Thanking Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I once crossed a zebra crossing and failed to say thanks to the driver, he then admonished me out of his window with a sarcastic and aggressive shout of "you're f***g welcome, I won't stop next time!".

I agree with theClaud, this habit of thanking a motorist for complying with a mandatory stop is convincing some of them that it's voluntary and they've done you a favour. Though I fear this particular horse has already bolted and it's such a widespread behaviour / belief that it can't be reversed.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Drivers never wave thanks to me when I'm stood at the kerb waiting for them to go past before crossing.
Indeed, and drivers passing through a green signal don't wave at other drivers who have had to stop at a red light.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I hardly think me nodding at a stationary driver at a pedestrian crossing is a massive reward, and I don't keep a mental score of other people's manners. If we were all strictly transactional, the country would be a pretty dismal place.
Make your mind up, slowmo. Your word, not mine.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I might start thanking the basic law abiding ones for stopping if we ever start punishing most of the scofflaws for driving through. Zebras and even puffins/toucans/pelicans are basically seen as subject to the driver's discretion now.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I might start thanking the basic law abiding ones for stopping if we ever start punishing most of the scofflaws for driving through. Zebras and even puffins/toucans/pelicans are basically seen as subject to the driver's discretion now.
The person who stopped for you is one of the good guys. Doesn't he get a nod? It wouldn't cost you anything.

Top Bottom