The Charge Spoon question

The Charge Spoon - what do you think?

• Lovely, like having my buttocks cosseted with eider down by angels.

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • Horrible, having a real spoon shoved up my jacksy would hurt less. A serving spoon.

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • I'm the obligatory person who always mentions Brooks bum perches when saddles are being discussed.

Votes: 15 20.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
No, indeed, the outer panels are visible different. However, the Spoon is indeed a Flux with some cosmetic changes to the cover - I still have the MBR magazine where it was reviewed at launch and the provenance was freely discussed.

As regards the Navigator, the silhouette and rails are identical. Could be an utter coincidence.

GuyBoden

Guru
If you're over 16 stone, I doubt if any of these thin racing type saddles will be comfy.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, now have you hit on something there? I'm a big chap and can't stand them.

Been surfing the web out of boredom...the Spoon, Flux and Navigator are all made by Velo. Pictures show that aside from the colour of the plastic, the underside shell1 and rails are indeed identical to the Spoon and Flux. The bits you dont see are the same, the silhoitte is the same, id wager the only visible difference (colour aside) is the material and stiching of the outer cover. Are there other facsimiles out there? Is it an insidious plot to take over the world by another name? We're through the looking glass here people... im on the verge of vecome a closet bike saddle spotter.

nickAKA

Über Member
For longer distances, my Brooks Cambium C17 comes into its own - my biggest ride with that was 105 miles this year, and I still felt like I was in buttock heaven (though I was actually in Birkenhead). But the Cambium is four times the price of the Spoon, and if I didn't regularly ride more than 50 miles I'd have Spoons on all of my bikes.

This is without any padding in shorts, etc, which I've never used.

How have you found the Cambium for longevity? Reading reviews it's a pretty even split between those that adore it & those that adore it but reckon it's not very robust (fraying, fading), which at the price surprises me. Contemplating trying a C17 or a B17...

Alan O

Über Member
How have you found the Cambium for longevity? Reading reviews it's a pretty even split between those that adore it & those that adore it but reckon it's not very robust (fraying, fading), which at the price surprises me. Contemplating trying a C17 or a B17...
I've only done about 2,000 miles on it, but I've had no problems so far. Cosmetically the only thing that's happened is that the surface has become a bit smoother.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I look forward to wearing out my threads
Just got a Spoon to experiment with. I ride a B17, swift and a cambium... So it's a mild departure.

I have a bit of heft, but find the spoon a really good fit. I need to get on my cambium soon to contrast. This has replaced the b17 for the winter most likely.

Last edited:

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Through thick and thin my Spoon has stayed comfy. By thick I mean around 16 stone, but thin I mean around 13 stone.

nickAKA

Über Member
I look forward to wearing out my threads
Just got a Spoon to experiment with. I ride a B17, swift and a cambium... So it's a mild departure.

I have a bit of heft, but find the spoon a really good fit. I need to get on my cambium soon to contrast. This has replaced the b17 for the winter most likely.

It'll be ineresting to hear how you get on with it in comparison to the Brooks; I'm assuming similar saddles suit similar folk (in the posterior sense).
I think my longest ride on the spoon has been about 40 miles as opposed to 100+ I've done on a fizik saddle on the good bike, would like to try a brooks on a longer ride.

freiston

Veteran
Ah, now have you hit on something there? I'm a big chap and can't stand them.

Been surfing the web out of boredom...the Spoon, Flux and Navigator are all made by Velo. Pictures show that aside from the colour of the plastic, the underside shell1 and rails are indeed identical to the Spoon and Flux. The bits you dont see are the same, the silhoitte is the same, id wager the only visible difference (colour aside) is the material and stiching of the outer cover. Are there other facsimiles out there? Is it an insidious plot to take over the world by another name? We're through the looking glass here people... im on the verge of vecome a closet bike saddle spotter.
Yup! I just took delivery this afternoon of my second Navigator (to go on the folder) it has the "Velo" marking on the underside:
43117002430_2e37665154_b.jpg

Whatever happened to saddlebag loops?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Yep, from that view it's identical in all but colour to the Spoon and Flux. Could be more out there under different guises than were think.

I wonder what the pricing is? The Flux used to be cheaper than the Spoon, but that seems to have reversed recently.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Spoon is as cheap as £14.99 at Tredz at the moment, so perhaps the popularity is helping the price somewhat. Flux's seem to be around the £18-£20 mark here and there.

Top Bottom