The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Born and grew up in Bolton and lived for a few years in Egerton in the '60s . Not into bikes at the time. Big changes in Bolton, now a very sad town, Bury has overtaken Bolton as a shopping destination. Hard to believe.
What took you to France?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Cracking sunny morning but sooo cold. :cold:
Ice on the moors above Bury and Bolton so baled out in Belmont and avoided the climb up to Rivington. Went along Scout Road instead and had fabulous views over Bolton and Manchester. Another 50K took me just over 300K for the month so far. Very pleased :angel:
Yes, it WAS cold! I was out at 08:30 to go for a blood test and saw patches of ice where the gritters hadn't been. Even though there was a lovely blue sky I decided to go straight home after the test. The main roads were clear but the high roads that I like would have been very iffy in places.

bluenotebob

Veteran
Born and grew up in Bolton and lived for a few years in Egerton in the '60s . Not into bikes at the time. Big changes in Bolton, now a very sad town, Bury has overtaken Bolton as a shopping destination. Hard to believe.
What took you to France?

I left Bolton in 1968 and I've only been back a few times in the last 50 years. I'd heard that it had changed a lot - and not for the better. A bit like the football team … I spent most of my youth in the Great Lever End (they were good times) … that's a sad story too.

What brought me out here is a very long story - I guess a simple answer would be "life". I moved a lot within the UK, then Europe - then around 25 years ago I found an idyllic corner of central Brittany and bought an old farmhouse - initially as a 'holiday home', but now that I'm retired, I live here all the year round.

Domus

Guru
Great Lever End (they were good times) … that's a sad story too.

Manchester Road Paddock for me. I remember Big Sam and a very young Peter Reid making their debuts.
Not watched footy for 15 years now.

Had a couple of nice holidays in Brittany when the girls were small. Eurocamp near Carnac before they fenced in the stones.
Happy days

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I decided that, as the weather is cold and I don't really like the cold, that I would post Sundays rides. A 22 miler and a 10 miler a while after as I was just so flipping cold as I looped back through Downham.
I got all warmed up and was persuaded back out on my other bike by the chap. 2 points in January will do me. If the cold breaks, I might look at another point ride but I am not terribly worried about it.
I did go out last night, did half a mile and had the 'stuff this for a game of soldiers' convo with chap and went back home and off to the pictures instead.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Glad I've already banked this months rides, as the forecast for tomorrow looks grim.
I did have the startings of a plan to wrap January up with another half, and combine it with bagging a few letters for the ABC thread but it's currently snowing, is meant to do that on and off all night and then not get warmer than 2 degrees all day tomorrow :cold:, so tomorrows ride will be on the turbo.

Sunday was always ruled out due to other plans.

Good luck if you're out there this weekend. :okay:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Glad I've already banked this months rides, as the forecast for tomorrow looks grim.
I did have the startings of a plan to wrap January up with another half, and combine it with bagging a few letters for the ABC thread but it's currently snowing, is meant to do that on and off all night and then not get warmer than 2 degrees all day tomorrow :cold:, so tomorrows ride will be on the turbo.

Sunday was always ruled out due to other plans.

Good luck if you're out there this weekend. :okay:

Well, it snowed again overnight so that's a cheeky 21 miles on the turbo just completed. The snow has largely melted now (obvs) but I'm not risking it.

Katherine

Guru
I'm in!!! :bicycle:^_^:girldance:
(37 miles )
I'll log it later.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
After silly stuff last week, and another audax next weekend I was taking it easy this weekend. Ride planned with OH yesterday to Clevedon as he hasn't/doesn't ride much in winter so he needed some miles before next Sat. I told him it was going to clear up in the afternoon, did it heck. Absolutely soaked but we did a Belmont and warmed up with a coffee in Clevedon but could not face making the 40km (most direct route home) into 50km. so I planned a bit of an extension to short club ride this morning and hacked Belmont twice before Chew Valley. No rain but it got colder and colder brr. At least a decent 60km so the challenge made me add a little bit more.

gavgav

Guru
I’m up and running for 2019, with one of the worst entry rides in the 4 years I’ve been doing the challenge! Drizzle, Fog, Torrential Rain, Mud and Water. It was a case of having to get out though, as it might be my last chance for the Month.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm in!!! :bicycle:^_^:girldance:
(37 miles )
I'll log it later.

Great stuff, well done! :wahhey:

I’m up and running for 2019, with one of the worst entry rides in the 4 years I’ve been doing the challenge! Drizzle, Fog, Torrential Rain, Mud and Water. It was a case of having to get out though, as it might be my last chance for the Month.

That sounds like my qualifying ride in December for the 2018 challenge ^_^
Well done for sticking at it - it's amazing what these challenges make you do. :okay:

Top Bottom