The Bassist and Guitarist thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Attention bass players everywhere:
Flat wound bass strings are usually pretty pricey. I saw that "Adagio" flatwound bass strings can be bought on ebay for about £17 per set, and as I have had great success with their acoustic guitar strings, I bought a set for my Crafter (cheapo) bass. They are fab!
I have no connection to the company or the ebay sellers. I am just a happy bass player....

the snail

Guru
I was wondering what the post-Brexit situation is with Thomann orders so I looked it up...
I never got my guitar from Thomann - ordered twice, both times made it to a courier, then returned to sender. I think others have had more luck though. Be aware there are pitfalls though, e.g. if you return the instrument, it's not a zero cost option - you can get stung for customs fees, postage etc. Someone got stung for vat because a repaired item wasn't marked as such, and customs charged vat....
I gave up in the end, and had to buy a more expensive guitar from the UK instead:whistle:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Flat wound bass strings are usually pretty pricey. I saw that "Adagio" flatwound bass strings can be bought on ebay for about £17 per set, and as I have had great success with their acoustic guitar strings, I bought a set for my Crafter (cheapo) bass. They are fab!
I have no connection to the company or the ebay sellers. I am just a happy bass player....
apart from not squeaking like roundwound do... what's the difference in sound between flat and round?

Personally I like a fatter, duller sound from my guitar strings. To me they sound best when they've been on for a few months... new strings are just too bright.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Im a big fan of Adagio nickel flat wounds.

Flats give a less clangy, more controlled tone for those of us who like the bassy 'whump' sound, albeit with a little less sustain. Some hardcore rockers who really dig in while playing prefer rounds, but flats generally seem the prevail.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Those cheap Olympia flats are ok, but do take a good bit of playing in before they stop sounding a little muddy on the E. The Adagio nickel flats are better for the same price.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might recall I bought this SX bass cheaply and I've replaced the machine heads and corrected the bridge position.
The problem is the strings don't line up on the neck. I suspect the neck is slightly off caused I think by poorly routed neck pocket. @raleighnut said the neck had been put on skewiff, good spot.
Anybody concur?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thanks DC. It is tight. I think I might just get another body. This one is extremely heavy, think it must be some sort of mahogany.

Xipe Totec

Frrrg rrrrf yrrrr crrrnds
Interesting. Neck pickup's out of alignment too but bridge pickup isn't. Not sure how that happens, these things will be CNC'd out in their thousands.

Looks like you might have gone slightly too far the other way realigning the bridge - try using each side of the neck to mark guide lines, by running a straight-edge down to the bridge position.

I've found wooden cocktail sticks, superglue & a Stanley knife blade an effective toolkit for bodging filling before re-drilling errant screwholes!

Top Bottom