The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
This pains and upsets me to write, but I’m officially out of the challenge, for the first time in 5 years, due to my fractured hand :sad:

Went to Physio, this week and was told strictly no cycling at all until further notice. I’m not back there until 30th September and so that’s when I will next be discussing things.

The problem is the knuckle joint, which is still very limited in movement and painful. New exercises to do, which are horrific compared to the ones I thought were painful previously. There is simply no way I can either grip a handlebar safely or even pull a brake lever on efficiently.

Good luck all who remain in the challenge for this year.
Sorry to hear that. GWS

bruce1530

Guru
At last I’ve got a ride in. August was a struggle (only 2 rides) and I haven’t bee out for 3 or 4 weeks - combination of family commitments, being a bit under the weather, and generally shoot weather at weekends.

But today’s run was good. Out well before 9. Windy. Got about half a mile down the road and decided that summer was over, short sleeves weren’t a good idea, so turned back for something warmer.

Back out, headed along the main road to Kilwinning, where I picked up NCN7 and followed it north to Glengarnock, then Lochwinnoch. Stopped at the visitor centre for a coffee, then back on to route 7.
After Johnstone, forked left, and route 75 to Kilmacolm. Onto some farm roads and kept going to Port Glasgow, where I got a train home. 60k.

This pains and upsets me to write, but I’m officially out of the challenge, for the first time in 5 years, due to my fractured hand :sad:

Went to Physio, this week and was told strictly no cycling at all until further notice. I’m not back there until 30th September and so that’s when I will next be discussing things.

The problem is the knuckle joint, which is still very limited in movement and painful. New exercises to do, which are horrific compared to the ones I thought were painful previously. There is simply no way I can either grip a handlebar safely or even pull a brake lever on efficiently.

Sorry to hear this, get well soon!

aferris2

Guru
Ride done for September. Was getting slightly nervous that I would run out of time to do a ride with our small relocation to the other side of the world. Got the bike on Friday so, apart from the ride out of the centre of Sydney, this is the first real ride on it. I don't think I have ever done a flatter ride than this and it was really just up and down the road into the National Park. They are relocating the road at the moment because the sand dunes are threatening to swamp the road so there are 2 sets of roadworks controlled by Stop/Slow boards. They are hardly needed because there is so little traffic, so it was straight through without even slowing down. Weather's beginning to get warmer too, so that's going to be a bonus for your winter (my summer) months.
Oh, and I got attacked by one of those Australian magpie. Swooped down on me from behind twice which came as a bit of a surprise.

kapelmuur

Veteran

Very sorry to see this, so frustrating for you - come back stronger, as they say.

COYB

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
September's done, 100.18Km - Blaby - Willoughby Waterlys - Ashby Parva - Gilmorton - Walcote -South Kilworth - Stanford - Cold Ashby - Guilsborough - - Cottersbrooke - Creaton - Brixworth (almost) - Cottesbrooke - Naseby - Sibertoft - Marston Trussel - Thedingworth - Saddington - Fleckney - Arnesby - Ashby Parva - Peatling Parva - 200m up the road to Foston to guarantee making the 100 - Countesthorpe - Blaby

not quite the same as last month - I normally go from Cold Ashby to Naseby then to Brixworth - seems my route this time was shorter - I realised this and went 200m up the road from Peatling Parva to Foston - just to make it over 100km. If I hadn't it would have been a 99.8km ride..can't be having that!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

I'm very sorry to hear this Gav. It's a shame but healing properly trumps motivational challenges.

You know where I am if you want some company when you are ready to ride again.:thumbsup:

Slick

Guru
I posted up 3 qualifying rides in one post, the reason being two fold. Firstly, my tablet that I usually use has been playing up and is away for repair which left me my phone which I can't really be bothered to use that much. The other, probably more prevalent reason is that one the first ride of the month, which was an organised ride that I absolutely loved, some poor individual passed away after having an heart attack on the ride and I felt a bit more than guilty enthusing about my experience when some family had a very different one.

The second ride was just a Sunday spin to clear the cobwebs after spending most of Saturday feeling sorry for myself hungover, and the final ride was just an extended commute ride home as Mrs Slick had taken her mum away for a few days to celebrate her 70th birthday, so I had an "empty" so no need to rush home.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Update and nudge time . We have 25 riders fully posted up for September 1 rider done a ride but not update the challenge thread in @tallliman . The bad news is we have last @gavgav to an injury :sad: which is such a shame as he's been in from the start of the challenge leaving just 3 originals still going . We also appear to have lost @Sbudge as well he has not posted a ride for August or September and hasn't visit the forum recently not no more information.
Nudge time for @cosmicbike ,@Osprey ,@steverob ,@StuartG ,@LeetleGreyCells ,@Rob and Alison ,@Lilliburlero ,@Houthakker ,@lane ,@PeteXXX ,@Ice2911 ,@demro and @Cranky Knee Girl
I have not completely reread the threads so apologies if I've nudged you in error
Well done everyone :okay:

Last edited:
Top Bottom