The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another 2 points in the bag this morning with a very cold ride with the Saga CC crew over to the Bear cafe in Uttoxeter and back.

Familiar roads to start but then ventured into some newer ones which were very pleasant indeed until we hit the JCB site at Rocester then it was as lumpy as hell, with a bit of tit-for-tat with a bin lorry thrown in too! We began to splinter as a group a bit at this stage as one of the lads (the route planner!) was tiring and not firing on all cylinders. One dropped back to be his domestique, two others had a leg stretch and shot off and I was Billy no mates in the middle!

We regrouped at Uttoxeter itself and after 3/4 hr, 2 coffees and a bacon sarnie we headed back along familiar and very flat roads. Giving Will and Martin a five minute head start, we set off and it took maybe 8 or 9 miles to run them down but we eventually did just that and then I dropped into domestique duties for the remainder of the ride while the others powered on.

56 miles dead, 3:45ish and very cold but a very enjoyable and well planned ride where the work was done in the first half, I’d give it 5/5 stars if it weren’t for crossing the busy A50!
https://www.strava.com/activities/2056976251/shareable_images/map_based?hl=en-US&v=1546692465

https://www.relive.cc/view/2056976251

C R

Guru
Managed my first ride of the challenge this morning
IMG_20190106_112844.jpg

A few twists and turns added to make sure I would be over the distance.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I'm getting jealous. A bad cold and cough has limited any long rides over the last fortnight, but I'm hopeful to get stuck in for this year sometime next week (if doing this challenge each year has taught me anything, it's that it's all a state of mind). :becool:

Katherine

Guru
I joined the club ride last Sunday but only for the middle section, doing 20 miles, which was enough for my hands. I tried to really use my core and not put too much pressure on my hands but they were still sore, especially going over uneven surfaces.
I will join them for the start next Sunday and see how I go. It would be a qualifying distance if I do it.

I joined the club ride last Sunday but only for the middle section, doing 20 miles, which was enough for my hands. I tried to really use my core and not put too much pressure on my hands but they were still sore, especially going over uneven surfaces.
I will join them for the start next Sunday and see how I go. It would be a qualifying distance if I do it.
Well good luck @Katherine! Fingers crossed for you.....:okay:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
And I'm off!
Decided to see if I'd recovered enough from the Christmas cold and went for gentle ride on Patsy #2 The CX. I've lost my Blackburn computer, and there were a couple of road closures, but it was a familiar enough route for me to have no qualms claiming my first point.
I'll see how the rest of the month unfolds, but it's been in the back of my mind for some time to attempt a 50 mile ride each month this year, as well as the 50 k. (Just for the double points, you understand. :whistle:) I'll let you know how I get on.

kapelmuur

Veteran

This may not be a practical or sensible suggestion, but could you use tri bars to take the weight on your arms and off your hands?

Top Bottom