Thames Crossing Kent to Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
Highways England are consulting over so called 'Option C' a crossing from Kent into Essex.
My view which is disputed by the Highway Engineers involved is that the needs of cyclists and pedestrians have not been considered. There is a fighting chance that if you express a view they may add some facilities for cyclists. So there is a chance if raise your concerns

http://www.lower-thames-crossing.co.uk

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I agree it's iniquitously motorist. Responded.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
I went to the consultation and bent the ears of two highway engineers. I said they had failed to think of the future and were only thinking about cars. Who knows what the world will be like in 20 years with driverless cars everywhere, people on mobility scooters and probably a lot more people cycling

The usual solution is to build a cycle lane alongside the main carriageway, adding width and cost. How about building one hanging below the roadway. If you put it on the western side, it should be upwind on most days. It would need a completely separate slip-road fed by local minor roads.
Are there any examples of cycle bridges below road ones?

The usual solution is to build a cycle lane alongside the main carriageway, adding width and cost. How about building one hanging below the roadway. If you put it on the western side, it should be upwind on most days. It would need a completely separate slip-road fed by local minor roads.
Are there any examples of cycle bridges below road ones?

Their preferred option would seem to be a twin bored tunnel - on a project of this magnitude a multipurpose service/cycle/emergency tunnel might be a option

LetMeEatCake

If they're tunneling, then no wheel reinvention is needed - they sorted this out in Glasgow in the 60s. I give you Glasgow's Clyde Tunnel (image stolen from urbanglasgow.co.uk). The cycle path runs beneath the main carriageway. Always good fun on the way down (wheee...), always a slog back to the top. :training::sweat:

clyde_tunnel_Xsection.jpg

LetMeEatCake

Would many people want to ride through a tunnel more than 3k long?
No idea! I was always led to believe your down there England place was all crammed full to burstin' of cyclists. Anyway - if they set up massive fans to blast air through the cycle tunnels to give you a powerful tailwind, I'd pay up to £0.60p to have a go :smile: And that would really help with the £6bn budget...

PK99

Legendary Member
If they're tunneling, then no wheel reinvention is needed - they sorted this out in Glasgow in the 60s. I give you Glasgow's Clyde Tunnel (image stolen from urbanglasgow.co.uk). The cycle path runs beneath the main carriageway. Always good fun on the way down (wheee...), always a slog back to the top. :training::sweat:

View attachment 121182

Just putting some numbers in:

Clyde tunnel = 760m

longest cycling tunnel in uk = 1 mile

Proposed Thames tunnel = 2 miles

Longest cycling tunnel in world (disused rail tunnel @ seattle 2 miles)

Top Bottom