England : Kent Thanet Platinum 200 & 110

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
@smutchin is parking possible at/near the start point?

Yep, there's a field you can park in at the start.

And yep, @Dogtrousers has signed up for another go.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
65 entrants on the 200 now. And 14 on the Century. Still open for new entries for one more day...

I've closed the book slightly early on the 110 though as it's full (30) - underestimated the brevet card order. Doh!

Weather is looking promising - forecast says it'll be dry and warm, slightly overcast, and a tailwind for the return leg.
https://www.ventusky.com/?p=51.30;0.34;8&l=temperature-2m&t=20180901/12

Last edited:
OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Note for anyone travelling to the start by train - engineering works means limited service to Herne Bay so it's worth looking instead at trains to Canterbury and Sturry, which is only 5km from the start, though it has a more limited service than Canterbury (only just occurred to me that Sturry could be an option, will add it to the event info for next year).

SteveF

Well I managed to finish....

IMG_20180901_173004.jpg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
111 riders are now en route, @Fab Foodie @Salty seadog and @Dogtrousers among them. Fantastic turnout. Beautiful day for a bike ride.
Indeed! A fantastic late summer day, perfect conditions, lovely people and (for me at least) a very demanding route.
Am shattered, just made it with 20mins to spare. Some lovely food, beer and bomhomie thanks to ‘Goody’ ales.
Have showered, wimpers has made me a lovely cuppa, the cat is in and it’s time for foodie-bye byes.

Thanks @smutchin for a memorable day.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thanks @smutchin for a memorable day.

Thanks for taking part - it's the riders that make it an event. Though the weather and beer help, of course. Well done to you and @Salty seadog for getting full value out of the ride!

And well done to @Dogtrousers for finishing in daylight and being brave enough to take the shortcut through the woods.

Interesting range of responses from riders - all picking up on different parts of the route to complain about! Most seemed to enjoy it on the whole, though. I didn't go out of my way to make it an especially tough route but I don't shirk the hills if they're the nicest option...

Last edited:

Always Cross

Veteran
Had a good but long day it’s the farthest i’ve ever ridden 167km only one wrong turn at the end. I’m definitely a full value rider 1 min to spare at the end. The 3 wheels made it a quite a lot slower but no aches and pains so that’s good. I don’t think a pork pie has ever tasted so good. A great ride thanks for putting this on.

Top Bottom