The Canal. The cycle rage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Have what sort of priority? Little bit ambiguous.
The whole towpath and access question is ambiguous. Very few are public footpaths and (i think i'm right in saying) there are no bridleway towpaths - as a horse was part an parcel of the boat it was pulling and not as transport in its own right there is no historical claim for BW status. So most foot traffic is permissive by virtue of a 'kindly landowner' (obviously not where definitive footpath rights exist) and all cycle usage is permissive too. - so in that respect the IWA can make their own rules.

Their towpath policy is here, make of it what you will - https://www.waterways.org.uk/information/policy_documents/towing_paths

I guess I misunderstood, then. Your paths seem to have different laws to shared paths in Australia. My apologies if I offended anyone: it was unintentional.
no offence taken. - shared paths in these parts usually just mean 'multi-user' and very rarely mean 'equal rights'.. especially where bikes are concerned

Tim Hall

Me too - very annoying levels of speediness - esp approaching blind bends with low-bridges ... had a couple of scares this weekend .. the nice weather brings them out! LOL

btw - what do you think about bells in this context? I read somewhere someone saying they thought a bell was more polite than a spoken word .. but I dont actually think that, when I am walking I think the bell sounds rude .. but when i am cycling and hear a bell it seems OK and I move over to let the other rider pass ... crazy mixed up kid that I am!
The Leslie Phillips bell works best in such encounters:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah here we go again. You get told again and again if you want to ride at more than walking pace, you must go mix it with motorists even when that is a longer route. No cycleway is allowed to be quicker than roads becuase it breaks their worldview. Far too many people here seem to have inhaled far too many exhaust fumes far too deeply.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A bit 'off topic' but there is a bit of cyclepath I use, it runs along the ring road across the top of Western Park in Leicester. There are 2 paths 6 foot apart, one for cycles nearest the road and the other (separated by around 6 foot of grass and the odd tree) for pedestrians. Do the pedestrians use their path, do they B.......y despite it being clearly marked as a cyclepath. :cursing:

It does show that we are not familiar with the right practices or even aware of signboards. Though a shared path, there are signboards along the canals that state that pedestrians have priority. Even if is not stated I wonder why the assumption that cyclist should have right of way on a shared path.

Inconsiderate pedestrians that take centre but unable to move at a reasonable pace or those walking in formation that blocks others are nuisance to all and not just cyclists.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I always find, cycling up to them in ZED mode works for me.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGPde9vFoqc

MarkF

Guru
I use the towpath every day and when I am cycling the walkers get on my tits and when walking, the cyclists do. I see bad/rude behaviour every day from walkers and cyclists but IMO the guys on MTB's and full kit are the main cause of the angst on these popular paths, they go too fast, they behave like school run 4x4 drivers, me, me, me.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I don't ride towpaths but do occasionally ride shared use paths. Pedestrians coming towards me, make eye contact, slow down, say "thanks" when they move to the side. Pedestrians going the same way as me, ring the bell about 10m behind, if they don't move, slow down, wait until about 2m behind then say "excuse me please". When they move say "thanks"

Never had an issue

Top Bottom