The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
That's my qualifying ride done. 102 km to Milton Keynes and back.
T'was a ride with a purpose, namely my HGV medical was due for the year, and it's only £40 at the clinic I use.

Not a bad ride, but quite breezy!

Mainly on tarmac, but a few miles of canal bank and an aquaduct, with bonus swans.

https://strava.app.link/15uFtdyMn0

:smile:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Always knew that this was going to be a tough time to get cycling time in, but it all came down to this weekend. Jibbed out on Sat as the wind was very strong so it was today or nothing. The rain was continuous and heavy at times with plenty of flooded roads. If it hadn't been for this challenge I would have stayed in bed this morning, but managed to get a qualifing ride in. Still in the game.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Always knew that this was going to be a tough time to get cycling time in, but it all came down to this weekend. Jibbed out on Sat as the wind was very strong so it was today or nothing. The rain was continuous and heavy at times with plenty of flooded roads. If it hadn't been for this challenge I would have stayed in bed this morning, but managed to get a qualifing ride in. Still in the game.
Well done ,dedication to the cause :okay:

Slick

Guru
It's the long weekend in Scotland this weekend and I had great plans to cycle Glencoe until I got a call to go to London on Friday which put paid to that. I didn't really mind until I saw the cracking day Friday turned out to be, especially the sun set which would have made my original plan an awesome ride as Glencoe is a special place any time but tenfold when mother nature decides to give you a glimpse of what she can do. Anyway, another plan on the back burner for now and yesterday was a kind of nothing day as I had to pick up Mrs Slick in the middle of the day from the train station as she went to Fortwilliam without me. When I woke this morning, the sun was already streaming through the windows and I knew I had to do something with the day. Mrs Slick thought we were only doing a few mile bimble down to the Dunlop Dairy but I managed to get her 9n my extended loop without too many questions and by the time she realised, it was too late to turn back. Great day, until I ate too much for lunch and the 9 mile ride home felt like 19 although Mrs Slick loved it. I've never really been able to eat much whilst out and about, never been able to workout why.

SOGGY, but we made it!
Set off on Saturday morning to try to get our ride in before the forecast rain arrived, rain arrived early and torrentially, so we ended up soaked, Stig was not at all impressed! Our makeshift raincover for his basket wasn't a great success, he is insisting we come up with a new plan for it before we next go out with the possibility of rain.
At least we made it though, only managed five rides for September!

Aiming not to cut it so fine in October.

bruce1530

Guru
So.... what are the magic runes that you have to add to your signature to get the little stars? Mine seem to have broken during the last upgrade....

Katherine

Guru
Good luck with your healinh
This pains and upsets me to write, but I’m officially out of the challenge, for the first time in 5 years, due to my fractured hand :sad:

Went to Physio, this week and was told strictly no cycling at all until further notice. I’m not back there until 30th September and so that’s when I will next be discussing things.

The problem is the knuckle joint, which is still very limited in movement and painful. New exercises to do, which are horrific compared to the ones I thought were painful previously. There is simply no way I can either grip a handlebar safely or even pull a brake lever on efficiently.

Good luck all who remain in the challenge for this year.
So sorry to hear this. Wishing you good healing.
It's almost a year since I hurt my hands. I was off the bike for 3 months. I couldn't wait to get back. The first day I was allowed, I set off on a 20 mile loop which was a bit ambitious because I had to keep stopping to rest my hands. After some great physio I was able to do most things properly and have noticed that I'm still getting improvements in strength and flexibility even now.
I was lucky that I could rejoin this challenge in January.

aferris2

Guru
October ride done so just another 2 to go. From Byron Bay to Ballina and back again. Tried to do a bit of riding on the beach but the sand was too soft even right down by the waters edge. It's called 6 mile beach and I was the only person on it for the whole stretch that I did.
Nearly ran over a snake in Ballina. Went back to see if i could take a photo but ot was gone. Don't know what type it was but it was a light brown. I will do some research.

gavgav

Guru
Good luck with your healinh

So sorry to hear this. Wishing you good healing.
It's almost a year since I hurt my hands. I was off the bike for 3 months. I couldn't wait to get back. The first day I was allowed, I set off on a 20 mile loop which was a bit ambitious because I had to keep stopping to rest my hands. After some great physio I was able to do most things properly and have noticed that I'm still getting improvements in strength and flexibility even now.
I was lucky that I could rejoin this challenge in January.
Thanks for your kind words and that’s good to hear. It’s almost 2 months for me now and I miss the bike so much. I had some positive news, yesterday, as the physiotherapist discharged me, due to me making good progress. She has advised further exercises, for now, but I’m hoping to be able to try some short rides at some stage in October. It will just depend on my ability to pull on the brakes to a safe level. Perseverance will get me there

Top Bottom