The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
47 mile club ride today, that wont sync.... It looks like my old phone as become incompatible with the strava app :headshake:
We believe you :okay:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Two 50km+ rides over the weekend. One with a mate yesterday to pick up a pie from Scotch Lodge Farm shop/cafe, and one today, freezing, to get a package from work, then over to Boughton farm shop to pick up a couple of kilos of spuds.
The temperature was hovering on zero all the way round, but it was lovely and sunny :sun:

demro

I am new to the forum and have read with interest how you are all getting on with the challenge. So thought it was time i started to log my rides for both the 50km and 100km challenges. I have already completed both qualifying rides but it has been difficult fitting them in with only having weekends to get on the bike. Fingers crossed for the rest of the year and good luck to everyone. Cheers

Slick

Guru
I did mine on Friday. I knew I'd be struggling especially as I couldn't make my usual ride with a mate last Sunday as I was flying down to Peterborough. I also knew tomorrow is looking like tough conditions and I had plans for today, so I finished work at midday after cycling to work but didn't count those 24 kilometres although I was tempted. It feels like some time since I've been over the Erskine bridge that used to be my old commute, so I headed from the grey skies at Inchinnan towards the inviting blue skies of Dumbarton. I'd forgotten how nice it was to be that side of the clyde again and riding away from the traffic on the cycle path was a welcome change as fighting for position on my usual commute does become tiresome at times. We always get a packed lunch on a Friday so I sat at the mouth of the river Levin and ate half of quite a large baguette before turning for home and the grey skies of Inchinnan. From there it was just my usual commute ride home which was murder at the usual pinch points but I was so delighted to get my January qualifying ride in that this might be my go to ride when I'm struggling and just need to get one done. Just a smidge under 60k for the ride and 84k for the day.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I did a couple of rides recently (38 and 39km) that, with a little bit more thought and organisation, could easily have been 50+km runs. I thought I’d have a chance yesterday of doing a longer run but I wasn’t sure about the wind. I climbed up out of the village and the wind picked me up and threw me east towards Mauron. I thought I’d head south on the V3 Voie Verte and see how far I’d get, knowing that I’d have the wind mostly behind me on the way home.

It was a battle – the V3 follows the line of an old railway and is mostly along tree-lined and sheltered river valleys, but even so – 27km of riding against that wind had me seriously knackered by the time I got to the Nantes-to-Brest canal south of Ploermel. I cycled along the canal to Montertelot, stopped and scoffed a Kinder Bueno and tried to work out the best way home, aware that I was about two hours away and that it still gets dark early in January.

I tracked back along the canal and onto the V3 again heading north … with the wind behind me at last, I was going faster uphill on some sections than I had been going down them. I have a handful of options of getting home directly but they all involve open, exposed and relatively high countryside, so I opted for the shortest – even if it meant tackling a few sharp inclines. I got home just as the light was failing – after about 4 hours on the bike. Weary and hungry, but happy to have finished my longest ride of the year so far – 64.03km: not very long, but long enough for late January.

Here's a photo of Montertelot from May last year (the footpath in the photo is the EV1 Veloroute that runs from Norway to Portugal, or something like that..)

Montertelot3 red 04052018.JPG

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I haven't ridden a full 50kms since doing a 200km audax in October 2017. think since then my longest ride has been about 30km . Plan is to set of Westward through the Vale of Glamorgan tommorow and open my account in the 50 km a month challenge. Hopefully will be back tomorrow eve with some pictures . Fingers crossed as its my last chance for January so it could be crash and burn before leaving the runway if anything stops me.

I dont do strava Do rides have to be recorded to count or is this an honesty challenge? I could upload the gps track to map my ride if required but prefer honesty rather than fretting over uploading "evidence"

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I haven't ridden a full 50kms since doing a 200km audax in October 2017. think since then my longest ride has been about 30km . Plan is to set of Westward through the Vale of Glamorgan tommorow and open my account in the 50 km a month challenge. Hopefully will be back tomorrow eve with some pictures . Fingers crossed as its my last chance for January so it could be crash and burn before leaving the runway if anything stops me.

I dont do strava Do rides have to be recorded to count or is this an honesty challenge? I could upload the gps track to map my ride if required but prefer honesty rather than fretting over uploading "evidence"
Good luck @Banjo . Challenge is done on trust no need for proof . Your only challenging yourself so if you say it's 50km it's 50km

Top Bottom