Thanking Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I grasp the concept completely because it's what I do, what I don't do is completely ignore any chance of merging but drive right to the front where the lane is now single but try and barge my way in by driving over the hatched markings.

If this is something you do then good luck if you meet me at the front of the cue.
Are we at cross purposes? You seem to be talking about people who overtake what is supposed to be a single-lane queue (eg an exit lane from a motorway) rather than forming a pointless single-file queue in one of two lanes when asked to zip merge?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
They are making themselves angry - the cyclist who doesn't do what they want is not responsible. I'm all for cyclists deciding, if they wish, to facilitate an overtake because they prefer the cars in front of them rather than behind, but placating an angry driver with deference is not doing anything to stem the entitlement which is the source of his anger. It will just make him feel more entitled to expect the next person to move over.

"them", or, "the driver" surely?

Are we at cross purposes? You seem to be talking about people who overtake what is supposed to be a single-lane queue (eg an exit lane from a motorway) rather than forming a pointless single-file queue in one of two lanes when asked to zip merge?
No I'm not, generally you 'merge' when a 2 lane road becomes a 1 lane road, and some people don't bother trying to merge they simply drive past all the single line over the hatched markings on the right (before the road physically becomes one lane) and then try and cut in at the end.

If I'm not being clear I apologise but I'm not explaining again.

yello

I don't believe the two shoots failing to stop at red lights on my way into town did it because a previous crosser failed to thank them.

I'm inclined to agree with you, with the obvious caveat that I can't possibly know for sure.

Not quite what I said though.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
No I'm not, generally you 'merge' when a 2 lane road becomes a 1 lane road, and some people don't bother trying to merge they simply drive past all the single line over the hatched markings on the right (before the road physically becomes one lane) and then try and cut in at the end.

If you're still moving when you get to the hatch marks, it's usually because some self-entitled tw*t in the nearside lane doesn't understand what a zip merge is and has decided they aren't going to let you in.

Much like the type of behaviour someone described a few posts back.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist

If I'm not being clear I apologise but I'm not explaining again.
OK I'm gonna leave it cos it's a bit of a diversion and probably better in the motoring section. I'll just note in passing that Brits don't really get the zip merging thing, preferring to make things worse for everyone rather than risk someone else receiving an undeserved benefit.

So while zip-merging - allowing one vehicle from each lane to enter the remaining lane alternately - is a common concept in America, the majority of British drivers believe they should get into the remaining lane “as soon as possible”, a method that has been proven to significantly increase congestion.

OP
OP
theclaud

theclaud

Openly Marxist
"them", or, "the driver" surely?
Perfectly conventional use of the masculine singular pronoun as a generic, chosen deliberately in this case, both because men drive more and because men tend to especially resent assertive behaviour from women. :okay:

OK I'm gonna leave it cos it's a bit of a diversion and probably better in the motoring section. I'll just note in passing that Brits don't really get the zip merging thing, preferring to make things worse for everyone rather than risk someone else receiving an undeserved benefit.

So while zip-merging - allowing one vehicle from each lane to enter the remaining lane alternately - is a common concept in America, the majority of British drivers believe they should get into the remaining lane “as soon as possible”, a method that has been proven to significantly increase congestion.
Aren't you British then?

If you're still moving when you get to the hatch marks, it's usually because some self-entitled tw*t in the nearside lane doesn't understand what a zip merge is and has decided they aren't going to let you in.

Much like the type of behaviour someone described a few posts back.
Or you should have 'merged' in plenty of time like most do instead of driving like a self entitled tw*t, works both ways pal.

70% of a population reliably getting something simple wrong is a a sound basis for a characterisation that The Nation doesn't get it, I reckon. You seem to think 52% entitles you to Speak For Britain most of the time so I'm not sure it's a great fight for you to pick.
Wtf does this mean?

You refered to people here as Brits which led me to believe you weren't one, what's your problem?

You are one angry chick.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Or you should have 'merged' in plenty of time like most do instead of driving like a self entitled tw*t, works both ways pal.

Except that merging "in plenty of time" typically equates to doing so as soon as drivers see the "lane closed in one mile" sign.

Anyway, this is where we came in ...

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I give a wave or thumbs up even if I have priority.

There are plenty of impatient people who couldn't spare a few seconds for me flying past that pulled out in front of me (and gave me a heart attack) even if it meant they were blocking the entire cycle/bus lane or road waiting to merge with other traffic which wasn't moving at all.

I also thank the people who move their cars a little to the left or right so I can filter past when at a set of lights. Of course they don't need to but it's nice when they do.

What does annoy me occasionally is when I give way to a pedestrian trying to cross a road and they take the piss by not even acknowledging me and walking strolling across the road as slow as they can crawl. These people are a special bunch and they drive me up the absolute wall but luckily they are very few and far between but i digress. For every muppet like this there have been countless numbers of people who HAVE thanked me for slowing down or stopping so they can cross to the other side of the road.

So a little bit of politeness goes a long way even if not everyone you share the road (and would rather not) appreciates your presence there.
It doesnt take a whole lot of effort to tip your hat, nod or lift your hand for a small wave. You get what you give.

Top Bottom