The CycleChat 'find the creak' challenge thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Needs a bit more description of the creak such as when does it happen. Your "extreme pressure up a hill" indicates that it goes in time with the pedalling. You can try a number of things to help narrow it down if that is the case. Stand off the saddle? Creak gone, try greasing the seatpost and making sure the saddle is correctly bolted down. If its a Brooks saddle do the tension up a bit. Take your weight off your hands if you can? Creak gone? Look at the bars mounting and the headset. If neither and having checked what you've checked, make sure the bottom bracket is properly done up, that the pedal spindles are greased where they screw into the cranks and if they are spds that its not the rubber on the soles of your shoes creaking against the pedals. If you've eliminated all those look further afield like the rear wheel axle/mounting and also inspect the frame and forks very carefully for cracks. If all that fails, buy some earplugs.

raindog

er.....
I had a creak on one of my bikes a couple years ago. Took me weeks to track it down. First I thought it was from the BB area, then the headset etc etc - I checked, and sometimes changed, every component on the bike before I found it was a dry seat pillar. A small touch of grease and the noise was gone. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I feel a bit bad now, I took the bike out last night and the creak has diminished considerably. There is still some 'unease' in the drivetrain, I shall Mickle the chain and report back.

Thanks for everyone's input, you all fill me with great confidence!

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I had a creak on one of my bikes a couple years ago. Took me weeks to track it down. First I thought it was from the BB area, then the headset etc etc - I checked, and sometimes changed, every component on the bike before I found it was a dry seat pillar. A small touch of grease and the noise was gone. :rolleyes:

I'm considering greasing the seat post - when I loosened it to make a minor adjustment it dropped into the tube, I've never had that happen before!

Another one not mentioned is to put a smear of grease on the seat rails. That one took almost as long to find as the creak I had from bar clamp interface. It's all good fun and games.

Manguish

I'd say cleats.

Irrespective of changing them, make sure they are tight on your shoes. Mine creak if even slightly loose.

Tim Hall

Bottom bracket thread? I had that once. Removed the bottom bracket, put a couple of turns of Plumbers' Tape For Everything on the cups, re-fitted it. Silence.

Top Bottom