The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the reminder.
We have only managed four rides so far this month, one of 18miles, 2 x 100k's and a 200k. Stig was with us for the 100's but he isn't in that challenge.
The half century hinges on Saturday, we were aware and have planned a ride for the three of us so fingers are crossed that will work out!

gavgav

Guru
Bad luck, @gavgav - let it heal properly and come back strong in 2020.

When I was off my bike ill in 2012 I regained my fitness by building up to some serious power walking. Maybe you could keep yourself fit doing that while your bones mend?
Thanks Colin.

Yes been getting some walking in, where I can, up some Welsh Mountains and just back from 3 days in Venice where i walked for 17 miles in total! Can’t really say I was power walking, but my legs know about it now.

aferris2

Guru
Have just completed another ride for September. We are camped in the Goolawah national park and it looked like there was a nice circular ride that I could do. Google maps and maps.me both said there were some gravel roads but I expected that. Neither of them would plot a car route round the loop but were quite happy to give a route by bike. This made me think there was some kind of obstruction along the route. Anyhow, I set off on the first bit which was nicely tarmaced. Then I got to the start of the gravel. I asked someone at a campsite down the road if the road was ok and was assured that it was no problem. A couple of miles later I found myself looking at a track that was just about passable in a 4WD. I hoped it was just a short stretch, but no. 2.5 miles of soft sand! After getting through that bit I was seriously behind schedule. I pressed on but unsealed roads and corrugations don't make it easy at all, especially in the dark. Fantastic ride but very very exhausting!
Edited to correct the name of the national park (thanks spell checker)

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My bad @13 rider , I have done the ride but not the thread, slapped wrist again. Mojo has gone on holiday again and the legs are playing up so not done any real distance for a couple of weeks. Hope to squeeze the metric century in this week, might have to be a slow flat one.

Sorry to hear about the hand @gavgav , I've not been very active on here for a while so missed that one. Anyone around that could loan you a recumbent trike?

Domus

Guru
Missed out on the lovely weather over the weekend as I was away in the 7, so not all bad.
The forecast for today was dry all day, it was heavy drizzle at breakfast so left it 'till after 10 to set out. The roads were VERY wet with standing water almost everywhere but the winds were very light. The drizzle came back with a vengeance on Green Arms Road and I climbed over to Rivington in wet low cloud after a hot pasty and coffee in MK Cycles. Much easier riding through Adlington and Westhoughton which helped to bring my average speed up for the day.
62 Kms and 850 metres of up meant I had earned a chocolate twist in Costa. :hungry:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Update and nudge time . We have 25 riders fully posted up for September 1 rider done a ride but not update the challenge thread in @tallliman . The bad news is we have last @gavgav to an injury :sad: which is such a shame as he's been in from the start of the challenge leaving just 3 originals still going . We also appear to have lost @Sbudge as well he has not posted a ride for August or September and hasn't visit the forum recently not no more information.
Nudge time for @cosmicbike ,@Osprey ,@steverob ,@StuartG ,@LeetleGreyCells ,@Rob and Alison ,@Lilliburlero ,@Houthakker ,@lane ,@PeteXXX ,@Ice2911 ,@demro and @Cranky Knee Girl
I have not completely reread the threads so apologies if I've nudged you in error
Well done everyone :okay:
I have a post on the 50km thread, p46:

September 2019
Cumulative all challenges 138pts
This challenge (rides 50km><100km only) 32pts
Sun 8th 100km 818m BCG to Sweets and a Belmont to finish Home-Backwell-Yatton-Wrington-Churchill-Westhay-Mark-Loxton-Congresbury-Yatton-Backwell-Failand-Long Ashton-Home 3pts
Sat 14th 103km 1142m Skirting the Cotswolds Audax Bristol/Filton-Frampton Cotterelll-Littleton Drew-Didmartin-Hillesley-Wotton under Edge-Breadstone-Sharpness-Berkeley-Littleton upon Severn-Almondsbury 3pts
Sun 15th 50km 275m BCG Bullocks Farm Home-Backwell-Nailsea-Clevedon-Kingston Seymour-Backwell-Home 1pt
Sat 21st 254km 2440m GWR Plains and Trains PTNA Audax Home-Bristol-Warmley-Malmesbury-Blunsdon-Wootton Bassett-Avebury-Woodhenge-Stonehenge-Shrewton-Boyton-Stoke St Michael-Radstock-Keynsham-Warmley-Bristol-Home 6pts

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
January: 4 rides, 5 points
February: 2 rides, 3 points
March: 4 rides, 8 points
April: 4 rides, 8 points
May: 4 rides, 8 points (becoming a bit of a trend here...)
June: 6 rides, 12 points
July: 2 rides, 2 points
August:
2 rides, 4 points
28th September: 32.56 miles - First (proper) ride in seven weeks, took it fairly easy (understandably). Still hurts my ankle a little when I unclip, so used that as an excuse not to stop! - https://www.strava.com/activities/2746759124 - 1 point

Total so far: 51 points
Well done glad you made it

Update and nudge time . We have 25 riders fully posted up for September 1 rider done a ride but not update the challenge thread in @tallliman . The bad news is we have last @gavgav to an injury :sad: which is such a shame as he's been in from the start of the challenge leaving just 3 originals still going . We also appear to have lost @Sbudge as well he has not posted a ride for August or September and hasn't visit the forum recently not no more information.
Nudge time for @cosmicbike ,@Osprey ,@steverob ,@StuartG ,@LeetleGreyCells ,@Rob and Alison ,@Lilliburlero ,@Houthakker ,@lane ,@PeteXXX ,@Ice2911 ,@demro and @Cranky Knee Girl
I have not completely reread the threads so apologies if I've nudged you in error
Well done everyone :okay:

I'm back, new job and sickness has meant both brain (forgot to post August rides) and body (hardly ridden in September) had gone on strike. Still in the game for both 50km and 100km challenges....threads now updated.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Top Bottom