Texting on a horse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

I guess I could start by discussing the merits of Texting whilst Horseriding, or Whether a Q7 deserves the moniker of '4x4' :whistle:

brokenflipflop

Veteran
I guess I could start by discussing the merits of Texting whilst Horseriding, or Whether a Q7 deserves the moniker of '4x4' :whistle:
The resident sanctimonious Guardian readership on here have used it over 50 times already, I think it helps them bond with each other. Join them by entering it the required number of times, get your Avatar and in the process, join their elitist little club where people are free to say or do or buy what they like, unless they don't like it and then they turn into the bigots they profess to dislike.

Now I've got that off my chest....cup of tea I think. I'd say coffee but the Guardian readers would tut tut if I couldn't make a perfect flat white flappacino espresso macalatte....:crazy:

Linford

The resident sanctimonious Guardian readership on here have used it over 50 times already, I think it helps them bond with each other. Join them by entering it the required number of times, get your Avatar and in the process, join their elitist little club where people are free to say or do or buy what they like, unless they don't like it and then they turn into the bigots they profess to dislike.

Now I've got that off my chest....cup of tea I think. I'd say coffee but the Guardian readers would tut tut if I couldn't make a perfect flat white flappacino espresso macalatte....:crazy:

I'd like to hope that is a fairtrade one as well - taken black of course without sugar for ethical reasons ?

Linford

Now about this texting whilst horse riding, and riding them two abreast on the roads. Texting is a judgment call and would depend on what is around them at the time, the temperament of the animal, the experience of the rider.
Many of these youngsters on horseback will have been riding from the age of 4 or less and so bt the age of 15 could have had 11 years of regular experience in the saddle. The horses as well may likely be very calm animals which are very experienced on the road, and not easily spooked - remember, the reins are used to direct a horse, not steer it, and keeping close contact with the bit by tugging on the reins all the time will just wind the animal up. You can't realistically compare horse riding with driving or riding a vehicle.
Regarding riding two abreast, it is also normally done for practical reasons. One of the horses or riders may not be very experienced, and so having a more experienced animal shielding it from the passing traffic will help to keep it calm. It also helps on narrow roads to encourage passing cars to wait until it is safe to attempt an overtake - Highway code makes some mention of it.

Obviously it is unrealistic to say this is always going to be the case, but if I saw this on the road, I would be more concerned with the behaviour of those around the horses and riders than the riders themselves as people can at times be very impatient when they come across slow moving road users.

Linford

It is black and white though. That makes all the difference...

I'll have to give this one some thought before I change it. One can't rush an important decision like this. We have standards to maintain...

Linford

Making jokes about someones sexuality isn't very funny BrokenFlipFlop

You still haven't given your considered response to the texting horse riders. Any chance of giving it a go ?

We'll get onto the subject of the Q7 later..

brokenflipflop

Veteran
Making jokes about someones sexuality isn't very funny BrokenFlipFlop

You still haven't given your considered response to the texting horse riders. Any chance of giving it a go ?

We'll get onto the subject of the Q7 later..
I never mention anyones sexuality...I just talk friends and boys

I never give a considered response but I think I've already given a response regarding horse riders which is they shouldn't be on the roads IMO.

Linford

The problem is that because they have been around such a long time, and were the primary form of road transport long before cars were invented, that their access to the roads is a historic right. The same can be said of driving sheep, or cattle on country roads from pasture to pasture, or to the milking parlour.
If you were to demand that no hoofed animal were to be given access to the roads, and that they are all transported only vehicle, the cost of that drop of milk in your earl grey would go through the roof.
Besides that, Horses are only allowed on the roads when being led by a handler or by being ridden.

Where will it end - sealing up the cat flaps and banning dog walking for fear you might come across one on your travels ?

I need some help with this Avatar anyway BrokenFlipFlop, People might start to talk................

brokenflipflop

Veteran
and get pooh on my bonnet/in my tyres or worse, a Christopher Reeve incident. I'm thinking that as far as the horse is concerned, it wouldn't matter if it was ridden in a field or a bridleway so I can only assume they take them on the roads because the riders get a buzz from the attention/audience they get from the motoring and general public "look at me on my horse etc etc"

Top Bottom