Texting on a horse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Horses do as they are directed, but would always prefer to graze and not be worked. The riders generally ride where they feel safe and will use roads to join up the gaps in the network.
You can only ride around a field so many times before you get bored of doing it, and variety is the spice of life. If you were to average 5 miles on the average hack, you would be very lucky to do all of them entirely on bridlepaths.
We try and box ours to the area's with good paths but you still need to park up somewhere safe which is connected to the road network. Horses are not legally allowed on the pavements in any case.
Anyway, they do have a right to be there so you as a driver need to give due consideration - it is part of the conditions of your license ;)

1706650 said:
We have already dealt with the "look at me in my WP issue"
Adrian. You're so very tetchy tonight. I'm beginning to worry about you.

Linford

So now we have cleared up that misunderstanding about why people who feel horses on the road are 'wrong', We need to sort out this '4x4' thing, and why someone might feel the need to want to run such a large vehicle on the road.

I've got my reasons for hanging onto mine - you know, getting in and out of fields where a normal car wouldn't go, and dragging a heavy trailer to move the horses around to stop people moaning about them being hacked for any considerable distance on the highway, but it is a big old girl with an insatiable thirst.

I do like the look of the Q7, but it does beg the question - If you never actually use it in an off road situation, or require the mass of it to stay within the towing laws when dragging something heavy behind it, Why would you want one ? The VED and devaluation must be crippling !

theclaud

Openly Marxist
To be fair to BrokenFlipFlop

Let's not get carried away...

OP
OP
B

Bicycle

Real 4x4 = A Landy.

Quite right!

Nothing quite matches it! A good old traditional British 4x4 is great on the loose stuff, but a Landy on similar tyres will match it.

Add to the equation the build quality, comfort, sound-insulation, electric diff locks, parts supply, power and fuel economy of the Japanese master and it's really no contest.

When you said 'Landy' you were referring to the Toyota Land-Cruiser weren't you? :ohmy:

The G-Wagen is jolly good too, but its mention on these pages will elicit unhelpful onanistic references. :sad:

lukesdad

Quite right!

Nothing quite matches it! A good old traditional British 4x4 is great on the loose stuff, but a Landy on similar tyres will match it.

Add to the equation the build quality, comfort, sound-insulation, electric diff locks, parts supply, power and fuel economy of the Japanese master and it's really no contest.

When you said 'Landy' you were referring to the Toyota Land-Cruiser weren't you? :ohmy:

The G-Wagen is jolly good too, but its mention on these pages will elicit unhelpful onanistic references. :sad:

My '90' is 20 odd years old, in the last 10 years its never been on the road. It works 365 days a year, Harrow s my fields, pulls my logging trailers, winches timber up from a valley after cutting etc. etc. Never misses a beat. Id love to see the state your piece of ' japcrap ' would be in after such a life. Not to mention the running costs that would have been incurred.

Like I said there is only one 4x4 :thumbsup:

VamP

Banned
You're both right! Stop fighting.

I travel all over Africa for work, and the two vehicles that are used day in day out, for off-road use in the most difficult conditions, decades old and with many hundreds of thoudsands miles on the clock are the Landy and the Landy ;) Serengeti safari companies do not use any other vehicles than these two. Both eminently repairable, and the running costs comparable.

Top Bottom