The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I had great intentions on Saturday night it the weather forecast was cold but dry. Liars, every one of them. Blootered down with rain pretty much from the off and I felt the back end skip once or twice before I finally stopped at the airport to fix a puncture which was a complete pain I could have done without. I was on the clock today as I'm now sitting on a plane heading for the big smoke so I obviously couldn't be late. It got colder as the rain got heavier and I thought about abandoning the whole thing but the legs wouldn't let me. I originally planned for 50 miles but in the end grateful to get 60 odd k for another point in the bag. :thumbsup:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Well done mate :notworthy:
Incredible stuff so far!

I’m off the mark this month too with a five-point double whammy after a ride to and from Stratford YHA with the club, stopping at Meriden to pay respects to the fallen.

Cheers Chris :thumbsup:

Cracking weekends riding buddy, great stuff :bicycle:. Bumped into @cyberknight at the end of my ride and he mentioned seeing you in Meriden.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
The plan to get out before 9 was flummoxed by the P fairy. The front tyre on the Van Nic was rather squidgy, and not too much looking I found a slice right through the Gatorskin tyre about 8mm long. Whatever caused that on the last ride only just nicked the inner tube enough for a very slow deflation, but the tyre was a write-off, annoying as it was only 2100 miles old. Not to worry, raided the tyre store and found a 25C Gatorskin, fitted and we're off (25C on the front, 28C on the back, so I had to keep an eye on the back to make sure it didn't catch up too much with the front:laugh:). Out just after 9, on the plus side I missed a big downpour whilst inside fitting the new tyre, so every cloud and all that....
Off out through Wentworth ball whacking course, then down to Sunningdale before a right turn and towards Windsor Great Park. In through Dukes Gate before heading up through Deer Park. The plan of a big loop round the outside of the park was binned as the road along Smiths Lawn/the polo club was closed (properly too, with Heras fencing). Instead I went past the Royal Scholl, did a couple of the little hills then aimed for the Air Force Memorial as my lad was on parade there today. No lock and I can't take the bike in, so rolled down Egham Hill to St Johns where my lass was on parade. 2 minutes silence done at the side of the road, watched by lass march back to the rendezvous point then home.
Stayed dry, and I actually enjoyed todays ride which makes all the difference. 31 miles
I hope there was an extra .07 of a mile in there for a metric half or that's a definite an official warning for not completing a metric half :okay:. Glad you enjoy the ride though :thumbsup:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well I'd already done the qualifying ride, but it's funny how these challenges affect you, so I did a lap of the block to make it 31.2 miles^_^
Glad to hear that ,were not obsessed with distance at all :laugh:

Domus

Guru
My first ride with the Chorlton Wanderers was a little short of 50K because I declined the pub at the end. Lesson learned.
Up in Grange for a few days, this morning was glorious, warm sun, clear skies and almost no wind. Fabulous 53K ride out with superb views of The Lyth Valley and Morecambe Bay. The days don’t get better than this. :bicycle::sun:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
8th January:- Home-Chertsey-Walton-Weybridge-Byfleet-Laleham-Staines-Home. 50.7km

8th February:- Home-Foxhills-Rowtown-Pyrford-Wisley-Cobham-Byfleet-Addlestone-Home. 51.7km

5th March:- Home-Wentworth-WGP-Cheapside-WGP-Home 52.5km

11th April:- Home-Staines-Wraysbury-Datchet-Eton-Old Windsor-Chertsey-Shepperton-Home. 51km.

1st May:- Home-Stroude-Wentworth-Windsor Great Park-Home. 52.7km

1st June:- Home-Walton-Esher-Hampton Court-Chertsey-Staines-Home. 53.6km

5th July:- Home-Datchet-Eton Dorney-Windsor-Staines-Chertsey-Home. 53.2km

14th August:- St Leon sur Vezere, Thonac, Montignac, Le Verdier, Chabanettas, Fanlac. 55.2km

6th September:- Home, Staines, Chertsey, Walton, Hampton Court, back the same y. 50.8km

9th October:- Home, Staines, Wraysbury, Datchet, Eton, Eton Dorney Lake, Windsor Home. 51.7km

Sorry my bad, I'm pretty awful at remembering to update the challenge threads. All done:okay:
You may have missed something ? Novembers ride :okay::laugh:

Top Bottom