Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithaitch

Veteran
They seem good value but I'm not sure if they are any better than what I have and its hard trying to find any comparisons
Remember your local wheel builder doesn't have the 50% mark up of the retail shop or 30% of the online store, nor the marketing, promotional or admin costs of a large manufacturer. He lives from his reputation and word of mouth marketing. That's why my good wheels cost 1200 and are the equivalent of the 2500 enve or zipps. We did a trial with a pair of top end enve that one of the club members had and we generally felt that the spinonthese we better at half the price due to lack of overheads. Try to find a local wheel builder, talk to him, he'll love to chat and shoot the shoot with you, you're a loveable guy, we all think you're great. Take your current wheels, he can probably use the hubs and or the rims but will build you a great set of custom hoops. Remember you will just be paying for materials and his time and it will be well worth it.

keithaitch

Veteran
@perswe : see https://road.cc/content/review/192701-vision-team-35-wheelset
Those wheels are classified as entry level. I doubt if that matches your level :smile:

Maybe something like this? https://www.stradawheels.co.uk/product/big-fella-deluxe/
Oh @perswe is definitely entry level! Joke!

They seem good value but I'm not sure if they are any better than what I have and its hard trying to find any comparisons
I googled your existing ones and they seemed to be really good. I second @microkid on hand built. The best wheels I've had were hand built replacement s for the stock factory wheels that had spokes pull through the rim. My new bike came with fulcrum 600 disc. They are still true but only have about 1500 miles.

Edit: I wrote this before I Saw Keith’s post. He said it perfectly

Last edited:

shimceltic

Veteran
After last night's thigh popping issue I bought a deep muscle massaging thing of amazon! ( delirious from beer and high heart rate)
Had a quick prod with it and it felt good! What's everyone's post ride routine?

Edit... Its called a percussion Massager

Last edited:

Mark68

Über Member
After last night's thigh popping issue I bought a deep muscle massaging thing of amazon! ( delirious from beer and high heart rate)
Had a quick prod with it and it felt good! What's everyone's post ride routine?

Edit... Its called a percussion Massager
Sitting on the sofa staring blankly at Strava and phone thinking or not being able to think more like.

perswe

Über Member
I think it all depends on what kind or rider you are. If you weigh more than normal, or have a fast or aggressive style, I would opt for hand-spoked wheels. I only count 16 and 22 spokes. Don't know if that is enough for 85kg? Sounds a little sparse. More spokes will make the wheel more durable and stronger. And don't focus on those aero spokes, those will only help if you are a pro rider doing 40+.
FYI, my handspoked wheels have done almost 14.000km now and are still straight.
View attachment 500855
I should add that the more expensive wheelset (the zipps) had hub bearing problems - which according to my LBD was not uncommon for zipp. Anyway, I certainly get the argument for handbuilt, though I’m currently not look for new wheels. But I’ll remember to go down that route when it is time for that. Next purchase is a gravel bike for gravel and high speed touring. And new buckles for my old shoes....as they broke on stage 2...

I stopped football as I was pulling muscles and cycling seemed far better. The feeling in my thigh was a warning I've felt loads of times at football!
Getting off the bike in front of the hotel in Arrochar I caught my foot on the seat and in the process of catching my self tore my left hamstring. It was so bad I couldn’t walk. Within 2 days the whole back of my leg was purple. The worst part was I didn’t get to ride with Jim Brown. After a tough ride on the BKOOL I make sure I spin a little for at least 5 minutes.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
Getting off the bike in front of the hotel in Arrochar I caught my foot on the seat and in the process of catching my self tore my left hamstring. It was so bad I couldn’t walk. Within 2 days the whole back of my leg was purple. The worst part was I didn’t get to ride with Jim Brown. After a tough ride on the BKOOL I make sure I spin a little for at least 5 minutes.

It was a sad day in CycleChat meetup history.. having said that, you didn't miss much as it was blowing a hooly and I was knackered when I got hame.

There are worst places in the world to be holed up, although, there are better hotels too.. ;)

Top Bottom