Tell me about your day......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The day started well for me with a good long lay in. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It isn't a long lie in until the only time you get up all day is to go to the toilet! :giggle:

Dark46

Veteran
As I was booked into the bike shop at 14:30 and sods law is had to work in Southampton! Due to sickness of another driver. To cut a long story short I got to the store at 16:30 in the end.

It wasn't until 18:00 that I finally got to go on the new bike

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'm just back from having a long lunch with three ex-colleagues. I retired three years ago, one retired last summer another retires next January and the fourth has another 15 years to go.....poor devil. Universities sound like pretty horrible places to work these days :sad:

Schools are no different. I can't imagine many of my much younger colleagues having teaching as their final career especially since their retirement age for a teacher's pension that is not actuarily reduced, is now sixty seven. It was a wonderful sleight of hand to increase the final salary pension to: years of service divided by sixty from: years of service divided by eighty. The absence of a lump sum and a raised retirement age was overlooked in their excitement.

In one staffroom in my school, someone has a countdown to retirement. It's currently at something like 7,500 days.

I'm working in the shadow of retirement. I can walk now and can afford to take a 15% hit on my pension and lump sum but my current employment in my school which has 50% more contact time than a normal classroom teacher albeit with far fewer pupils, is far more rewarding as it is; meetings free, parents' evenings free, performance management free, administration free and hassle free.

University lecturing is something that used to be financially more rewarding and less stressful than teaching the differential has been totally eroded to the point that even twenty years ago when the School of Education at Sheffield Hallam University was encouraging me to join them, they'd have had to appoint me as a senior lecturer and even then the pay package was less than my current earnings at the time.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I am tired after a late-ish night, woken up by a drunken daughter and friends returning home at 04:30 being drunkenly 'quiet' for half an hour, and one of their phone alarm clocks going off at 07:00 for half an hour and which she slept through - I didn't :angry:

I am saving the pan clattering breakfast preparations for their hungover emergence from their pits.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I am tired after a late-ish night, woken up by a drunken daughter and friends returning home at 04:30 being drunkenly 'quiet' for half an hour, and one of their phone alarm clocks going off at 07:00 for half an hour and which she slept through - I didn't :angry:

I am saving the pan clattering breakfast preparations for their hungover emergence from their pits.
You could always do a spot of hoovering, always worked for me. :giggle:

Dark46

Veteran
Which bike did you get? How was it? X
I got Orro Oxygen and got it list price.
Couldn't be happier after first ride

gbb

Legendary Member
I'll find out tomorrow if todays technical fix (bodge) holds out.
For the mechanics among us...
Slipping /stalling drive on a machine, chain driven via a clutch, the clutch just doesn't hold...so, can I adjust it ?..yes I can but only a smidgeon. Its not a friction plate type, its sprung loaded balls and detent plate. The bell housing is adjusted right in but the pressure on the balls isnt enough to stop it slipping...so..what can I do to keep production going ?...insert a washer between balls and springs. Result is, instant drive, no slip. A tad dodgy, it could eat itself, but I love a tester of a problem.

Home, dinner, out and upgraded my phone to a Galaxy S5 with a new 4G contractand a bit of shopping.
Over to mums, spend a bit of time with her.
Home, tea, shall I start hanging some more doors ?....no said the wife, lets give it a rest...no problem said I.

Managed to get out with the clubrun for the first time this year this morning, 60 potholed and mud splattered miles around West Lothian.
After lunch cleaned a couple of bikes,watched a bit of rugby, caught up with the big race in Belgium, had tea.
Now opening a bottle of NZ Pinot Noir...

Oldbloke

Guru
Put the mutts in the car and drove to nice river walk 12 kms away. Stopped at bakers, car wouldn't start.

Managed to get it rolling downhill for a bump start, drove back home in case it failed to start again.

Dogs not happy with shortened walk. Then spent most of pm chasing my ar5e looking for a new battery, failing miserably.

No chance of finding one tomorrow, this being France, which hibernates Sundays.

Ah well, it was peeing down all day so wouldn't have ridden anyway.

Top Bottom