The Charge Spoon question

The Charge Spoon - what do you think?

• Lovely, like having my buttocks cosseted with eider down by angels.

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • Horrible, having a real spoon shoved up my jacksy would hurt less. A serving spoon.

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • I'm the obligatory person who always mentions Brooks bum perches when saddles are being discussed.

Votes: 15 20.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Torture. Rode 5 miles and stuck the damn thing straight on eBay
The Spoon or the Ladle? Not that I was looking or anything but I would have thought you were about the right build for a Spoon. Probably not big enough for a Ladle...…. :whistle:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
My commuter (Charge) bike came with it.

I can see why it gets rave reviews, but I was never comfortable on mine. That's largely due to me having wide sit bones hence why the Brooks B17 suits me well.

I have a WTB Pure V saddle on the commuter, which has a similar profile to the Spoon but with a wider perch and more padding.

Last edited:

Alan O

Über Member
I have a Spoon on my MTB, and it was very comfortable right away - without any of that feeling that it needed to break me in first. I use my MTB with slick-ish tyres like a hybrid too, so it's not just strict off-road use.

I find the Spoon very comfortable up to about 40-50 miles, but at that distance I start feeling a bit of bum pressure, and I wouldn't want to go much beyond that.

For longer distances, my Brooks Cambium C17 comes into its own - my biggest ride with that was 105 miles this year, and I still felt like I was in buttock heaven (though I was actually in Birkenhead). But the Cambium is four times the price of the Spoon, and if I didn't regularly ride more than 50 miles I'd have Spoons on all of my bikes.

This is without any padding in shorts, etc, which I've never used.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have 3 Charge Spoons. I would offer to sell you one but the postage from denmark would be more than the cost of the saddle. That is one of the advantages. They are cheap to buy and try. I like the Charge Spoon, they are a good saddle. Its the saddle I always steer people towards Charge Spoons and not to Brooks saddles. Brooks saddles are expensive and they do not suit everyone. They are an expensive mistake to make. I have a B17 and an Imperial. The Imperial was great straight out of the box and the B17 took 18 months to get right. Some people never get used to them.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And the voting is close, not far off neck and neck the people who like the Spoon, and then people who would prefer a real kitchen implement shoved up them.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I forgot to vote. Sorted now :blush:

videoman

Guru
Got Spoons on both on my regular bikes and recently cycled 114 miles in a day on one of them with no more than the usual slight discomfort. Tried literally a dozen or more saddles but not found anything as comfortable.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I bought a Flux in brown faux leather finish. Looked gorgeous. Some club members even asked if it was real leather as it looked so good.
I did ok on it for maybe 15-20 miles but after that it was the single most excruciatingly painful thing I've ever sat on. Sold it a few months later.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For Spoon you can substitute Knife as they have the same shaped deck, the knife is just cut away a bit.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I may of mentioned these before..brilliant ,cool and comfy, i dont get any ache
and cheap, i have 2 and there strong enough for Hard Tail mtb and road
Just ebay search carbon bike seat.

Example here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-3...hash=item3637c0d794:m:mdFiJI_nWGK8zhHdeeTP_ow

What's the longest ride you've done comfortably on a saddle like that, please ? I seem to get bruised soft bits between the sit-bones & am looking for a cutaway saddle to try out without wiping out my bike fund. TIA

Top Bottom