The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I wasn't sure if I could get away for a few hours this morning as we have visitors that included a couple of young teenagers but it turns out they all like their bed so as long as I got away first thing, it would be possible they would never miss me. It was a cool but very bright morning when I left, not really convinced that I was feeling like it but I also had in my mind that I'll be flying to London tomorrow afternoon for work so I'll miss at least a couple of commute rides this week so it was now or probably never. I did meet a number of cyclists and most of them appeared to be doing a similar loop to me but just the opposite direction as I'm sure that I met them again as I turned for home. The one cyclist that was going in my direction passed me as I crested a bit of a climb, although I was having a bit of a rest at the time and was really only turning the pedals fast enough to stop me falling over at the time. :laugh: There is a lovely slight downhill run from there into Stewarton and with the wind at my back it did become a bit awkward as it did look that I had taken the nip at being passed on the hill as I cruised along at 30mph I caught the guy again and tailed him for a bit before he turned off. From there the wind let you know it was there and now in your face and it was a fairly straightforward run for home other than meeting a couple of groups of horse riders. The first group were going the same way as I was, so I was a bit apprehensive about how to get their attention without spooking them but they heard me coming and pulled onto the verge which allowed me to give them a wide berth, but the second group were coming head on and waving at me to slow down, which was unusual as I was blowing out my ass on an uphill stretch at the time. :laugh: Turns out it was a new horse to them and they weren't sure how it would react to cyclists. They thanked me for stopping as we went along our way with no hassles. Cracking day for a ride and I got back just in time for everyone getting out their bed and then wasted my good work with a full fry up. Delish. :hungry:

footloose crow

Über Member
Madame Crow and myself have just driven miles and miles to the far north in Somerset to pursue some more 50k challenges. I haven’t told her that tomorrow’s ride is longer than she thinks.

Domus

Guru
Forecast was good so off I went in the pale sunshine to Belmont for coffee and a pasty, however no pastys :eek: and Mrs Domus rang with a non working car key fob. As I had changed the battery just the day before, I was not flavour of the month. A kind security guard at the supermarket removed and re fitted the battery and all was well. By this time the cloud had rolled in and the temperature dropped as the wind picked up. After a bacon toastie in Tockholes, where the fox hunt had gathered, I turned for home into a bitterly cold headwind. No overshoes this morning :cold:
One day I'll get my wardrobe right :wacko:
Still 61 Kms and another point in the bag 👍

footloose crow

Über Member
Two good days in what feels like northern England if you live in Cornwall - but is called 'Somerset'. It lovely and flat! Pity its three hours drive away.

21 Oct: Around the south of Glastonbury, up the only steep hill there was to High Ham and then over the next ridge to lots of level Levels. 38 miles and 1200 feet.

22 Oct: Le Tour de Tor. Another meandering route across sections of Level but also surrounding ridge lines, none high though thank goodness. Glastonbury Tor acted as the pivot, always visible, never close. I do like it here apart from the fact that its very cold. Low October sun, not much warmth. 38 miles and 870 feet.

Madame Crow is very upset with me and scotched the third day of biking, after she found I had misled her on the length of both routes 490273

. Twenty looks a bit like thirty eight doesn't it? So today we went for a walk instead and now its raining.

Still on track for the year, just 2 more months to go. Work is playing merry hell with my riding this year. I changed jobs 3 months ago and although it's a wonderful place I've been crazy busy. Then this week they gave me another department to run (in addition to the one I joined for). It's very nice of them (and will be fun) but I'm running out of hours in the day...or night for that matter.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Monthly update time we have 32 riders fully posted up . So with 1 weekend to go we have 7 riders yet to post so nudges for @Spinney ,@iandg ,@LeetleGreyCells ,@Houthakker ,@PeteXXX ,@Nomadski and @tallliman . Well done everyone . On a personal note October is my lowest scoring month in 4 years with only 2 50km rides ,1 imperial ton and yet to do a metric ton for that challenge leaving it late

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm still nursing my knee.. Fingers (not legs) crossed that it's not a permanent thing 😔

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire

Slick

Guru
Another straightforward point to add to the tally, although I tried to mix up my go to ride for the sake of it by heading over to the cycle path that runs along the old A77 which is an excellent facility when you are used to no facilities but it must be the most boring stretch of track I've ever cycled as there is just nothing there. I did meet a number of other cyclists out and about, some on the path but most favouring the road, but I just felt a bit slow into a pretty tough breeze so I stuck to the path. The usual tea stop at the Dunlop Dairy then home for a couple of hours working from home before settling down for the football later. I love Sundays. :okay:

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Have been struggling to get any cycling time in over the last few months due to work, and building work at home, so have only managed 2 rides in the last two months! Managed to make them both count to keep me in the game, and got a nice 50k in today in some sunshine (Nippy though) Hopefully getting through the worst of it now and won't struggle so much after another couple of weeks, so won't need to leave it til the last gasp!

Top Bottom