Tech advancements in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Standards and commoditisation (although recently that seems to be changing).

I think this needs to happen to ebikes.

Rear derailleurs.

Last edited:
Gravel bottom-brackets.

Dadam

Ive got two good lungs and a pair of legs. Maybe when I'm 90 and have 1 leg.

Up to you of course but it's not an either/or. You can potentially ride further, or ride when you'd otherwise not be able to due to recovery from injury or illness. You can scale the assistance to suit or turn it off altogether.

I bought an ebike because I live on top of a hill. Not one that would give too much trouble to fit cyclists, but although I can get up this hill on a manual bike after day's work I'd often be good for nothing much else for a while afterwards and it put my heart rate too high. I was planning rides to make sure I could get back home which meant they were quite short and I also avoided whole areas near me which severely restricted where I felt motivated to ride. Now I'm able to go for much longer rides and with the e-bike taking the sting out of steep hills I've got much more freedom in where I want to go.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Up to you of course but it's not an either/or. You can potentially ride further, or ride when you'd otherwise not be able to due to recovery from injury or illness. You can scale the assistance to suit or turn it off altogether.

I bought an ebike because I live on top of a hill. Not one that would give too much trouble to fit cyclists, but although I can get up this hill on a manual bike after day's work I'd often be good for nothing much else for a while afterwards and it put my heart rate too high. I was planning rides to make sure I could get back home which meant they were quite short and I also avoided whole areas near me which severely restricted where I felt motivated to ride. Now I'm able to go for much longer rides and with the e-bike taking the sting out of steep hills I've got much more freedom in where I want to go.

They are great for those either not terribly fit or have some physical limitations. More folk out and all that.

Personally they aren't for me. Life long cyclist and have fought hard to stay relatively fit. Many broken bones and injuries via cycling, but still prefer a normal bike.

Top Bottom