheel is spoked badly, you will notice that. E.g. not stable etc. You can take the same rim and hub, do a proper hand-spoked job, and turn the combination into a perfect stiff wheel you will enjoy. Most factory wheels are badly spoked. Hand-spoken wheels are a lot better, with much more tension. My wheels are hand-spoked. life-long warranty. Still perfectly straight after 3 years. (before that, I crushed 3 factory wheels).
I always speak to my wheels nicely.
I once spoke badly of them and my tyre burst.

AAAC 76C

Large Member
Just looked at the results.
I thought I did quite well on Tuesday.
I did back of a bit in the second half on account of seeing an HR I have not seen since I was in my 40's
I will leave my strap off on Saturday and concentrate on spinning.

perswe

Ãœber Member
I have those. Bought them in June. They are good enough for me. If they last long, I guess we’ll see. I had Zipp wheels that lasted only 20000 kms or even less so I hope these will last longer. I didn’t do any research on them just accepted what was available there and then when I hade to scrap the zipps. Btw those zipps did cost med 600 euros so I’m a bit disappointed...but they were fast. Won’t go back to zipps again.

perswe

Ãœber Member
I have those. Bought them in June. They are good enough for me. If they last long, I guess we’ll see. I had Zipp wheels that lasted only 20000 kms or even less so I hope these will last longer. I didn’t do any research on them just accepted what was available there and then when I hade to scrap the zipps. Btw those zipps did cost med 600 euros so I’m a bit disappointed...but they were fast. Won’t go back to zipps again.
By good enough I mean that they are stiff enough (I’m 85kg and treat them unkindly at times) and do the job I want them to.

microkid

I think it all depends on what kind or rider you are. If you weigh more than normal, or have a fast or aggressive style, I would opt for hand-spoked wheels. I only count 16 and 22 spokes. Don't know if that is enough for 85kg? Sounds a little sparse. More spokes will make the wheel more durable and stronger. And don't focus on those aero spokes, those will only help if you are a pro rider doing 40+.
FYI, my handspoked wheels have done almost 14.000km now and are still straight.
1579279988252.png

shimceltic

Veteran
They seem good value but I'm not sure if they are any better than what I have and its hard trying to find any comparisons

Top Bottom