The big one.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twiggy

Me and my father are starting to train for the big ride, lands end to john o'groats.

We'll be supported by a car + trailer tent combo. Stopping at camp sites to rest before moving off each morning.
We're taking at least a year to train, more for my father who hasn't done any serious distance cycling in years.

A lot of people are telling me that I'm crazy for wanting to do this, am I?

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
In a word, no. At least I don't think you're crazy, you are just exhibiting the classic sense of adventure that has been drummed out of most of today's 'nanny state' supported populus. Rest assured there are still some of us that love this sort of thing.

yenrod

Twiggy said:
Me and my father are starting to train for the big ride, lands end to john o'groats.

We'll be supported by a car + trailer tent combo. Stopping at camp sites to rest before moving off each morning.
We're taking at least a year to train, more for my father who hasn't done any serious distance cycling in years.

A lot of people are telling me that I'm crazy for wanting to do this, am I?

All the best hope you have a good time - just think all those new places :?:

jags

Guru
are you and your dad good friends who calls the shot's ,if you guys can have a laugh together then go for it who better to tour with than your dad fantastic memorys to look back on .hope you have a blast remember the old man has a few years on you so take it easy and dont keep asking are you ok dad.

goo_stewart

No, not crazy. Just normal folk who do exciting things.

I am a bit worried that you are taking a year to train for it, no real need for that build up. I tend not to train for long trips as you ride yourself in after a couple of days. Sure, do some training, but there is no need to take a year over it!

OP
OP
Twiggy

Twiggy

We're taking a year due to timing constraints.

Plus I'm planning it as 100 mile a day runs. Something I can manage, but I know my dad struggles at 50 miles.

So it's likely to be interesting.

He also has a tendency to sprint, then slow right down.
*rolleyes*
Men

Amanda P

Legendary Member
My initial reaction was, you're not crazy for doing the ride, you're crazy for wanting to take a car. There's really no need, and with the price of petrol these days, if you leave it behind you can afford a few B&B's or hotels with the money you'd save.

It'd be a much bigger adventure to do it unsupported.

Why the long days, by the way? Why not just accept 50 mile days and start tomorrow?

Top Bottom