Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shimceltic

Veteran
Belgians are GSD's smarter cousins ^_^

The land equivalent of a Great White Shark when trained right :ohmy::laugh:
That's me stumped at the training right!

Mark68

Über Member
Gravel bikes will do 90% of what a Road bike will do on the road, assuming similar drive train setups, 2x11 or 2x12. But are capable of 125% or more of what a road bike will do on gravel. I have both.

They are horses for courses but it is mainly tyre width that separates them on the off road. 30mm and up for best gravel performance iirc from the ride reports and write ups I've read.
Thanks. I do have an old Ridley cycle Ross bike with cantilever brakes 😱 that are pretty poor especially when it's wet.
Don't think 105 dropbar levers are very good with cantilever brakes.
What gravel bike do you have?

I
Thanks. I do have an old Ridley cycle Ross bike with cantilever brakes 😱 that are pretty poor especially when it's wet.
Don't think 105 dropbar levers are very good with cantilever brakes.
What gravel bike do you have?
googled your Cross bike. It’s nice. What about a retrofit with a new 1x12 drive train and these Hydronic cantilever Brakes.
Or follow @shimceltic and buy the nicest bike you can find with the latest Force group set.
No reason for him to be the only one to make me throw rocks at my bike in a fit of jealousy.

Attachments

• 254A335D-6C40-4246-8A4E-5BBADC083D0A.png
    254A335D-6C40-4246-8A4E-5BBADC083D0A.png
    44.7 KB · Views: 4

Mark68

Über Member
Cervelo Caledonia looks a good gravel all round machine
Cervelo. Sounds expensive. I'll Google it I do have a nice Cervelo TT bike I built up years ago, but will try and sell it. Nice frame and did build up into a fast bike. Looks really nice especially with the 1990s capag Zondas.

Just thought, what would we do without Google it? 😕

Ooo nice just googled it. I may get 2 then if anyone wants to borrow one I've got one spare Thought about the Caledonia 5 Dura Ace Di2 a snip at £9700

Last edited:

Mark68

Über Member
Cervelo Caledonia looks a good gravel all round machine
Cervelo. Sounds expensive. I do have a nice Cervelo TT bike I built up years ago, but will try and sell it. Nice frame and did build up into a fast bike. Looks really nice especially with the 1990s capag Zondas.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I

googled your Cross bike. It’s nice. What about a retrofit with a new 1x12 drive train and these Hydronic cantilever Brakes.
Or follow @shimceltic and buy the nicest bike you can find with the latest Force group set.
No reason for him to be the only one to make me throw rocks at my bike in a fit of jealousy.
Those Magura brakes are bloody fantastic, Fitted a pair to the new tandem, super stopping power, and modulation ... Wouldn't call them cantilever brakes though, that's doing them a major disservice!

Mark68

Über Member
Those Magura brakes are bloody fantastic, Fitted a pair to the new tandem, super stopping power, and modulation ... Wouldn't call them cantilever brakes though, that's doing them a major disservice!
Yes I did think about those . They have been around ages and did have a solid reputation didn't they. Only thing I seem to remember is they are close to the rim so if there's a slight buckle it will rub. Also mud is a collection point on the bridge.

Will have a look though

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Yes I did think about those . They have been around ages and did have a solid reputation didn't they. Only thing I seem to remember is they are close to the rim so if there's a slight buckle it will rub. Also mud is a collection point on the bridge.

Will have a look though
Can adjust them to be further away from the rim, quite easily. The only thing to be aware of is that they require a cantilever post gap of 80mm ... Which may well mean they won't fit on old fashioned steel forks ... Ask me how I know 🤬🤬🤬🤬

Top Bottom