The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Finally posted up my ride which turned out to be my only qualifying ride of the month. I had high hopes of at least a couple of more rides but it turned out a month of little more than commute rides. The ride itself was excellent as we headed into the city for the Glasgow lets ride event. I did meet a fellow CCer, which is always a pleasure and Mrs Slick managed to coax my mate and his teenage daughter off the couch to join us even if they did drive almost all the way into town first.:secret:
I've never done the let's ride thing before and was a bit apprehensive as it's more a kids and family kind of day, but we all loved it. The entertainment in the green was ace and it's always fun cycling in the city without having to worry about traffic. We did 4 laps of the 5 mile route before racing my mate and his daughter home, we lost but only just. :training:

C R

Guru
5 more riders fully posted for Aug ,1 more declared but not yet posted so that's 40 of us moving on . 2 riders whom I not sure of so total could rise .
Well done @C R the first postee this month taking @kapelmuur usual spot who still got a ride in on the first as did quite a few others well done everyone. Other good news @Milkfloat has found his mojo
Thanks @13 rider, it was just a coincidence that today was Sunday and first of the month.

kapelmuur

Veteran
5 more riders fully posted for Aug ,1 more declared but not yet posted so that's 40 of us moving on . 2 riders whom I not sure of so total could rise .
Well done @C R the first postee this month taking @kapelmuur usual spot who still got a ride in on the first as did quite a few others well done everyone. Other good news @Milkfloat has found his mojo

I’ll be relinquishing my “usual spot” next month too as I’m on holiday without my bike.

Back for 1st November though!

slow scot

Veteran
I'm late, but will post today. Apologies!

iandg

Legendary Member
Got the ride in early this month.

Met up with Cicerone guidebook writer Richard Barrett at Moffat and rode with him to Abington where we parted - he rode on to Glasgow for the train and I returned to Moffat via Leadhills and Greenhillstairs.

Richard lived in Harris for a while and we used to ride together - Rain and wind most of the day - just to remind us of the Hebrides

IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0979.JPG

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
January 2019 - 2 points
February 2019 - 3 points
March 2019 - 2 points
April 2019 - 5 points
May 2019 - 3 points
June 2019 - 2 points
July 2019 - 1 point
August 2019 - 1 point

7th September 2019
50.20 km
- Shadwell, Thorner, Rigton Green, a couple of loops around the lanes, Bramham, Aberford, Barwick, Scholes and the long way round to home - 1 point

Running total: 20 points

Reports in the 'Your ride today' thread
Well done Dave this report made me smile .Under the circumstances I wasn't sure you would be out riding .Keep on going

bluenotebob

Veteran
Today was my first chance to do a longish ride on the new Shaper 200 that I bought on Friday (photo of the new bike below)

I ended up going quite a lot further than I'd planned - 89km rather than the 62 that I thought I'd do - and I could have gone even further if I'd had the foresight to carry more than a couple of dates and three or four cookies for lunch..

Anyway, I'm pleased with the new bike - just a couple of little niggles which I'll try and resolve (or get used to). It's not very different from my other bike except that the tyres are 700 x 28 (rather than 700 x 32) - but that little difference means slightly faster and slightly longer...which can only be good.

Shaper 200 06092019 pic 2.JPG

Domus

Guru
Very windy this morning so what possessed me to return from mum's over the West Pennine Moors I'll never know.
First part was easy if busy, A6 from Farnworth to Chorley with coffee at Frederick's (of course) It started to drizzle soon after so it was on with my early Christmas present from last week, my Gore Shake Dry jacket. Left mum's and it was dry but the wind!!!!!! it was like pedalling in treacle. Picked up the Tour of Britain route on Scout Road and called in at Costa Bolton for a well earned Lemon Drizzle cake and 76 Kms at the finish.
Will try and get to Scout Road on Saturday and stand at the Armco on the right hander. Look out on TV for the eejit waving a Lancashire flag. :hyper:

6F0A7F26-0FF0-4539-952B-FC3898C519A8.jpeg
September done.

First ride outdoors in nearly four weeks having been beset with a few health problems, work and lack of motivation. Thought I’d start as I mean to go on and hit the climbs to blow off a few cobwebs. Set off at 5pm into the wind but was largely sheltered as the ride progressed.

I realised I hadn’t done my “once a year hill” this year and so it was on my radar. Greysich lane near Swadlincote was that climb and despite reaching a max HR of 197 I managed to get up with relative ease, if a little out of breath! Even managed a PR...... still a good minute behind the lads though!

From there it was into Hartshorne and a long drag back out towards Ashby-de-la-Zouch. The nights are quickly drawing in as we enter autumn and the shades were no longer needed (I sweated that hard I couldn’t see out of them anyway!) and I stuck them in my lid for the rest of the ride.

Weaved through some local lanes as opposed to the direct route home, all for benefit of the challenge and to get a point on the board for September.

31.6 in 2 hours dead.
https://strava.app.link/nEodlUmGVZ

gavgav

Guru
This pains and upsets me to write, but I’m officially out of the challenge, for the first time in 5 years, due to my fractured hand :sad:

Went to Physio, this week and was told strictly no cycling at all until further notice. I’m not back there until 30th September and so that’s when I will next be discussing things.

The problem is the knuckle joint, which is still very limited in movement and painful. New exercises to do, which are horrific compared to the ones I thought were painful previously. There is simply no way I can either grip a handlebar safely or even pull a brake lever on efficiently.

Good luck all who remain in the challenge for this year.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
This pains and upsets me to write, but I’m officially out of the challenge, for the first time in 5 years, due to my fractured hand :sad:

Went to Physio, this week and was told strictly no cycling at all until further notice. I’m not back there until 30th September and so that’s when I will next be discussing things.

The problem is the knuckle joint, which is still very limited in movement and painful. New exercises to do, which are horrific compared to the ones I thought were painful previously. There is simply no way I can either grip a handlebar safely or even pull a brake lever on efficiently.

Good luck all who remain in the challenge for this year.
Gutted for you :cry:. Was hoping you would heal and sneak a ride in. But you need to get your hand sorted properly to prevent future problems . Wishing you a steady and total recovery

Top Bottom