Tech advancements in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Q. What's the fastest thing on a Southern Californian freeway ?
A. The Breeze.

It looks a horrendous place to get around in.

It can be at rush hour, but you could say the same of any big city. It's really not that bad, and despite the automobile's dominance actually has a pretty decent public transport system.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back on topic, has anyone mentioned dropper posts ? Blooming great for proper MTB'ing especially those of us less talented/roadie types.

Two of the beasties in our stable.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No one seems have mentioned the quick link, suddenly joining a chain was not a fraught experience.

Very good shout. I remember when I was a teenager I got an early quick link (it was screwed together, unlike modern ones that snap together) and it was such a boon. Prior to that you needed finesse, experience and skill to join a chain. I had none of those things.

After today's ride if no one has already it for me it's the electric bicycle.

I forgot to take my bank card or any money today, about 10 miles from home after doing 20ish already I was knackered and hungry, had no way to buy anything and water was nearly gone. On a none electric bike I've no doubt I wouldn't have made it home.

E-bikes are crutches for the weak. If you truly cannot ride a bicycle then by all means buy one. But here in California I'm constantly pestered by 12 year olds riding 200lb "e-bikes" at 30mph down the bike path. We had to lobby hard to get our safe zones and they're being turned into freeways by bloody e-bikes. There's a whole generation who think they're getting exercise by twisting their wrists and zooming along.

Mehhh.

I met a bunch of OAPs out in the countryside - all on ebikes. They were saying how it lets them do more miles than they used to - so they have a much wider range of places to go. Keeps up the interest. AFAIK studies show that people with ebikes use the bikes more than they otherwise would. I've not got one myself yet - but I reserve the right to get one at some time in the future. (the proper legal pedal ones. Not the twisty cheaty ones)

Mehhh.

I met a bunch of OAPs out in the countryside - all on ebikes. They were saying how it lets them do more miles than they used to - so they have a much wider range of places to go. Keeps up the interest. AFAIK studies show that people with ebikes use the bikes more than they otherwise would. I've not got one myself yet - but I reserve the right to get one at some time in the future. (the proper legal pedal ones. Not the twisty cheaty ones)

I know of some other OAPs that say the same thing, without the assist they wouldn't be riding anymore.

Mike_P

Guru
E-bikes are crutches for the weak. If you truly cannot ride a bicycle then by all means buy one. But here in California I'm constantly pestered by 12 year olds riding 200lb "e-bikes" at 30mph down the bike path. We had to lobby hard to get our safe zones and they're being turned into freeways by bloody e-bikes. There's a whole generation who think they're getting exercise by twisting their wrists and zooming along.

My ebike is a car substitute, it's opened up the ability not to use the car for shopping in a hilly location where the ebike mitigates a heavy rucksack and at times a heavy pannier or two.

My ebike is a car substitute, it's opened up the ability not to use the car for shopping in a hilly location where the ebike mitigates a heavy rucksack and at times a heavy pannier or two.

I've just bought a pair of larger panniers for this very purpose, though the rear rack is only rated to 25kg so I best be careful what I buy!

DogmaStu

I disagree in terms of e-bikes per se. I concur that the version's able to do 30mph, especially unassisted, are electric scooters and should be treated as such but in Europe, unmodified e-bikes with 15.5mph limits are great and absolutely do give a good workout.

I speak as someone with extensive road and MTB racing experience. To qualify, I won all my MTB races last year, I have nearly 400 Strava KOM's all acquired as a chap in his 50's and did pretty well in my younger days too...so not exactly 'weak' ^_^

I used an eMTB in 2019 for a few months to recover slowly from a knee injury and thoroughly enjoyed it. With variable assist, I could get a workout equal to my usual training regime on my unassisted MTB. This is a fact.

I know several people who wouldn't be riding but now spend upwards of 12 hrs a week on ebikes and are noticeably healthier for it.

Top Bottom