The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
First October effort yesterday (Oct 2) could well be my last in shorts, blooming nippy around my poor old knees. "I'm a pensioner you know" :cold:

Anyway, combined a visit to mum's in Chorley with a visit to the dentist in Horwich, my life is a social whirl. :laugh:

Are horsey people not vulnerable road users also? If so why did that **** driving the horse box on the A6 rev his engine just behind my rear wheel, then do a VERY close overtake as I was slowing down at a red light, he then braked and squeezed me into the kerb at the said red light.

Still, survived to tell the tale with 65 Kms done. Next long ride will be the FNRTTC on October 11, may just have a pootle to check over the winter bike beforehand.

October done :okay:

Nipped out early doors this morning for a cheeky point and to get over the line for October. I’ve been sucked into the murky world of Veloviewer square chasing you see, and once signed up it became quickly apparent I’d missed a few local squares, so I set off to nab those little stragglers! :laugh:The first one was a gated road in Market Bosworth which was flooded at the Sutton Cheney end and I was greeted by a displeased, hissing Mother Goose and her goslings. Once that obstacle was overcome, I grabbed another one at Higham on the Hill and two more bridging Nuneaton and Hinckley. Once them little beauties were in the bag, I ventured along familiar flat and gently rolling roads towards home. 38.5 early miles, having to get home for half past 9 at the latest. Cool but bright weather and no wind made it very pleasurable indeed.

bruce1530

Guru
Got a trip in for October.
Started off with a 5k ride, then a train journey. I’ve got a season ticket from here to Glasgow, so might as well make use of it at the weekend to explore a little bit further from home.

Got off at Lochwinnoch, about 20k from home. Chilly morning. It was mostly;y dry, but roads were wet in places. This will be the last outing of the year for the fingerless gloves, I think - and time to put the mudguards back on.

Through the town and uphill, following back roads across the moor towards Port Glasgow, to catch an elusive Veloviewer tile. Strava/Garmin took me along a track that was not ideal for a road bike - I got through, but if it had been any muddier or wetter, I’d have had to turn back.

Didn’t go all the way down the hill in Port Glasgow - there are some steep hills there - just half way, then joined route75 and back via Kilmacolm and Bridge of Weir. Ended up at Johnstone, for train home. Main loop was 42k, with another 5k at each end from the station to home, so I’m claiming it as a 50 :-)

1570277981207.png

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm across the line for October - always good to get an early ride in at this time of year.
Dry but a bit chilly out and if anyone is in any doubt about how much rain we've had this last couple of weeks the watercourses have burst their banks flooding the fields and getting very close to the roads around Stutton and Ulleskelf and the road 'twixt Ryther and Cawood is closed due to flooding. Be interesting to see how Storm Lorenzo impacts on that over the next few hours...

lane

Veteran
Thanks! I planned the route because I want to do more hills. The bonus was that it turned out to be a really nice ride with great scenery. Not sure which hill Greysich was I will have a look.

@lane just looked on your Strava ,kudos on Greysich hill that's a nasty one . At least you went down Beacon hill . Some very local roads to me I commute to Quorn for work
Yeah as @Lilliburlero and I like to call it- the “once a year” Hill. And I’ve done it this year......
Thanks! I planned the route because I want to do more hills. The bonus was that it turned out to be a really nice ride with great scenery. Not sure which hill Greysich was I will have a look.

between Repton and Hartshorne.

Yes I was thinking it probably was that one. Didn't know how steep it was when I planned the route so was a bit of a shock. Luckily I have some very low gears on a triple or I would have been walking.
It’s about 13-15% I think. And you’re pretty much straight on it when you turn onto Greysich Lane! You did well to get up it. There is a strava segment called 5 shades of grey, whereby you go up Greysich and down t’other side to Brook Street in Hartshorne then go back round and do it four more times!

Domus

Guru
Not as wet as the infamous 2019 Manchester to Blackpool FNRttC ride but it came close. Stayed in Steyning for a long weekend, to do the ride and catch up with Hove based family members. The ride down to Shoreham station on Friday evening set the tone. A headwind with driving rain meant my gentle warm up was awful. My glasses became almost a blindfold, the standing water on the A27, added to the fast up and down traffic did not calm the nerves. My heart rate eased once on board the train to Victoria. There I met Nigel who had kindly offered to guide a northern country bumpkin to the start. Buck house and the Palace of Westminster were kindly lit by officers of the Met with pretty flashing blue lights. Nigel introduced us to London ways, we rode on pavements, past No Entry signs and even through a red light. We survived this prelude, met Adam and rode South. John and I bailed out just before Partridge Green as his train back to the north was beckoning I kept him company to my hotel where I abandoned him to his fate lured by breakfast with Mrs Domus and a hot shower.
Thanks to all for making us welcome, I’m sure others will fill in the details of the actual ride.

Last edited:
Met up with a friend this morning for a leisurely spin around Charnwood. Nice and dry, not too much wind and not too cold.
Didn’t plan an exact route, did it largely on the fly but was conscious of a few stray VV squares that needed getting so I made sure today was the day in which to nab them. Met up with my mate around 11am and we set off through the familiar local lanes, nabbing the first square in the first couple of miles.
We pressed on into a housing estate in Loughborough to grab square number two and it was then on to Quorn, up and out the other side and a right turn around swithland reservoir for number 3.
Square grabs complete, we rolled into Swithland and did a little climbing up swithland road before cruising around Cropston Reservoir and into Anstey.
Climbing out of Anstey and into Newtown Linford where we stopped at a cafe on the outskirts of Bradgate Park.

Coffee and cake devoured, we had one more climb up sharpley hill and back to Beacon Hill crossroads, where my mate and I parted company. A little gentle climbing through Copt Oak, a nice drop and a flat mile to get home, 39 miles to the good.

(copied to Your Ride Today)

https://strava.app.link/RHMUavc9I0

Top Bottom