The City that killed bike sharing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You know, I wouldn't put too much stock on what goes on presently in the States. These populists tend to rise up for a four year term, and then get smacked back into place after about then. Look at Jimmy Carter, for a very apt example. A provincial, surrounded by old boys and cronies and the Del Boy spectrum of politics until people wanted to return to business as usual . Local governments are already doing what they can, as well as state governments, especially. Look at cannibis. Illinois plans to allow hemp production, and may(probably) allow recreational cannibis usage as well. I have several wind and solar electricity producers near me, as well as a large natural gas field.

So what were the city authorities hoping to achieve by imposing these fees?

Were they hoping to create a revenue stream, in which case they were exceptionally stupid in setting them at a level that made the scheme unworkable. (25 times higher than any other US city ... I've read elsewehere)

Or were they simply trying to kill the schemes dead? In which case they were completely successful.

I can't but think, having read the article, and looked at the size of the fees, that it has to simply be the latter. It's not entirely irrelevant that in 2006 Dallas outlawed motorized scooters on the basis that they were invisible and hence dangerous, because drivers would be unable to see them, no matter how hard they looked.
I wouldn't take the linked article that seriously. It's from a libertarian site, underwritten by Koch brothers amongst others and it reads like it.

A wider search indicates that the bicycles were widely disliked in the community, were being routine vandalised and the subject of many complaints. That is not good, and suggests a deeply embedded car culture, but I think the mayor acted as he had to, in response to the voices and actions of his citizens.

View: https://twitter.com/BradfordPearson/status/973630266584510464

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
You know, dockless never seems to work out in the States, it seems. We have docked bike sharing, (Zagster) and it's slowly but surely catching on, mainly among students and the like, visitors to town. Because most people here already have a bike or two. But Normal, despite it's name, is an exception, bred through many years of cycling having a high profile in the community, with a lot of infrastructure for it. Much of Central and Northern Illinois are like this, in urban areas, although it's hard to generalize about these things. This place can be a little contradictory at times, after all, we have all the citizens the rest of the world got rid of.

NightCruiser

The use of public transport, of any kind, should always be designed according to demand and not simply for opportunistic reasons. For a city like Dallas, it's much more important to provide the necessary traffic areas for bike lanes than to establish incompatible systems that no one wants. Apart from that, the public transport in Dallas is well organized and is constantly being modernized, as you can read here. DC Electric, Liquefied Natural Gas, and Diesel are used for operation, which at least demonstrates a degree of environmental awareness. Seen in this light, the conditions in Dallas are not as bad as some here represent. :dry:

tamiya

Never had chance/excuse to visit there yet, but Dallas is like in Texas yes?

That's same Texas as in Texan tea, that they dig up to fuel all the gasguzzler pickups.

Just confirming :smile:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I think its just a matter of time before the scheme in London is deemed a failure too. I've seen so many permanently trashed bikes. Some teenagers seem to see it as a challenge to destroy them as fast as they can.

I think its just a matter of time before the scheme in London is deemed a failure too. I've seen so many permanently trashed bikes. Some teenagers seem to see it as a challenge to destroy them as fast as they can.
Dallas is far from the only city to have not got on with dockless bikes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/feb/25/gobeebike-france-mass-destruction-dockless-bikes
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-12/obike-dockless-bicycle-scheme-to-leave-melbourne/9860314

9059794-3x2-700x467.jpg

postman

Legendary Member
3171944412_639c1a0831_z.jpg

Walk in America no never.My last holiday in Orlando i walked i was out one morning and got in to a lovely conversation with a very large American man.I was going to a beautiful hotel on International Drive a fair walk,but it was a beautifuyl day,i think he thought i was strange,walking that far.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I wouldn't take the linked article that seriously. It's from a libertarian site, underwritten by Koch brothers amongst others and it reads like it.

A wider search indicates that the bicycles were widely disliked in the community, were being routine vandalised and the subject of many complaints. That is not good, and suggests a deeply embedded car culture, but I think the mayor acted as he had to, in response to the voices and actions of his citizens.

View: https://twitter.com/BradfordPearson/status/973630266584510464

at least they put them in the dock :giggle:

View attachment 442560
Walk in America no never.My last holiday in Orlando i walked i was out one morning and got in to a lovely conversation with a very large American man.I was going to a beautiful hotel on International Drive a fair walk,but it was a beautifuyl day,i think he thought i was strange,walking that far.
Lots of roads in America don't even have footpaths. Walking is for cities only and only for point to point, until one returns to their car or bus.

Top Bottom