The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I joined the club ride last Sunday but only for the middle section, doing 20 miles, which was enough for my hands. I tried to really use my core and not put too much pressure on my hands but they were still sore, especially going over uneven surfaces.
I will join them for the start next Sunday and see how I go. It would be a qualifying distance if I do it.

I've a long-term wrist issue too, so am very sensitive to impacts/vibrations when riding. Over the last few years I've gradually evolved the bikes with:-
Thicker bar tape, gel inserts beneath the tape, carbon bars, wider/tubeless tyres (that can safely be ridden at lower pressures). All worth trying in my opinion.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
J had to get out today on a bike to stop my brain from fizzing over. In the process I acquired another point. :smile:

And saw this as Henley.

photo 2.JPG

bluenotebob

Veteran
Welcome to the challenge @bluenotebob and good luck or is that bon chance

Hey ! that was nice of you, thanks. That's the longest ride I've ever done in January - easy in spring/summer/autumn, but I'd felt daunted at the prospect of doing it in mid-January. It turned out to be a lot easier than I'd feared .. .which only goes to show the benefits of challenging yourself (you don't know what you're capable of if you don't try).

Bon chance is just fine, thanks. Good luck to you, too

Domus

Guru
Yes, it was pretty hard work for sure.

On my trudge home from Manchester City Centre (up hill) to Sunny Radcliffe, My front light died, I unclipped left at a red light then couldn't clip in again. Struggled to a well lit petrol station and hopped on one foot while trying to extricate a twig jammed in my cleat using a discarded lolly stick.

With any luck it was all caught on CCTV and will appear on YouTube any time soon.

Then got home to a rather frosty welcome from Senior Management. :angry:

On my trudge home from Manchester City Centre (up hill) to Sunny Radcliffe, My front light died, I unclipped left at a red light then couldn't clip in again. Struggled to a well lit petrol station and hopped on one foot while trying to extricate a twig jammed in my cleat using a discarded lolly stick.

With any luck it was all caught on CCTV and will appear on YouTube any time soon.

Then got home to a rather frosty welcome from Senior Management. :angry:
But you *didn't* get a puncture too? How odd! When I get a ride like that one puncture (at least) seems inevitable. :laugh:
Welcome to the Winter wonderland.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
About time I got my finger out and contributed here!
Great 100km last Sunday, meeting up with 8 or 9 other CC'ers for a pedal around Central London, including a flight in the cable car over the Thames as the new Woolwich Ferry isn't working yet.
The only chilly bit was while we were at the cafe for a burger and coffee. (And a serious headwind as I rode up The Greenway on my solo ride back to the car.

:smile:

bluenotebob

Veteran
About the points .. .sorry if this has already been asked and answered ... I'm going to give myself two points for every ride this year between 80 and 100km. There's some very cold weather forecast for next week, so I doubt that I shall be on the bike much. I want to go back over 2018 and calculate my total points for that year (even though I didn't cycle in January) and measure my progress this year against last.

No-one's going to jump up and down and shout "foul" if I claim two points for an 80km ride - right?

kapelmuur

Veteran
About the points .. .sorry if this has already been asked and answered ... I'm going to give myself two points for every ride this year between 80 and 100km. There's some very cold weather forecast for next week, so I doubt that I shall be on the bike much. I want to go back over 2018 and calculate my total points for that year (even though I didn't cycle in January) and measure my progress this year against last.

No-one's going to jump up and down and shout "foul" if I claim two points for an 80km ride - right?

You’ll have to make it 81km, 80 isn’t quite 50 miles:rolleyes:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru

The points are purely a personal challenge is you set a target this year and next year you try and beat it . It's not a competition . 2 points are for 50 miles (80.46km) and above and less than 100km (62.14miles) which 3 points . Sorry for mixing kms and miles hope this clears it up so in Kms 2 points in 80.46

bluenotebob

Veteran
The points are purely a personal challenge is you set a target this year and next year you try and beat it . It's not a competition

Thanks @13 rider - yes, I understand that it's purely a personal challenge. That's why I wanted to calculate my 2018 points total first and then try and exceed it this year. I just didn't want to spend time working out last year's points total only for someone to point out that 80km wasn't worth two points (corrected as 80.46km).

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Thanks @13 rider - yes, I understand that it's purely a personal challenge. That's why I wanted to calculate my 2018 points total first and then try and exceed it this year. I just didn't want to spend time working out last year's points total only for someone to point out that 80km wasn't worth two points (corrected as 80.46km).
As everything is a personal challenge I work on the principal if you think it counts it counts. feel free to count last points as you see fit after all you the one trying to beat it

Top Bottom