The Charge Spoon question

The Charge Spoon - what do you think?

• Lovely, like having my buttocks cosseted with eider down by angels.

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • Horrible, having a real spoon shoved up my jacksy would hurt less. A serving spoon.

Votes: 17 23.3%
  • I'm the obligatory person who always mentions Brooks bum perches when saddles are being discussed.

Votes: 15 20.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ok for me but not as nice as the Fabric saddles now on the main bikes

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Furness I've managed on one is 418km (Brown Madison Flux). It wasn't that comfortable at the end, but then again neither were the handlebars at that point so I'm not sure I can blame the saddle.

The same saddle and a black spoon have both been fine for two week camping tours so I think I may have a spoon shaped bum :tongue:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Erm... Am I too late?

I rode my B'Twin with standard saddle on the London Surrey 100, and by the time I got to Thames Ditton I felt like I'd had my swimsuit area kicked in by someone wearing hobnail boots.

The next year I rode my Cube Peleton on the same event, having substituted the standard saddle for a Charge Spoon. Not even a twinge.

Three of my five bikes now sport Charge Spoons. Bizarrely, Old Reliable, on which I do the bulk of my miles, doesn't. I need to remediate that.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
And the voting is close, not far off neck and neck the people who like the Spoon, and then people who would prefer a real kitchen implement shoved up them.
27 to 12. Nearly neck and neck??. I take it you are neither a mathematician or a gambling man. Its a landslide victory for the For group.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
27 to 12. Nearly neck and neck??. I take it you are neither a mathematician or a gambling man. Its a landslide victory for the For group.
The initial exit poll has not matched the reality once votes have been counted.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
And we all know that polls tend to predict the opposite of what actually happens these days. If only politicians understood that! :laugh:

And the Spooners romp into the lead. It looks like CycleChat will be remaining in the Spoon Union, and will not need to cherry pick the best bits.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
And we all know that polls tend to predict the opposite of what actually happens these days. If only politicians understood that! :laugh:

And the Spooners romp into the lead. It looks like CycleChat will be remaining in the Spoon Union, and will not need to cherry pick the best bits.

So was this actually a protest vote against spoons to prompt them to be more comfortable?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just googled the Navigator. Looks like a Charge Spoon copy, in much the same way the Spoon was a Flux copy.
Do you mean 'it looks like a saddle'?

That's probably why the spoon and other saddles that spawned it or have been copied from it are generally liked and work for so many people. If I were given a blank piece of paper and asked to draw a saddle (and if I could actually draw :laugh:) what I would sketch would pretty closely resemble the Spoon. It just is a saddle, without trying to be too clever, or too different, or gimmicky, or rule breaking. It just does what a saddle should do. The only thing I probably wouldn't have included in my drawing is the little recessed channel right at the back that allows the trumps to escape from between your cheeks without creating loud and embarrassing noises to alert following riders(a useful feature IMO :rolleyes:).

When I see some of the other 'comfort' designs on the market I often wonder WTF! Perhaps they should start by trying to get the saddle bit right before they begin to think about changing it in the quest for 'improvement'?

freiston

Veteran
Just googled the Navigator. Looks like a Charge Spoon copy, in much the same way the Spoon was a Flux copy.
Agreed that they look similar but so do many saddles, so I wouldn't want to call it without having one of each to compare. The stitching/panelling is different - the Navigator has no seams running along the "nose" and has kevlar anti-scuff panels on the back.

Top Bottom