The 2020 Half century (50km or 50m) a month Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
A day out with 3 mates in West Lancashire and Merseyside, strong cool winds all day but stayed dry. Good job too, the ride over very flat farmland would have been dreadful with wind driven rain but some nice villages and quiet lanes made up my flattest ride of the year it was a very gentle 54 Kms and another point in the bag. :okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Just back from a week in Cornwall for a slightly different holiday to normal due to covid but thankfully that didn't stop me riding my bike .
Weekly stats 8 rides 178 miles with just 16065ft of upness:surrender:. Managed 3 50km rides but I have to confess I did do rides of 25 miles and 44 miles and didn't carry on to complete the half centuries for this I sincerely apologize to anyone I have berated for doing the same . In my difference each mile meant another 100ft of upness and legs began to feel all the constant climbing which is mainly short 10% plus ramps

bruce1530

Guru
In my town:

Sign: "A78 completely closed to all traffic, Friday 8pm til 6am Monday at power station for resurfacing. Use diversion”. That’s about 8 miles north of here,

Leaving the town, where the A78 joins the bypass: "A78 completely closed Friday 8pm til 6am Monday at power station for resurfacing. Use diversion” - and a big “Right Arrow”.

Next village: "A78 completely closed Friday 8pm til 6am Monday at power station for resurfacing. Use diversion” - and a big “Right Arrow”.

Leaving that village:

“A78 closed, 1 mile ahead. Local traffic only."

Half a mile further on: cones across most of the road, sign “A78 closed at power station. Local access only.

Half a mile further on: Cones and barriers across the whole road. No Entry signs. Road closed signs. Flashing lights. CCTV. And a guy manning the barricades. Beyond that, a swarm of trucks and resurfacing machines.

There’s a bike route down a bridleway, so bikes can get through.

I was stopped there for a couple of minutes - during that time, at leats 6 cars drove up, past all the signs, cones and bollards. Some did sheepish U-turns and headed back, others gave the roads guy a mouthful of abuse.

So did they not see the signs and bollards, or did they assume that they were only meant for other people....?

Good 50k ride :-)

Domus

Guru
Car in for service so bike in the back and a ride to while away the time. I'm sure my calendar says July at the top, blooming cold wind and drizzle over Deerplay and a temperature of 11 Deg C on my Wahoo, glad I had my long sleeve jersey. :cold:. Anna's Café in Weir was open so popped in for a coffee and a warm, very nice too would recommend. Back for the car at 13.30 with 81 Kms and 1,000 metres of upness done. Back to Grange tomorrow, more gardening and a couple of rides hopefully.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Off work all this week as I'd booked a fortnight off months ago for a two week holiday in Cornwall which we changed to 1 week due to covid rules restricting our normal holiday . So in-between a garden project I trying for a 50km ride every day . Sunday 50km ,Monday 50 miles and another 50km ride today

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Hadlieigh 14.7.20.JPG

Got in a ride today that included Watson's Hill in Semer, Suffolk. I had got the impression from comments elsewhere that it was a bit of a beast, but there a quite a few more difficult 'climbs' that I know of locally. Still, it's in the bag. (Incidentally, most of you outside Suffolk would consider the bumps we have here as a minor inconvenience, but feel free to try Devonshire Road in Ipswich if you're ever down this way. It has a hand rail for pedestrians. ^_^ I'm determined to try it on my 2-speed Brompton one day.)
I did take some pics. This to the north of Hadleigh.

Got out again for a sunny spin around Loughborough, skirting round EMA along the way and having a crack at the local delight that is Beacon Hill. 33.34 miles to the good today in just a smidge under 2 hours. Having analysed my effort up Beacon Hill it was clear that I have much work to do to be in with a chance of knocking 90-120 seconds off my time and keeping up with some of the others! I love climbing and I certainly fear no climb but I am quite sluggish at them.
On a positive slant the ride was overall quite pacey and the hill climb was nevertheless completed, even if a little sluggish!

Domus

Guru
Another mizzly July day. Set off in rain jacket for a ride around the Bay. Sad to see the Jazz Café in Arnside has closed down. Onwards and upwards to Silverdale and an open coffee shop. The drizzle stopped but the wind stayed brisk. A few bikes about mainly tourers that I suspect were on the Bay Cycle Way. 68 Kms and another point.

Got out again for a sunny spin around Loughborough, skirting round EMA along the way and having a crack at the local delight that is Beacon Hill. 33.34 miles to the good today in just a smidge under 2 hours. Having analysed my effort up Beacon Hill it was clear that I have much work to do to be in with a chance of knocking 90-120 seconds off my time and keeping up with some of the others! I love climbing and I certainly fear no climb but I am quite sluggish at them.
On a positive slant the ride was overall quite pacey and the hill climb was nevertheless completed, even if a little sluggish!

Wait until its resurfaced.....that'll speed you up it!

Domus

Guru
Much better day in Sunny Radcliffe, I tried a new route for a change, through Atherton and Leigh where I called in at Daughter number 3 for coffee and a KitKat 👍 Then through Hindley and Blackrod and onto Rivington. It was like Bank Holiday, the Second Coming and free beer day all rolled into one. The parking was abysmal, at the bottom of Sheep House Lane they were parked on the first bend so cars, motor bikes and bikes had to filter through the best they could. Stop-start on that climb is not a good thing. Once past the worst, the climb got steeper, the sun came out and I got hotter and hotter, I tried in vain to unzip my jersey, not wanting to stop again I tried to unzip using both hands. Bad idea, very bad idea. Wobble, wobble grass bank. I say grass but it was a bed of nettles. I was lucky in a way as when I got back on my feet I had a six inch stick up my left shorts leg. I remembered a story about Alan Hinkes on a climbing expedition where he fell into a bush and had a branch spear his thigh. Onwards and upward to Belmont then by a short but exhausting ramp of 18% to the A666 and Green Arms Road and home via Bury.
Quite a day :wacko:

Top Bottom