The CC Trig Point bagger thread, now incorporating other interesting geographs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
"Unashamedly stolen the idea from the Col Baggers thread. That looked like great fun to me, but there is a dearth of Cols near me, so it was a no go.

Still, I liked the idea, but came up with a type of target more easily found in my part of the World...or in any part of the country... Trig Points.

Ideally ones you've sought on the bicycle, but I won't be sniffy if you happened to be driving past and leaped out the still moving car to snap a prime example of trig pointness.

I'm having my shoulder injection tomorrow, but after a day or two of recovery I'm going to go hunting myself. It seems to me a good motivation to go for a ride, an ongoing purposes, and the rides become more epic as you bag the easy local ones and start moving further afield."

keeping the post that started this.

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
KIlsyth today...
hadn't much time to faff about BUT saw this church..
(just can't resist)
NS 7160 7777 KIlsyth, Burnbrae Rd,Church.jpg

The building
Kilsyth Church.jpeg

(aye, we do get sunshine oop North)

1816, a much bigger Church was completed to accommodate 793 parishioners on this present location. The building was designed by a Mr Shepherd and the construction supervised by a Mr Lawrie from Dalkeith. The clock, tower and bell were gifted by the landowner, Sir Charles Edmonstone. Built of freestone and coated with lath and plaster on the inside, the heating was provided by coal fired stoves. In 1835, the Kilsyth Gas Company was formed and gas lighting replaced paraffin lamps.
paraffin lamps, eh?

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Spotted this CP boundary stone in Lympstone for the first time a couple of days ago. Apparently (according to http://www.dartmoor-crosses.org.uk/Devon_Marker_Stones/ED_Lympstone.htm) the inscription on this side reads WD [War Department] 1867, though I'm not entirely sure that's correct - looks more like 'VTD' from this angle, although that would make the V very narrow. On the other side is a much more modern CP inscription in inset lead.

dsc01870.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Spotted this CP boundary stone in Lympstone for the first time a couple of days ago. Apparently (according to http://www.dartmoor-crosses.org.uk/Devon_Marker_Stones/ED_Lympstone.htm) the inscription on this side reads WD [War Department] 1867, though I'm not entirely sure that's correct - looks more like 'VTD' from this angle, although that would make the V very narrow. On the other side is a much more modern CP inscription in inset lead.

View attachment 458494

It's amazing what people pass on a regular basis without seeing things

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
It's amazing what people pass on a regular basis without seeing things
It's one of the benefits of having the aim of taking interesting photos that one looks out for novel things to photograph. I've long played such games with friends and have now started a public Facebook Group called "Devon Photos - Where Am I?", so am being even more alert to curiosities etc. that might have been overlooked by lots of people, as the 'reveal' is so much fun.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's one of the benefits of having the aim of taking interesting photos that one looks out for novel things to photograph. I've long played such games with friends and have now started a public Facebook Group called "Devon Photos - Where Am I?", so am being even more alert to curiosities etc. that might have been overlooked by lots of people, as the 'reveal' is so much fun.

What a good idea , you could throw some of your French pictures in for fun

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
What a good idea , you could throw some of your French pictures in for fun
I think they might twig that Devon hasn't got any 7000ft mountains...

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Out and about the couple of days...
Mrs M drove me around a small area of Greenock today..
It did cost me lunch:ohmy:

Yesterday was a local walk and got three..

selection..
Greenock (bridge)
NS 2890 7555 Greenock, Knowe Rd, Bridge.jpg

Wall
NS 2634 7783 Greenock, Esplanade, Wall.jpg

one from yesterday's haul
Port Glasgow
NS 3277 7423 Port Glasgow, Clune Brae, Wall.jpg

Note highlighting around it..
wonder if it was used at some point for levels...
only newish build in the area, is a Lidl store around the corner...

Top Bottom