Tech advancements in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm waiting for someone to say "Hi Vis clothing".

Hi Vis clothing. ;)

presta

Guru
Wheels, brakes, chains, both rigid and tensioned wire spokes, and pneumatic tyres were all in use before the bicycle arrived, so they weren't really advances in bike design, which seems to whittle it down to the safety bike.

As for changes in my lifetime, I think indexed gears is the only development I value.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It also depends on your perspective. There have been tons of technical advances in racing bikes that have made a really significant difference - in the areas of aerodynamics and frame material plus others.

But if you are not into sport cycling that's not a big deal.

The bike I rode in the 70s isn't much different to the one I ride now, the differences most important to me being:
Comfortable saddle
Techy gizmos (GPS, decent lights)
I think the brakes are better.

The other differences are not really so important.
Wider range of gears. It is important, but I could probably have fitted a triple get me a low bottom gear back then, if I had had the money and know-how - which I didn't.
Indexed gears. Meh.
More gears. Meh.
Modern headset. Meh.
Sealed bearings

Looking further back, for really important advances of the past I'm going to go for sealed road surfaces.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Wheels, brakes, chains, both rigid and tensioned wire spokes, and pneumatic tyres were all in use before the bicycle arrived, so they weren't really advances in bike design, which seems to whittle it down to the safety bike.

As for changes in my lifetime, I think indexed gears is the only development I value.

The first practical use of pneumatic tyres was on bicycles, same with wire-spoked wheels. The roller-chain was coeval with the first bicycles.

Top Bottom