The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
went for a 100.3km ride today= put my ride in the 50km/month challenge, but I'm going to try for 100....alas today.s was hard work....forgot how much fun the climb from Cottesbrooke to Hasslebech was....indeed I found a few 12% limbs...I'm sure it was easier last time. Plus my bike was filthy when I got back. Good fun though.....

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
56km done yesterday with 705m of climbing, that's good going round here. Just the 100km to go for January now, for some reason I'm looking at doing the triple again....

bruce1530

Guru
.. and I’m in.

Not got a great deal of motivation at present - hopefully that’ll pass soon. But wanted to get a 50 in this month, and the next couple of weekends look busy, so needed to get out today or tomorrow.

Weather was damp and breezy this morning - had planned to get out about 9, but it was nearer 11 by the time I got moving. Rain was off when I left home, and it “sounded windy”, although when i went outside it felt reasonably calm.

I had planned a 60k trip - 25k up the coast, then a loop along some farm roads to pick up a couple of elusive veloviewer tiles, then back home.

Turned left at the top of the road, and the wind hit me in the face.

As I reached the exposed coast road, the wind strengthened, and to be honest it was pretty miserable. Heavy going. I reached a roundabout on the main road, which normally takes me around half an hour. Looked at the Garmin - 40 minutes!

20k done, and I’m in Largs. Keep plodding on north along the coast, until I reach the 25k marker. At that point, I was planning to head inland for those elusive veloviewer squares. But they would involve a fairly substantial hill, and a muddy track. Or maybe incurring the wrath of golfers. Let’s save that one for a dry day - I turned home.

30k, back in Largs. Rain was pretty heavy, and I had discovered that my big gloves are windproof and warm when dry - but they're not waterproof!

Stopped at my usual coffee stop - they’re getting to know what sort of coffee I like - a wave when I was locking up the bike outside, and when I got in, the coffee was waiting on the counter.

Back on the road. Heavy rain, and wind stronger - initially from the side, and then behind me. Roads very wet, but the tailwind meant I was making good progress.

Home, 51k, and Strava says I got personal bests on 3 segments in the last few miles on the exposed coast road. That tailwind was stronger than I thought!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'm in with a hard won 50k.
In my mind it was going to be a 50 miler, but the wind made it hard work, despite choosing a route which had a roughly north/south section of around 12 miles. Some of the gusts on the most exposed sections when hitting me sideways, made me grateful the roads were quiet. Throw in a couple of showers and the extra 18 or so miles to make it a 2 point ride were far from appealing.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
This was an accidental point acquisition: I decided to try out the first section of a prospective 50 miler for this month, and found (via Google maps) that I'd just scrapped over the finish line for 50 k! ^_^
But, boy, was it ever windy!

This at Elmsett.

photo 4.JPG

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Not in yet, winds of 45mph this morning.
Still got next week to try. Fingers crossed.
Yes, me too. Been ill for little more than a week. Itching to get back out on the bike.

Top Bottom