The City of London Police.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

will in an average 6 months,

deal with 500 violent crimes, they will detect 50 % of these.

deal with 24 sexual assaults, over 75% of these will not be solved.

2 of those will be rapes, no one will be prosected or cautioned for those rapes.

180 premises will be burgled, the police will not catch the offender in 2 thirds of these offences.

208 people will have stuff stolen from their person, a stagerring 99% of these offences will not be detected.

144 pedal cycles will be stolen, sadly 132 of those cyclists will never see their bikes again.

600 cyclists will be be issued with FPN for RLJ

1 accident will take place involving a RLJ cyclist, it will result in a minor injury

The Commissioner, Mike Bowren, in his last annual report urged his staff to 'keep up the excellent work'.

domtyler

Über Member
I truly wish I found those stats surprising. But I don't.

coshgirl

Cyclists are the City of London Police's prime target

See their completely biased questionnaire for people who live, work or visit the City.
http://www.cityoflondon.police.uk/citypolice/forms/wardpolicingconsultation_b.aspx

You are given a choice to rate the following areas of concern - please note the order, 'Dangerous cyclists' is first. Nowhere is there an option for Dangerous drivers - which is ridiculous considering 1) the damage dangerous drivers do compared to dangerous cyclists and 2) the fact that the City has the worst record for deaths / injuries to cyclists in the country. The City of London Police seem to have been waging a war against cyclists, while allowing motorists to get away with a variety of offences. I have circulated this to Jenny Jones from the Green Party / London Assembly and also to our new Mayor.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

crime figures from COLP website. Information regarding FPN's and accident stats obtained via a freedom of information request to COLP. I can forward you the e mailed reply if you need it.

andy

Cab

andyfromotley said:
crime figures from COLP website. Information regarding FPN's and accident stats obtained via a freedom of information request to COLP. I can forward you the e mailed reply if you need it.

andy

No, no, I'm happy with the data but its important to establish some credibility for claims like that, as I'm sure you understand.

Shocking policing, IMHO.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm surprised it's only 600 FPNs. It should be many, many more. I presume your FOI request also covered other traffic violations? What were the stats on those?

Cab

srw said:
I'm surprised it's only 600 FPNs. It should be many, many more. I presume your FOI request also covered other traffic violations? What were the stats on those?

Oh, come on... You've got one RLJ cyclist involved in an injury causing event pere six months, and large numbers of assaults, thefts, sexual assaults etc. going unsolved. While I agree that a red light jumping cyclist getting caught has got no right to complain, you really believe that this should be a priority for policing?

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

Cab said:
Oh, come on... You've got one RLJ cyclist involved in an injury causing event pere six months, and large numbers of assaults, thefts, sexual assaults etc. going unsolved. While I agree that a red light jumping cyclist getting caught has got no right to complain, you really believe that this should be a priority for policing?[/quote]

No one beleives that it should be a priority for policing, not even COLP. If you have a look on their website they list their priorities. RLJ is not on there. Which begs the question as to why they are conducting a vendetta against cyclists?

Cab

andyfromotley said:
No one beleives that it should be a priority for policing, not even COLP. If you have a look on their website they list their priorities. RLJ is not on there. Which begs the question as to why they are conducting a vendetta against cyclists?

Yet in their questionnaire (linked to by coshgirl) one of the questions they've got is whether or not dangerous cycling is a concern, and its not like its an exhaustive list of concerns for people to pick from.

Whether they're saying its a priority or not, 600 in 6 months, or 100 per month, is a serious amount of FPNs to hand out for this when we look at the actual harm done. They can say its not a priority or simply fail to list it as such, the numbers show otherwise.

May I suggest that if it ain't too much trouble, would you care to post the contents of the email you got to this forum? Just the raw numbers/text will be interesting, I think.

CotterPin

Thanks for the link to the City Police questionnaire, coshgirl. I have sent off an email to the City of London Police, cc'ing Jenny Jones, complaining about their skewed priorities.

Top Bottom