team jerseys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Those Belkins were on sale for peanuts. Great pricing. The shorts are very thin mind you.

Don't have them, but seen a mate wear them.

I really think there are not many ethical issues here. I can see why the Velominati rules say you should not wear a shirt (like a champion's shirt) unless you have won it, but on the other hand, these are often sponsored. At the Giro last year there was a whole lot of local cyclists wearing the blue sprint jersey acting as ambassadors and being sponsored by the Mediolanum Bank to do so. (And that is a really nice shirt, so I bought one.) So it is not as simple as that.

The whole financial structure of cycle racing -at pro level at least - is about advertising. You could argue that by buying and wearing a sponsored shirt you are helping to advertise a product and rewarding the sponsors who make pro-cycling possible. I am OK with that. On the other hand, I have a personal taste problem with gambling. I hate the idea of money for nothing, and feel the whole gambling business does more harm in society than good. My personal moral choice would reject a shirt that advertised gambling. Doubtless there are people with similar moral objections to (say) booze adverts on shirts.

Cycling is colourful and has a rich diversity in the sponsors it attracts. It unites nations and is environmentally friendly. Wear a shirt you like and wear a variety of shirts. Wear them out of respect for what they mean. Wear them because they are cycling shirts. That is the biggest thing they stand for. Cycling.

LimeBurn

Über Member
Great stuff - life lessons should be learnt early. My kids complain as I've never let them win anything....ever!
I've got a polka dot hat somewhere that I won in the Tour de France. That's right, I won it fair and square. That 5 year old didn't know what hit him in the scramble for tat from the caravan. I therefore have every right to wear it.

NorvernRob

Wearing team kit is like turning up at 5-a-side in a replica football shirt. Quite normal.

Wearing the yellow jersey or the world champtionship bands, is like turning up at 5-a-side with a little model of the FA Cup.

Turning up with a National champions trophy replica would be like turning up with an FA cup one.

A NC or WC Jersey would be more akin to turning up in a national football shirt that has stars on for each World Cup won. Any nobody blinks an eye at that, nor in any other sport that I know of apart from cycling.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Turning up with a National champions trophy replica would be like turning up with an FA cup one.

A NC or WC Jersey would be more akin to turning up in a national football shirt that has stars on for each World Cup won. Any nobody blinks an eye at that, nor in any other sport that I know of apart from cycling.

It's slightly different because cycling is largely an individual sport - the team helps, but the individual gets the glory. Lots of supporters in football talk about "we" and "us" when they refer to their team (which I think is the height of absurdity), so for them to wear their team's shirts makes a lot of sense (to them). In individual sports it does seem slightly different - nor have I heard of a cycling team supporter talking about "us doing well". But they make the replica team and individual cycling shirts, so they must want people to wear them. So if you like it, buy it and wear it. My friend wears an Aussie champ shirt sometimes, and he is neither Australian, nor a champion. It looks good. He wears it. In what possible way can it make a difference to anyone?

Exactly! What harm is being done?
I wear a Cima Coppi jersey (apologies to Flick of the Elbow for my political incorrectness in an earlier post) as Coppi was my father's great hero and I wear it in memory and respect for both.
I wear an Italia jersey because I love the country and go there as often as I can.
I wear a Brewood Cycle Challenge jersey because I have done the ride and support the charity it publicizes.
I wear a Belkin jersey because it has Bianchi on it and I ride a Bianchi sometimes. (And I got it ridiculously cheap!)
I wear a plain Karrimor jersey because it fits me well, was cheap and the others are in the wash.

Why on earth am I doing this? I am sitting typing this in a Kitzbuhel sweatshirt because it is chilly in our damp old house and I can't ride for 4 weeks. I have skied the place but don't own it. Do I have to justify my ASDA Y-fronts? No. Good.

Top Bottom