Team BKool CycleChat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shimceltic

Veteran
Well done @shimceltic . Strong sprint in the final. @Brusgaard - didn't see you. Were you even there ;-)
Not sure how you never pulled away, your w/kg constantly above mine.

Not sure what my combo is..... Its an old bike with sora gears
I agree your new bike is way too nice to put on the trainer. After I upgraded my Amazon refurbished Mac Mini to big sur OS I have way better video.

shimceltic

Veteran
I agree your new bike is way too nice to put on the trainer. After I upgraded my Amazon refurbished Mac Mini to big sur OS I have way better video.
I'm gonna upgrade the smart pro 2 hopefully soon but not sure what's accurate and don't want to spend £$€¥¢$$$$£££££

I'm gonna upgrade the smart pro 2 hopefully soon but not sure what's accurate and don't want to spend £$€¥¢$$$$£££££
I spent way too much for the Neo 2t because everything else was on back order last year. But now I'm extremely happy I got it. I really Can't justify that level of a trainer with my level of fitness but it does give real feedbsck up to 30 degrees.
But you really are at the level to get the most out of it.

Brusgaard

Über Guru
I spent way too much for the Neo 2t because everything else was on back order last year. But now I'm extremely happy I got it. I really Can't justify that level of a trainer with my level of fitness but it does give real feedbsck up to 30 degrees.
But you really are at the level to get the most out of it.

If you want the best, you go with either NEO2T or KICKR v5. If you want to save money, and/or don't need/want to feel the real steep gradients and most accurate watts, you go with KICKR Core, Saris H3 or one of the Elite Diretos. Cheaper than that, it is either Flux 2 or Elite Suito.

That's my picks from the 3-4 major brands. No doubt you can find good products from other less known brands too, but I wouldn't risk it...

shimceltic

Veteran
I can get a neo 2t for £959/€1133
Does it have the downhill battery thing?
If I'm going down hill and approach a climb at speed does it punish you straight with the hill or take into account your speed?

Brusgaard

Über Guru
I can get a neo 2t for £959/€1133
Does it have the downhill battery thing?
If I'm going down hill and approach a climb at speed does it punish you straight with the hill or take into account your speed?
Battery thing? If connected to mains it will activate downhill simulation, that keep the virtual flywheel spinning even when you stop pedaling. If not, it will stop the second you stop pedaling, unlike a real wheel (and a true flywheel) which keeps turning for some time. However, I often turn it off when doing the long downhill races on BKOOL, as I feel as if I can’t get enough resistance. I just turn off the mains using a remote, and the NEO works fine without it. AFAIK all other trainers requires mains power to work.

The trainer does what it is told to by the simulator, so if you go from 0% to 10% it should change immediately. So the simulator should use some algorithm to smooth out the transition and send gradual rising percentages within a second or two. The NEO and other direct drive trainers are much quicker to respond to changes, so it will feel more like IRL. The BKOOL trainers are slow, so maybe that is why you feel abrupt changes. 1-10% on the NEO is like 1%-2%-3%-4%-5%-6%-7%-8%-9%-10% within 2-3 seconds, where on the Bkool it is more like 1%-5-%-10% if not straight 1-10%, at least on my older Pro. :smile: Back in the day you could be hammering at 60 kph into a brick wall when going from 0% to 10%, this was what we referred to as a “dead stop”.

shimceltic

Veteran
Battery thing? If connected to mains it will activate downhill simulation, that keep the virtual flywheel spinning even when you stop pedaling. If not, it will stop the second you stop pedaling, unlike a real wheel (and a true flywheel) which keeps turning for some time. However, I often turn it off when doing the long downhill races on BKOOL, as I feel as if I can’t get enough resistance. I just turn off the mains using a remote, and the NEO works fine without it. AFAIK all other trainers requires mains power to work.

The trainer does what it is told to by the simulator, so if you go from 0% to 10% it should change immediately. So the simulator should use some algorithm to smooth out the transition and send gradual rising percentages within a second or two. The NEO and other direct drive trainers are much quicker to respond to changes, so it will feel more like IRL. The BKOOL trainers are slow, so maybe that is why you feel abrupt changes. 1-10% on the NEO is like 1%-2%-3%-4%-5%-6%-7%-8%-9%-10% within 2-3 seconds, where on the Bkool it is more like 1%-5-%-10% if not straight 1-10%, at least on my older Pro. :smile: Back in the day you could be hammering at 60 kph into a brick wall when going from 0% to 10%, this was what we referred to as a “dead stop”.
Yeah the battery thing I meant mains powered! How does it work without power then and send data to smart trainer?

Top Bottom