The Amateur Astronomy Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Typical, I think Juipter is closer to us at the moment, but it’s also close to the moon.

If the cloud breaks you may get some good viewing, fingers crossed for you.

I didn't check which planet it was but yes, Jupiter at 2 o'clock relative to the moon and slightly higher in the sky, very bright atm. Usually id get my old birdscope out and even by hand, I can usually pick out 4 pinpricks of light that are some of her moons. Might try tonight if its clear.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
I managed to get a decent look at Jupiter tonight at 19:00, unfortunately I couldn't use my 6mm eyepiece with a 2x Barlow as it just gave a fuzzy image, but the eyepiece on its own gave me good views of the different colours.

I'm now on the hunt for better eyepieces. 😊

Johnno260

Veteran
I managed to get a decent look at Jupiter tonight at 19:00, unfortunately I couldn't use my 6mm eyepiece with a 2x Barlow as it just gave a fuzzy image, but the eyepiece on its own gave me good views of the different colours.

I'm now on the hunt for better eyepieces. 😊

The quest for better eye pieces, gets expensive fast, but worth the investment.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
The quest for better eye pieces, gets expensive fast, but worth the investment.
Without going mad and laying out three figures on each lens I reckon that by spending around £50 on something decent I should be able to see a difference compared to what I've got now, but then once I'm used to them.............🤣

I'm already trawling a certain auction site to see what's available.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Yep - I think I saw you there! :okay:

How could you tell? 😂

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was thinking the other night... what if those of us in urban areas were treated to the occasional 'dark sky' event; where the local council switches off all street lighting in an entire town for an hour or two when the forecast is clear?

It wouldn't work in large urban areas such as Manchester or Brum, but little places such as Lancaster & Morecambe, Kendal or Keswick just had a short time of no light pollution, once or twice each winter so we could see the sky in all its glory.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
do you have a hill in the way?

I'm still seeing Jupiter in the western sky 'til at least bedtime.

Built up area with tall trees, at the moment I can see Jupiter over the top of them, but even with the leaves fallen I can't see Saturn through them.

Lovely clear sky here tonight.

Top Bottom